02-17-2015, 10:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
It seems for the past few weeks, every  time I use my SA BB I get nicked or bit. Every time. At first I thought it was because it was set too aggressively so I dialed it back from 5 to 3. That didn't help - I got nicked in the same spot on my cheek every time I'd use this razor. Then I thought it was because the Crystal blades that I love in my Merkur and Techs were simply not sharp enough, so today I tried a fresh Med Prep in the SA BB, set on 1. That didn't help either. With no pressure to speak of I got nicked under my nose and was the beneficiary of a nice weeper on my chinny chin chin. Dang, that hurt!

I may at some point relegate this razor simply to display status. It's not worth the aggravation, when I get excellent, BBS shaves from my Merkur and Techs.

Does this ever happen to anyone else? Is there a razor that no matter what you do, it finds a way to bite you somehow, somewhere?

(edit to include signature)

7 2,359
 02-17-2015, 12:16 PM
User Info
If I get bit on a regular basis, then the razor is not for me and away it goes. There are plenty of nice razors that do work for me and sometimes you just have to accept that it's time to move on. Happened to me recently with the Mongoose. Beautiful razor and I wanted to make it work but it wasn't to be.

46 489
 02-17-2015, 02:57 PM
User Info
(02-17-2015, 10:20 AM)chazt Wrote: It seems for the past few weeks, every  time I use my SA BB I get nicked or bit. Every time. At first I thought it was because it was set too aggressively so I dialed it back from 5 to 3. That didn't help - I got nicked in the same spot on my cheek every time I'd use this razor. Then I thought it was because the Crystal blades that I love in my Merkur and Techs were simply not sharp enough, so today I tried a fresh Med Prep in the SA BB, set on 1. That didn't help either. With no pressure to speak of I got nicked under my nose and was the beneficiary of a nice weeper on my chinny chin chin. Dang, that hurt!

I may at some point relegate this razor simply to display status. It's not worth the aggravation, when I get excellent, BBS shaves from my Merkur and Techs.

Does this ever happen to anyone else? Is there a razor that no matter what you do, it finds a way to bite you somehow, somewhere?

(edit to include signature)
Which razor is a SA BB, please?

39 3,952
 02-17-2015, 03:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Which razor is a SA BB, please? ~~~~ Primo

Sorry, Primo. Slim Adjustable Black Beauty. Mine's from '72.

7 2,359
 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM
User Info
A similar thing happened to me involving a FaTip Grande. This brand razor has a reputation for being very "efficient" so I thought that it was maybe the blade causing the grief. Switched that out and still got bit in the same spot. So, now I'm truly puzzled and lurking all the 4ums -- come across a suggestion to be sure the blade is seated properly. I go to double check this (I had been careful after the first debacle) only to discover that the two alignment pins on the top cap are brazed on crooked!

Anyway, I have managed to get a decent shave out of the thing, but I was forced to re-assemble it carefully, truing the blade whilst tightening. It's still a bit off, but the result is really just a milder side to the razor, and a more aggressive side. All things considered, I'm pleased that I was able to suss the problem, and even improvise a solution, but this razor is not a favorite of mine. I subsequently find other folks having similar experiences posting their misfortunes with FaTip. It's a shame really -- one of the few all brass razors still manufactured.
Euro

5 395