02-14-2015, 09:40 PM
User Info
OK, I missed the release this past September, but it's now on Netflix as a disk rental, or that's how I saw it anyway.

There were some hokie parts, but all in all it was decent and the ending was quite predictable and the right one IMO. It was decent not because of the production values, acting, or anything like that there is a message in it. A very powerful one. I especially like the symbolism at the very end. No one can possibly miss it.

Lots of folks will NOT like this movie since it's anathema to them. You need to see it to understand what I mean by that.

32 6,459
 02-15-2015, 06:16 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
Are all 3 worth viewing, reviews seem to state that the movie(s) is/are tedious?  And are they faithful to the book?

0 295
 02-15-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
Reviewers will NOT like these movies for whatever reason they conjure up. The only problem I had with them is that I couldn't watch them back to back. That's over since I have all 3 on order. I dropped the hammer on the purchase last night.

I never read the book. There has been much discussion regarding the book here with the previous parts of the movie. I prefer not to go there and revisit it all over again. The book is something like 10 to the twentieth power pages long. These are at most 6 hours of movie total (I didn't keep track). I gather it is not true to the book. It's similar, but not the same. Basically it's all about freedom/slavery/power/theft. But this thread is not about the book, but about the movie. It take time to develop the story and put it into perspective.

Personally I like the way the story developed, but in a few days I'll potentially be able to watch the movie trilogy in it's entirety over the course of a few days rather than years and be in a better position to judge. Frankly I'm surprised someone had spheroids enough in hellywood to make this movie at all.

For all the reasons I just stated I consider it an important movie to watch. Sorry, but I can't/won't go further. Watch the first in the series and you'll know if you want to watch the rest; 50% of viewers in the USA won't want to go further, but most of those won't even know about the movie. It's simply not on their radar.

32 6,459
 02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
I read the book and would do so againSmile  Pleased to hear from others who read the book, or watch the movie. 

Brian, you are right- if I may say so. This movie, rather what is behind it, is a big one

21 1,175
 02-17-2015, 09:39 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I've seen the first one, but like Brian was quite frustrated with the release schedule.  It was a very long time between 1 and 2, although 3 seemed to come much faster.  Now that I know 3 is on Netflix, I'll watch all 3 back to back.

The first one, I did like though, and was looking forward to having the complete series to watch.

18 1,186
 02-21-2015, 09:38 PM
User Info
It'll make far more sense watched that way. That is, back to back, but it will require 4 1/2 hours approx'.

I'm watching it again after watching #3 first. It's amazing how much I missed the first time through. But all of the clues are right there in the open; I simply didn't know what was going on. Obviously #3 ties everything together.

Skeptic, In watching #1 the other night I'm convinced that the reviewers thought it was tedious because they just don't "get it". They are in the 50% of people who simply can't understand, won't like the movie, and are incapable of liking it because it's simply off their radar entirely. I assure you that if one is among the 50% in the US who can like the movie it's not tedious at all (the percentage would be much lower in some other countries). It's a way one is wired that does it since the movie is about philosophy, but it's not dry at all.

Edit: I had some time to watch disk #2 tonight. One must get comfortable with different actors taking the lead roles due to the time factor between movies, but I found it to be edge of the seat type viewing. IMO they did a good job for someone making the movie with their own money. I know what happens in #3, but when I get 1 1/2 hours I'll watch that again to complete the trilogy as it was meant to be viewed. I'm glad I bought it. I need to have friends over to see it even if the hook is baited with dinner. It should make for good conversation.

32 6,459
 02-22-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
I saw parts one & two -- I've yet to see the last. I have read the book, and it is a masterpiece IMO. Rand's earlier book THE FOUNTAINHEAD was along similar lines. I didn't care for the movie version though. Ayn Rand would only allow the film to be made if she had final say on many aspects of it. She chose Gary Cooper for the lead, and I'm not a big fan.

Rand grew up under communism and had a profound respect for talent/genius. She saw first hand how a system of government that fails to reward excellence is doomed to crumble. This theme runs through all her work. I wonder, were she living, what she would think about the convoluted process that has resulted in this 3 part telling of her story.

She is definitely one of the twentieth century's most controversial writers. I think many of her ideas and main characters were drawn from some of the early super rich in American history; Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Rockefeller, Ford, and others -- along with some of the geniuses like Tesla, Edison, maybe King Gillette.

There's a very good series on Netflix called THE MEN WHO BUILT AMERICA that is well worth watching -- it deals with many of the situations encountered in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Euro

5 395