02-16-2015, 09:41 AM
User Info
Man oh man my wallet is taking a major hit these days with my discovery of Catie's Bubbles (LPdlV, Mile High Menthol, Tonsorial Parlour, Glacé Herbe); CRSW (Vetiver, American Barbershop, Bay Rum) and Mike's Natural Vetiver. I have resisted AdP and Penhaligon's. I have succumbed to MdC. Now....XPEC. I think I suppressed a drool when I first saw the ad. I have added it to my cart 3 times , only to have deleted it each time. 
(Sorry Phil  Sad )

Then I read the thread by a member selling his (at a great $ loss) because of a skin reaction. More questions on my part. (Wish samples were available to purchase... Rolleyes )

Now I need to hear from the experienced XPEC users what my wallet DOESN'T want to hear, but my SAD-self desperately wants to hear: Is XPEC worth the high cost to add to my shave den?

Thank you to the responders as I sit back and wait for the responses. Bow  

39 3,869
 02-16-2015, 09:48 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Yes, IMO.

Scent and performance are superb.

102 18,552
 02-16-2015, 10:07 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Not a huge fan of the dark rose type scent, but I do like it on occasion, and it is quite unique, which in the myriad of shaving creams of soaps currently available, is definitely a plus. Performance is excellent, I can't imagine you'll have any complaints there.

26 4,895
 02-16-2015, 10:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Primo, that was me that had the skin irritation.  I have extremely sensitive skin so it is a crap shoot with me when it comes to shaving creams/soaps and after shaves.  I can tell you two things about the XPEC:

1. It is very easy to build a great lather that provides great slickness, cushion, and skin moisturizing.

2. When I return from my trip next month, I will be ordering the unscented version.

Most of the big three 3 British soaps I cannot use but I am going to try the Penhaligon's B&B at some time.

175 23,752
 02-16-2015, 10:26 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Considering what you already have....

No. 

If you really want to scratch your itch for a top cream I would recommend ADP or Baume.be over the new XPEC. 

159 1,315
 02-16-2015, 10:26 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I'm not a fan of the scent.  I described it as "rotten sandalwood with a touch of vomit".  Of course, this is purely subjective and a YMMV.
I also sold mine at a loss.
Performance was great though.

47 1,901
 02-16-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
(02-16-2015, 10:26 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I'm not a fan of the scent.  I described it as "rotten sandalwood with a touch of vomit".  Of course, this is purely subjective and a YMMV.
Mmmm, Rotten & Vomit. Do they make a matching AS for that?

8 2,718
 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Samples are available at old town shaving

I do not enjoy XPec. I liked the scent at first and now do not. I did not like the lather but now use a heap of it and seems to be ok. Not as good as T&H, not as good as CF And XPEC will not replace ToB Eton. Others love it, I don't get it. ABC, MdC, B&M, Catie's Bubbles... Those I will have as long as I can shave. 

7 438
 02-16-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
I was in the same Dilemma as yours . I pulled the trigger on xpec and thanks to Johnny . I will report in the next few days on my thoughts of xpec .

61 3,072
 02-16-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
(02-16-2015, 10:26 AM)Steelman Wrote: Considering what you already have....

No. 

If you really want to scratch your itch for a top cream I would recommend ADP or Baume.be over the new XPEC. 

These are my very sentiments as well as cream recommendations over Xpec.

Now if this was the original Xpec we were discussing then this would be an easier yes from me.

65 799
 02-16-2015, 10:54 AM
User Info
It is definitely worth a try. I enjoy using XPEC.  I agree with others that the scent isn't all that great (I wouldn't go as far as "rotten sandalwood + vomit though!) The scent lasts a long time too and can't be covered with any of my aftershaves or EDT's  I also find the new formula a bit more firm than the old formula.  This has lead me to load my brush differently.  Now instead of retrieving a snurdle out of the tub and wiping it onto my brush, I load my brush directly in the tub (all excess water removed from the brush of course).  When I originally tried to lather the new formula it in my old way, it was a bit more difficult to lather due to the increased firmness of the new formula.  Loading the way I do now the lather explodes just like the old formula, with that incredible slickness we all love about XPEC.

