02-17-2015, 08:50 PM
User Info
This past December I placed my first direct M&F order for a 1/2 in Blonde and an XL2 in Heritage. It wasn't until yesterday that I finally got a chance to use the Heritage brush. I thought I'd share some pics as well as a few quick first impressions.

[Image: 46MIsRG.jpg]

XL2 Heritage (left) and 1/2 Blonde (right)

The Heritage knot is much more dense than the Blonde. Less dense than a Chubby but similar firmness. And it feels quite soft when dry. 

I loaded some Mystic Water Irish traveler for it's inaugural shave and face lathered. The softness and strong backbone were very pleasant, BUT it is also somewhat scratchy. I don't mind a hint of feedback when shaving, be it scratch or scritch since my skin is not ultra-sensitive. So I was wondering if this will break in a bit with extended use. As of today, I'm only at 2 shaves and I will continue to shave with it for the foreseeable future to do a full eval. If it breaks in an the scratch subsides, I'll definitely post a followup. 

[Image: jqbypyJ.jpg]

I'm going to guess the scratch is coming from the darker flat tipped hairs that are mixed in to the whiter sharp tips. 

[Image: 3WlZXoX.jpg]

Any M&F Heritage owners that can comment on the feeling of their brush? Do you remember there being a break-in period? My guess is that there is not much breaking in that will occur, but we'll see. 

38 1,159
 02-17-2015, 09:06 PM
User Info
Rob, fine-looking brushes. 

My impressions of the Heritage hair is that is should be 'gel-like' tips right from the start! I have one and have tried a few and they are/were extremely soft hair, very similar to the older Rooney Heritage Stubby XL 2-Band line from awhile back, but not quite as soft. I still have a Rooney Heritage 1XL Stubby 2-Band and along with my M&F 3XL Heritage Tortoise, they are almost too soft for me!  Biggrin
I have had an M&F Heritage 3XL that was not gel-tip, but similar to what you are describing with 'roughness' to the tips and it wasn't even as soft as the standard Blonde Badger. 
I really hope your brush 'softens up', but it doesn't sound promising, in my opinion. 
No offence intended to Lee, but there are just so many discrepancies and inconsistencies with his brushes which shouldn't be there for the price you pay for them, especially, when you are expecting something particular and you get another completely different thing. 
Best of luck with the brush. 

By the way, is the 'scratch' similar to the Blonde Badger you have? Is there any way it could be the Finest hair that was put in by mistake as I find it a tad 'scratchy/scritchy', but pleasantly so?

82 21,056
 02-17-2015, 09:16 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes......Maybe one day I will get a M&F 2XL Blond Badger..... Cool

10 399
 02-18-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
(02-17-2015, 08:50 PM)shevek Wrote: This past December I placed my first direct M&F order for a 1/2 in Blonde and an XL2 in Heritage. It wasn't until yesterday that I finally got a chance to use the Heritage brush. I thought I'd share some pics as well as a few quick first impressions.

[Image: 46MIsRG.jpg]

XL2 Heritage (left) and 1/2 Blonde (right)

The Heritage knot is much more dense than the Blonde. Less dense than a Chubby but similar firmness. And it feels quite soft when dry. 

I loaded some Mystic Water Irish traveler for it's inaugural shave and face lathered. The softness and strong backbone were very pleasant, BUT it is also quite scratchy. I don't mind a hint of feedback when shaving, be it scratch or scritch since my skin is not ultra-sensitive. But like anyone I have my limits. This is in range of my limit. So I was wondering if this will break in a bit with extended use. As of today, I'm only at 2 shaves and I will continue to shave with it for the foreseeable future to do a full eval. If it breaks in an the scratch subsides, I'll definitely post a followup. 

[Image: jqbypyJ.jpg]

I'm going to guess the scratch is coming from the darker flat tipped hairs that are mixed in to the whiter sharp tips. 

[Image: 3WlZXoX.jpg]

Any M&F Heritage owners that can comment on the feeling of their brush? Do you remember there being a break-in period? My guess is that there is not much breaking in that will occur if a lot of the tips are flat. 

Ok so I'm not sure if this is taboo but last night out of excitement of my new brushes I gave the polo a test face lather and found it pretty scritchy..... So here's come the taboo maybe, I hand lathered it for about 5 minutes using my wife's Pureology shampoo, good rinse and then followed it up with a half hour soak with the same conditioner...... Whahla.... Super soft now!!

Red

17 1,297
 02-18-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
As long as it meets your standards, then it isn't taboo! Enjoy the brush. Thumbsup

82 21,056
 02-18-2015, 04:34 PM
User Info
I'm finding the finest hair to be extremely soft and scritch free as of late. I have yet to try any heritage aside from the gel batch, I'm curious to see what this grade provides.

60 1,412
 02-18-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
(02-18-2015, 03:19 PM)Nevada Red Wrote: Ok so I'm not sure if this is taboo but last night out of excitement of my new brushes I gave the polo a test face lather and found it pretty scritchy..... So here's come the taboo maybe, I hand lathered it for about 5 minutes using my wife's Pureology shampoo, good rinse and then followed it up with a half hour soak with the same conditioner...... Whahla.... Super soft now!!

Red

Not taboo at all. Many people here discuss washing their brush with shampoo. If it worked then congrats!

61 1,710
 02-18-2015, 05:20 PM
User Info
(02-17-2015, 09:06 PM)celestino Wrote: Rob, fine-looking brushes. 

