02-17-2015, 06:49 AM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
I acquired a Ranger Tech recently, and have put it into my rotation on a trial basis. This model is a 1941 I believe, as it has no end caps. I checked the blade gap, and compared to my 1948-9 Super Speed. The gaps on both razors measured .025". This is really no surprise, as they are, or should be, essentially the same razor. I don't think there were any changes made to the razor geometry when they re-named the Ranger Tech the Super Speed in around 1947. The only changes were cosmetic, at least that is my observation and undrestanding.

Not surprisingly, my shave with the RT was smooth and comfortable, with no discernible difference from the Super Speed. I guess there is just a certain satisfaction that one gets shaving with a razor that is nearly 75 years old, and getting a shave that is better than that provided by Gillette's current offerings. 

[Image: jG84qCV.jpg]

Matt

0 62
 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I am using mine currently. A lot of acoustics and a fair bit of blade chatter, not dissimilar to the R41, but less harsh and producing a very good quality shave, I have to say. I find I need to take just a little more time with this one, but the results are  satisfying and remarkably close. 

0 1,730
 02-17-2015, 09:16 PM
User Info
I really love the look and the practicality of the older TTOs, but I just can't get on with them for whatever reason! Sheesh! 
Nonetheless, that is a fine shaver you have and enjoy!  Thumbsup

82 21,056
 02-28-2015, 08:42 AM
User Info
What blades do you find work well with the Ranger?  In my SS, I like Astra SP, Rapira Platinum Lux, GSB and Rapira Swedish Super Steel

8 72
 02-28-2015, 09:42 AM
User Info
Glad you had a good shave with this beauty!

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 02-28-2015, 02:00 PM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
(02-28-2015, 08:42 AM)jwr0201 Wrote: What blades do you find work well with the Ranger?  In my SS, I like Astra SP, Rapira Platinum Lux, GSB and Rapira Swedish Super Steel

I use Personna Lab Blues almost exclusively. Occasionally I will use a Feather. I find that I can get a BBS shave with the Personna in virtually any razor that I use. The Ranger Tech was no exception, but then again, I didn't really expect the shave to be much different than my 1949 SS. I haven't checked the gaps on the two razors to compare, but I think I should. I don't know if it is my imagination, but the RT seems like it might be just a tad smoother. End result is the same though.

Matt

0 62
 02-28-2015, 03:09 PM
User Info
The Ranger Tech is one of two SB razors that I have. Surprisingly it gives me a nice smooth shave without being aggressive at all. A nice razor for sure.

11 230