02-16-2015, 06:04 PM
User Info
I recently acquired (from http://www.leesrazors.com, good service, BTW) a Mergress adjustable and thought I'd share a few comments. I've got several years of shaving with a safety razor under my belt had settled in on a favorite non-adjustable, a stainless steel Weber straight bar. This has been my standard to which I've compared other razors and remains my "if I was marooned on a desert island" favorite. But I had always toyed with owning an adjustable razor, so picked up a Mergress. Mind you, I have nothing against the other adjustables out there, but liked the looks and comments I'd read about the Mergress.

The fit and finish of the Mergress is excellent. The mechanism is smooth and I like the indicators being etched or pressed into the metal ring: nothing to wear off. The blade seems to be curved by the razor more than any other safety razor I've owned, and the adjustment is left to the amount of blade gap that is below the blade edge and above the guard bar: more gap, more blade, less gap, less blade.

I've tried a few blades in the Mergress. My favorite, at least with my Weber, is the Personna blue wrapper blades. These performed excellently in the Mergress. I got a comfortable and close shave on a "2 1/2" setting with these. With Bolzano blades, I dialed this back to a tad under 2 for the first pass, then 2 for an ATG pass, and finally 2 and 1/2 on a 3 polishing pass. I use a similar set of steps for KAI and PolSilver blades. But the thing here is that you can dial up more blade exposure if you want or need it, depending on the blade.

Even though I've only had my Mergress for a few weeks, I have to say I like it. And I am finding that I can make real use of the adjustment depending on the type of blade I am using.

I'll offer one "con" about this razor, at least over my Weber: The design of the head is such that there is a channel below the blade edge where lather accumulates, and this fills up relatively fast and needs more frequent rinsing than other razors I have used. By comparison to my Weber, the lather on it flows beneath the bar and gets out of the way of the blade. If you keep shaving, it doesn't seem to affect the performance. The downside is that, if you wait too long before rinsing, lather might fall off the bottom and make a mess. But with the Mergress, lather sort of clogs up that channel and seems to reduce blade performance.

Other than this one issue, the Mergress overall fit and finish is excellent, as is the weight and balance, at least for me. The razor is a "keeper" for me and will likely be my one and only adjustable. Cheers!

0 35
 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM
User Info
Congratulations on obtaining a limited stock Mergress. The blade in the Mergress (Progress) do bend considerably more then most other razors which is attributed to the mechanics of the razor. Trying different settings with different blades is a plus as non adjustable razors don't give you that option. Either you like the blade or you don't. As far as the clog problem I am not experiencing that. But I do rinse my razor a lot which is second nature to me I guess after wet shaving forever. The Personna medical/lab blades are a very good choice and happy to mention made in the USA.  

121 13,127
 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM
User Info
Congratulations on a very fine shaver!  Thumbsup

83 21,081
 02-16-2015, 11:27 PM
User Info
Congrats to you!

1 1,975
 02-17-2015, 07:07 AM
User Info
Enjoy - The Mergress is a fantastic razor that offers a world of options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 02-17-2015, 11:03 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
One of my dirty dozen that I will not part with. The best adjustable razor ever made IMHO .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 506
 02-17-2015, 03:51 PM
User Info
Can't agree more with the above positive comments on the Megress razor and the use of Personna Med Labs blaces.  These blades may be more expensive than others but, to me, offer the most consistent quality service.

3 74