02-15-2015, 11:24 AM
User Info
It's not fit for man nor beast outside today so I decided t take a day off and just have fun in the kitchen. To find out more about what I've been doing google "sodium citrate".

The short story... it's a Modernist cooking chemical naturally derived from citrus fruit and wine and such. Another name for sodium Citrate (SC from now on) is sour salt. What it does is allows cheese to be melted without breaking down. This is usable for making melting cheese (todays experiment), cheese sauces, mac and cheese and such.

But today was melty cheese rounds. I can no longer buy the process cheese I prefer for burgers and such, so my intent is to make my own.

I received my SC the other day. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLQ4...UTF8&psc=1 it's not expensive bought this way, but buy it in smaller quantities and it can be as expensive as $15 for much less quantity.

A little SC, a little beer to dissolve it in in a saucepan, some heat and cheese turns the mix into a cheese sauce. Putting the melted mixture on a silicone mat turns it into a sheet. Allowing it to cool gives a product that can be cut into whatever shape one wants. I just ladled out enough to form rounds with the bottom of the ladle. The cool silicone mat did the rest by fairly quickly setting the cheese up so that it wouldn't run.

The recipe isn't precisely the flavor that I want so next time I'll make changes to the recipe. Too, I can change the procedure to make it easier as well. I was busier than a one armed paper hanger trying to juggle everything this time.

The following isn't precisely the recipe I used, but use swiss instead of the mozzarella and it is. http://www.food.com/recipe/perfectly-mel...ice-513398 There were other changes that I explained above.

[Image: DSC04197_zpsqs8dklnm.jpg]

The yield was 12 of these rounds with a bit left over.

They come right off of the silicone mat without any fuss and no mess.

Sodium Citrate is a definite keeper in my pantry after using just this once.

32 6,445
 02-16-2015, 12:21 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-15-2015, 11:24 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's not fit for man nor beast outside today so I decided t take a day off and just have fun in the kitchen. To find out more about what I've been doing google "sodium citrate".

The short story... it's a Modernist cooking chemical naturally derived from citrus fruit and wine and such. Another name for sodium Citrate (SC from now on) is sour salt. What it does is allows cheese to be melted without breaking down. This is usable for making melting cheese (todays experiment), cheese sauces, mac and cheese and such...

Hi Brian

Looks interesting and we LOVE cheese in this household.

Bookmarked! for future reference (for when the wife wants to try something new).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-11-2015, 07:38 PM
User Info
Yep, i do something like this and put chicken salad inside.

FANTASTIC.

2 50
 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM
User Info
Jim, my last was "process" blue cheese. But that required SHMP (sodium hexametaphosphate) along with the SC. That was also an experiment and while I wasn't successful in getting the process cheese rounds I wanted, it was a fantastic spread. Next time I'll add a bit of swiss to firm it up a bit more, maybe reduce the liquid too.

Next up will be another attempt to duplicate the process cheese I can't buy anymore. I almost made it today. It will use extra sharp cheddar and monterey jack. I'll adjust the amounts to taste as it's melted.

32 6,445