73 2,196
 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
There have been loads of people commenting on the inferiority of the new formulation compared to the old.  I have both, I can't tell them apart.  I tried a blind test to see if I could tell them apart, loading two different chubby 2 manchurian brushes, bowl lathered both and then lathered my face with my eyes closed so I wouldn't know which brush I used.  Three pass shave, cold water rinse followed by only an alcohol splash aftershave.  Results: BBS cheeks/DFS in specific locations, wonderful post-shave feel on both sides of the face, no need for a balm (even in the terribly cold winter we are having in New England!) Bottom line is: FOR ME THEY PERFORM THE SAME. I really wanted to see if I could tell a difference, I can detect none.  I know the ingredients have changed and that Aloe is no longer an ingredient in the new formula but my skin apparently doesn't miss it. Not looking to insight the haters here but, thought some of you may be interested in an honest side by side comparison of the two.

73 2,196
 02-16-2015, 11:18 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I'm trying to figure out what your Q truly is. It could be:
[a] You have many top performing shaving soaps/creams. You think you're spending too much. Should you still buy new XPEC? Is it head & shoulders above the soaps you've already listed?
My answer here is no. It's a nice cream but I would hazard that it will not change your life.

[b] You're not really cash strapped - you're just wondering if XPEC is worth the $ compared to the other great soaps/creams you list?
My answer here is Maybe. To a large extent it depends on whether you're a fan of the dark-rose scent. It's a good performer but so are other soaps in your den.

I am a long standing fan of XPEC (pre-reformulation). I am also one of those 'detractors' who believes that old XPEC was better than new formulation. Nevertheless - new XPEC is a good cream. It's certainly worth sampling.

17 535
 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
(02-16-2015, 10:26 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I'm not a fan of the scent.  I described it as "rotten sandalwood with a touch of vomit".  Of course, this is purely subjective and a YMMV.

Delightful!  Hambre

39 3,869
 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM
User Info
Good luck, Primo and good thing I don't have to make this decision! Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM
User Info
Everyone's input is greatly appreciated, even if I do not thank you all personally.  Cheers

39 3,869
 02-16-2015, 12:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Primo, as someone mentioned above, if you have not, I highly recommend you try the BAUME.BE Pre Shave Gel, Shaving Cream, and Balm.  Just a fantastic product.

175 23,752
 02-16-2015, 08:19 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
The reality is the new is a decent cream (if you like the scent). But if you've already tried the old XPEC (which was "out of this world marvelous"), I just say don't waste your time bc it will be a big disappointment, IMO. The new just doesn't do the special things that we all loved about the old. But if you haven't tried the old, maybe you'll like it.
In the end I don't really recommend it bc there are others that are better than XPEC (something I NEVER would have said before the new version came out). I mean the owner no harm. I just wish she could find someone to exactly duplicate the formulation she already owned.

Btw, to the discerning nose (and having both available) the new and old do not smell exactly alike. The new has much more citrus (especially noticeable after lathering it) and less rose. The old was less citrus and more dirty rose. Again, I actually prefer the old.

57 2,543
 02-16-2015, 09:11 PM
User Info
This thread speaks to me as well.  I had the old and new XPEC unscented, sold both because I don't like unscented creams.  I noticed both great performers, the new version being firmer as mentioned.  Hearing how polarizing the scented version is, I have always stayed away.  

I don't want to buy and sell a third XPEC, but am looking to add one additional cream to my rotation (did order BAUME.BE over the weekend) as I am bowl lathering now and like the idea of using creams more.

I'm still curious about the scent, but will pass as there are enough products in the stratosphere now that I don't need it.  

192 1,588
 02-16-2015, 09:53 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(02-16-2015, 09:11 PM)waveflow Wrote: This thread speaks to me as well.  I had the old and new XPEC unscented, sold both because I don't like unscented creams.  I noticed both great performers, the new version being firmer as mentioned.  Hearing how polarizing the scented version is, I have always stayed away.  

I don't want to buy and sell a third XPEC, but am looking to add one additional cream to my rotation (did order BAUME.BE over the weekend) as I am bowl lathering now and like the idea of using creams more.

I'm still curious about the scent, but will pass as there are enough products in the stratosphere now that I don't need it.  

I bought XPEC, Baume Be and Ebsjerg together at Xmas. The XPEC scent is great to me, strong, masculine , classy, a very distinctive scent in a shaving cream. Baume. BE scent is mildly floral, not strongly scented at all. Esbjerg has been the real surprise of the 3. The scent is mildly citrusy and nice ,but the performance is quite excellent. I would say if you like the performance of BB and X, E is right there with them.

15 541