02-17-2015, 07:54 PM
User Info
I was looking on EBay for some blades. There are some 50 and 100 blade lots of made in USA Personnas that seem very reasonable, but are not listed as "Lab", so I'm wondering if these are the same as the Lab ones?  The image of the Lab Blues at Tryablade shows "Lab" on the label, but the accompanying text says that individual blades are actually wrapped in plain white paper and the name is hand written on it for identification purposes.

So, are the blades from EBay going to be the same as Labs?

4 100
 02-18-2015, 02:57 PM
User Info
This is somewhat of a loaded question as there are those who feel that Personna Labs and Personna Med Prep are the same and there are those who consider them to be quite different.  I fall into the latter category as I found the Med Preps to be quite a bit better than the Lab Blues.  I can't say one way or the other as far as the ebay thing, but a Med Prep blade will have "For Hospital Use" on the blade whereas Labs do not.  There are also Personna Barbers blades which also look identical except that they have arrows printed on them.  To my knowledge the Barbers have not been around for a while and never received good reviews when they were.

I would recommend that you go through a reputable vendor for Labs as you should be able to find them in 50/100 count.

I get my Med Preps (Go to blade) from this location:

Med Prep

Mods please feel free to remove link if that is against TOU.  Can't recall if it's ok or not.

1 71
 02-18-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
I have had both the Lab Blues and I am now using the Med Preps, which are much smoother and don't have that annoying glue dot(s). I believe that there is a difference in the two. 

39 3,867
 02-18-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
Labs and meds are different in my opinion. Both are great med better. There are also other Personna blades made in Israel. Q ball, Eddison. 

0 1,007
 02-19-2015, 06:07 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
The answer is no. They also make a "Barber" blade. 

I am one who notices a difference in the "Lab Blue" and the "Med Prep". The "Med Prep" is one of the best blades I use.

4 2,686
 02-19-2015, 06:30 AM
  • moallen
  • Bellevue, WA USA
User Info
A few months ago I did a side by side comparison of the med prep vs lab blades just so I know for sure if they were different, despite the common assertion that they are really the same.

My conclusion was that the med prep blades have a smoother, more comfortable shave than the lab blades. You can read my test wrote up over here if you like:

http://goo.gl/FlhqmT

4 682
 02-19-2015, 06:11 PM
User Info
I am fortunate  enough  to live nearby the factory where the personna blues are made, a friend of mine works there and brought me a box of 300, They are stamped for hospital use, I find them to be a decent blade, but I still prefer the feather. 

0 6
 02-20-2015, 03:14 PM
User Info
Med Prep are the best and the robbinsinstruments website is where I get mine also.

3 74
 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(02-20-2015, 03:14 PM)mikemullin6 Wrote: Med Prep are the best and the robbinsinstruments website is where I get mine also.

I bought a box of 250 med prep blades from robbins instruments.  I am relatively certain that these were a batch of imperfect blades or, perhaps even falsely stamped "for hospital use."  My original med preps are still great.  Further, if there is a difference between the med prep and the lab blues, it is not a very big one IMHO.  Both are excellent.

1 795