02-16-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
I am thinking of getting a 24mm synthetic brush from Artesania Romera. I think this is the same knot that Plisson uses only 24mm instead of 22mm. If anyone has one your thoughts on the brush and the loft that would mimic the 54mm of the L'Occitane  brush. I am happy with the  L'Occitane as I lather in a bowl and the splay and feel seems about right. With a larger knot,24mm, would 55mm be a good height to mimic the L'Occitane brush or would I need to go a little longer? Any info on Romera synthetics would be appreciated. Thanks

18 201
 02-16-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
(02-16-2015, 11:02 AM)houlejames Wrote: I am thinking of getting a 24mm synthetic brush from Artesania Romera. I think this is the same knot that Plisson uses only 24mm instead of 22mm.

It is the same hair, rather than the same knot, isn´t it? That is what I remember. Two are on order, I will report as I receive them.
Hopefully somebody can give us both more insight on this...

Philipp

21 1,175
 02-16-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
I received the Romera synthetic a few days ago, as shown below.
[Image: zkyzoJG.jpg]

Although the same hair (I think), the Plisson splays a bit more. Unfortunately, the Romera has a glue ring above the insert so I haven't lathered it up yet.

16 611
 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
That's too bad. I hate glue rings above the handle, really ruins the look of the brush. Had a problem with that from a Frank Shaving Brush. You know the Plisson 22mm knots just look so much better, more bloom I guess. The Grooming Company knots look exactly like the Romera's.  I don't know if it because of the shorter loft or not in the metal cup, but I just like the looks of the Plisson knots better. Guess I will just see about getting another Plisson brush and not take the chance on a Romera. Thanks for the picture, it made up my mind.

18 201
 02-16-2015, 02:28 PM
User Info
The one I received from him was even worse than that one. He said he would replace the brush but never did and won't answer PM's . No way would I ever give him another dime of my money. 

44 486
 02-16-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
I would be pissed but there is more about that brush than that gluering Smile Give it some love.
I will tell about mine as they come!

Philipp

21 1,175
 02-16-2015, 03:22 PM
User Info
I'm having a similar experience. There are quite a few things wrong with the brush, he hasn't answered my PM, and the above handle/color was not what I ordered. Oh well. I don't mean to bash the guy, as there is general praise for his work on this forum. I was just a bit unlucky, I guess.

16 611
 02-16-2015, 04:28 PM
  • taco8slo
  • Shavenookian Newbie
  • California
User Info
I had issues with my two brushes from Romera (crooked knots and extra glue), I sent him an email and he responded to send them back and that he would refund the money when they arrived. They took quite a while to get through customs and such and arrive back to him, when they did finally arrive he refunded the money. He didn't think they looked so bad when they arrived, I guess I might be picky...

I must say though, his handles look outstanding!

[Image: IMG_4347.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4345.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4346.jpg]

15 130
 02-16-2015, 04:38 PM
User Info
I have been VERY reluctant to post my opinions regarding the Artesania Romera brushes in general, and the two brushes I ordered, and finally received from Gustavo a few days ago in particular. BUT, after reading the above posts, I now feel that I MUST give MY OPINIONS (Others, of course, can form their own).

I ordered a Second Anniversary LE Brush (#14/100) on Jan. 11/12, 2015  I also ordered a synthetic brush. Below is the handle I ordered (Hard to tell, but it looked Yellow & Black), I RECEIVED a SILVER handled brush. BTW:The Silver handle had 'lathe retaining marks' on it. He told me I could return the brushes IF I did not like them. I don't think it would be in my best interests to do so, due to the almost complete lack of communication that I (and, apparently others) have had with Gustavo. I also feel that (for full disclosure) I need to 'reveal' that I only got a response from Gustavo AFTER I sent a PM AND two emails advising him (as diplomatically as I could) that I wanted to CANCEL my order of the two brushes. Again, BOTH brushes were listed as "IN-STOCK" on the website.
I will try to keep this Post short, and let other people form their OWN opinions.

I will only address the synthetic brush here. The brush I received is the one with the SILVER handle. Here are the measurements:
Knot: 26.2 x 52/53mm Loft
Handle: 50mm tall x 41mm wide
Overall: 102/103mm

I have had both the Plisson AND The Grooming Co. Brushes. Performance wise, I think the Romera is a good 'compromise' between the two other brushes.
I have used it once and I think the performance is VERY GOOD.
The TRUE questions revolve around the complications and issues concerning communication (or lack there of) with the vendor, getting the brush shipped, time involved with shipping and Customs (Mine took 2 weeks after they were shipped to reach me), quality issues, and actually getting the brush(s) you ordered.

