02-15-2015, 06:34 AM
User Info
Just received a box of goodies from Phil which took only two days to deliver via the Post Office to my door. The contents included an Eskimo Progress which is a stock Progress razor magically transformed into a work of absolute beauty by Bob Quinn who is also a vendor on this forum user name Eskimo (what else Wink ) Mr Quinn is certainly a very talented guy who knows how to transform razors into something special (also razor handles and brushes). Not to forget included in this package was a bottle of Pitralon Classic after shave (Germany) and my all time favorite blades Feathers.

Now for the razor. I am not quite sure how Bob does it but I am not going to guess because however it's done it is fantastic. The head is the stock Progress but the handle which I bought is black onyx with gold lacing and instead of a[Image: UlvgZrr.jpg][Image: 2aYR8zn.jpg] rough grip the handle is now very smooth but gripping it during my routine was very easy. The knob matches the handle perfectly and I didn't get that rough unfinished feel as with the regular Progress which in the past I had to sand paper down with triple zero steel wool. Bob added a little dot on the handle so you can match it to the numbers when making adjustments. I really like this razor and although it was more to the higher end (price wise) for razors it is well worth the cost. Phil includes free shipping which helps greatly. 
As with Progress razors the shave was great needing only two passes set at 3.5

121 13,126
 02-15-2015, 08:21 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Great razor Jerry.  Bob's work looks fantastic!  Thanks to Phil for bringing this to market.  I like the thickness of your barrel.  Anything to keep the Progress "alive" (Eskimo, Mergress). My favorite razor having gone back to it recently after stints with the Cobra and Mongoose.  Just love the way it shaves with a Feather or Super Iridium.

Max

42 1,041
 02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the new razor, Jerry!  Thumbup

83 21,078
 02-18-2015, 06:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-15-2015, 08:21 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Great razor Jerry.  Bob's work looks fantastic!  Thanks to Phil for bringing this to market.  I like the thickness of your barrel.  Anything to keep the Progress "alive" (Eskimo, Mergress). My favorite razor having gone back to it recently after stints with the Cobra and Mongoose.  Just love the way it shaves with a Feather or Super Iridium.

Max

I have taken a similar path. For the past 6 months, my Progress has received the bulk of play in my rotation.

Jerry -I am glad to hear that you like the razor. Biggrin

46 18,377
 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
Boy, those sure are sweet lookin'  Hard to think that it is based on the Progress.

Are these regular length Progress' or long length?

3 74
 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-19-2015, 11:18 AM)mikemullin6 Wrote: Boy, those sure are sweet lookin'  Hard to think that it is based on the Progress.

Are these regular length Progress' or long length?

Thank you -these are made from the standard length Progress.

46 18,377
 02-19-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
The Progress has always been a sweet shaver and the Eskimo makes it even better. 

121 13,126
 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have had one of these for about 2 or 3 years.....a prototype so to speak..white/gold onyx...and as many of us long time shavers know the Progress,Mergress or any other modified Merkur progress  is a all purpose....easy to maintain...excellent shaver....perhaps if one had to clean out the Cave or recommend a razor to anyone this would be it....I always remove the split ring and truly can,t say any negative thought about this razor.This new treatment just makes it nicer looking and gives a unique feel when you use this new variation.

6 2,028
 02-20-2015, 03:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sure is purty!

7 2,156
 02-21-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
Does the adjustment align to start at 1? I think the regular Progress razors can be off a bit.

0 620
 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
My Eskimo Progress stops at 1.5   I have owned several Progress and Mergress razors and none of those stopped to dead 1. I don't think it's mechanically possible to adjusted them when they leave the factory regardless of what is claimed. This razor is an upgrade from the stock Progress and shaves perfectly. Blade alignment is spot on.

121 13,126
 02-21-2015, 04:42 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Beautiful razor. I too have recently gone back to the Progress after a long stint with the Mongoose. Mine sets on the +. 3 passes on 3.5 with touch-ups on 4.0
The Eskimo is a real work of art. 

48 679