Again,MY Opinion: I will keep the two brushes not only due to the rather GOOD performance of the knots, BUT I will NOT purchase another brush from Romera due to ALL the other issues and complications.
Photos of the Synthetics below (First is the ORDERED Brush, Second is the (Silver) RECEIVED Brush:
[Image: luwhdrw.jpg]
[Image: p5y8oVR.jpg]

41 375
 02-16-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
(02-16-2015, 04:28 PM)taco8slo Wrote: I had issues with my two brushes from Romera (crooked knots and extra glue) . . . He didn't think they looked so bad when they arrived . . .

Then I don't trust his eyesight. Those are unacceptable.

29 1,776
 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I was on the advance preorder waiting list from the summer to obtain one of Romera's Plisson Synthetics, I didn't receive it till about 2nd week in January of this year, which includes 2 weeks of the package sitting around in customs, but I thought I was the only one and have been holding back on putting some thoughts/comments down.  To his defense he's been pretty good with communications up until 3 weeks ago as we were discussing to replacing the synthetic I received as there was a bit of glue that spilled out of the knot on one side of the brush. As to what I received in terms of the synthetic brush, what was received was a bit strange as it had a oily residue all over the brush/handle and one side of the knot the glue spilled over the hole in the handle that it reduced the flexibility of the fibers on that side as it was acting like a glue bump you find in some brushes but it was all on one side of the brush!  He quickly apologized and that it was a helper setting the knots to the synthetics and offered to send a replacement. (granted I also bought from him the 2nd Anniversary brush which I found to be very nice quality and performance).  This is where it gets a little disappointing as he's not sent me any updates regarding the replacement but he's been pretty much unresponsive for about 3 weeks to my emails. We were also discussing a potential new commission as well so it wasn't just customer service oriented talk regarding a synthetic replacement... so maybe there's a reason for the lack of response, I hope he's ok. 

I really feel bad for those with a knot that isn't even straight, that's worse.. 

I find his knots quite good, handles well crafted, and I would like to continue but this gives me pause as I feel sometimes the language is a barrier.

[Image: enC0R9a.jpg][Image: xNsjCGU.jpg]

35 1,329
 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM
  • taco8slo
  • Shavenookian Newbie
  • California
User Info
Wow, that is too bad, that brush would be so nice otherwise. On the two brushes I had, the glue that was visible was a little wet and sticky, like it hadn't dried well, perhaps the epoxy wasn't mixed properly...Hope everything gets resolved for those with issues, and more importantly that Gustavo is ok.

15 130
 02-16-2015, 09:42 PM
User Info
Wow! This is quite surprising! I hope you gentlemen can get some form of resolution to your issues. 

82 21,056
 02-17-2015, 02:23 AM
User Info
For a few weeks I had an assistant to one of his missions was to glue the knots brushes, a fairly simple task, after seeing some photos of customers is clear that it was not doing well.

For various reasons other than the above is no longer with me, I'm back alone.

If a customer is not satisfied with the way it is stuck you can contact me and it will be replaced (when I can).

6 209
 02-17-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
Not good at all. A craftsman needs to be able to provide an excellent service and comfort to the customers. I hope something gets resolved and further acknowledgment of rectifying future designs.

1 1,975
 02-20-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
It appears that this vendor has bitten off more than he can chew as we say down South.  We have seen an increasing number of comments concerning a lack of communication, slow in responding to emails, quality control issues (to me the glue line is absolutely unacceptable and those brushes should have never been shipped), extended wait for delivery, so forth and so on.  I made a previous post concerning his business model and this thread confirms my thoughts.  I cringe at his "when I can" comment concerning replacing a brush. The priority should be satisfying present customers instead of continuing to accept orders as well as quality control and communication with his customers. I was considering ordering a Verzelli with a Briar handle but the pictures of crooked knots, abysmal glue lines, etc has me deciding to hold off and see how things go.  At these prices, I expect a pristine product.  I am not piling on but........

Ed 

21 751
 02-21-2015, 03:00 AM
User Info
Frankly I cannot understand how any of these brushes have been shipped out.
You are spot-on, Ed

21 1,175