My impressions of the Heritage hair is that is should be 'gel-like' tips right from the start! I have one and have tried a few and they are/were extremely soft hair, very similar to the older Rooney Heritage Stubby XL 2-Band line from awhile back, but not quite as soft. I still have a Rooney Heritage 1XL Stubby 2-Band and along with my M&F 3XL Heritage Tortoise, they are almost too soft for me!  Biggrin
I have had an M&F Heritage 3XL that was not gel-tip, but similar to what you are describing with 'roughness' to the tips and it wasn't even as soft as the standard Blonde Badger. 
I really hope your brush 'softens up', but it doesn't sound promising, in my opinion. 
No offence intended to Lee, but there are just so many discrepancies and inconsistencies with his brushes which shouldn't be there for the price you pay for them, especially, when you are expecting something particular and you get another completely different thing. 
Best of luck with the brush. 

By the way, is the 'scratch' similar to the Blonde Badger you have? Is there any way it could be the Finest hair that was put in by mistake as I find it a tad 'scratchy/scritchy', but pleasantly so?

Thanks for the feedback Celestino. It's certainly possible that M&F Finest was used, but I've never tried it so it is hard for me to know. I was very clear when i placed my order that i wanted a 1/2 in Blonde and an XL2 in Heritage, but who really knows what was actually made. The Blonde actually has zero scritch/scratch, so that one is a definite keeper!

38 1,159
 02-18-2015, 05:44 PM
User Info
I had tried only Blondes for a while and they were soft. When I got my first Finest grade, it was a bit scritchy to me. I thought it would stay that way but after about 3 uses, it started softening significantly. Hopefully yours will do the same. What is the brush labeled with?

79 1,298
 02-18-2015, 06:05 PM
User Info
(02-18-2015, 05:44 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I had tried only Blondes for a while and they were soft. When I got my first Finest grade, it was a bit scritchy to me. I thought it would stay that way but after about 3 uses, it started softening significantly. Hopefully yours will do the same. What is the brush labeled with?

It's labelled Blonde. This is a good point because M&F's are usually labelled Blonde or Finest, and I believe Heritages always come with the Blonde label. 

[Image: zt2I7TS.jpg]

38 1,159
 02-18-2015, 07:27 PM
User Info
My current Heritage Beehive is scratch and scritch free, no break in and dries with crusty tips.

Luckily, all of my M&F's are ultra soft

As others have said, he doesn't have a label for Heritage but rather marks them Blonde.

8 2,718
 02-19-2015, 04:28 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I have a 3XL in I believe finest hair, I'm just a touch disappointed with it, it's got some scritch.  I guess it's possible that will evolve over time.  I usually prefer softer two bands.

I always thought finest was supposed to be softer than the blonde?  Maybe there's no real method to the madness?

17 437
 02-19-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info
(02-19-2015, 04:28 AM)Lando Wrote: I have a 3XL in I believe finest hair, I'm just a touch disappointed with it, it's got some scritch.  I guess it's possible that will evolve over time.  I usually prefer softer two bands.

I always thought finest was supposed to be softer than the blonde?  Maybe there's no real method to the madness?

That is what I originally thought, but all the Rooney Finests seem to be scritchy and scratchy.  For a while, it seemed like Lee was putting in a higher grade, softer blonde in Finest but maybe he's going back to how the Rooney's were.

I have never owned a finest in either, so it's all just speculation on my part.

8 2,718
 02-19-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
(02-19-2015, 04:28 AM)Lando Wrote: I have a 3XL in I believe finest hair, I'm just a touch disappointed with it, it's got some scritch.  I guess it's possible that will evolve over time.  I usually prefer softer two bands.

I have a couple of finest and they seem to have more scritch than my heritage and blonde brushes. I enjoy them but the heritage hair is the sweet spot for me.

115 1,005
 02-19-2015, 08:09 AM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
I got last year 2 M&F  brushes  from Lee Sabini ,one Blonde and one  with Heritage hair! Both were labeled Blonde Badger ! The Heritage was more dense with great backbone,but tips was not gel like ,as supposed to be ! Every body know how difficult is the communications with Lee so I did not asked any questions , probably his current batch of Heritage was with this characteristics!

Boyan 

10 415
 02-19-2015, 08:16 AM
  • radu
  • Shaver
  • Romania
User Info
Nice brush.

The knot is bulb shape or hybrid ?

What are the specification: knot, loft, density (medium or extra dense knot) ?

I am waiting a 2XL brush from Lee, with the same handle but with 2 band Finest hair in extra dense bulb knot.

0 227
 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM
User Info
I have a M&F with a finest knot and it has zero scritch, is very soft and has very nice backbone. I guess there are big differences between batches. Well let me say the handle says finest so I assume it's a finest knot.

11 230
 02-19-2015, 08:22 AM
User Info
(02-19-2015, 08:09 AM)Bony Wrote: I got last year 2 M&F  brushes  from Lee Sabini ,one Blonde and one  with Heritage hair! Both were labeled Blonde Badger ! The Heritage was more dense with great backbone,but tips was not gel like ,as supposed to be ! Every body know how difficult is the communications with Lee so I did not asked any questions , probably his current batch of Heritage was with this characteristics!

Mine was ordered in early December 2014. Our brushes may very well be from the same batch.

Honestly, I was not even aware that M&F Heritage knots could be 'gel tipped', so I did not have sky high expectations. I just figured I would get something other than Blonde to experience two different grades. The high density and backbone is very nice on this brush, and if the scratch subsides just a little bit, I think i will keep it. 

38 1,159
 02-19-2015, 08:29 AM
User Info
I have often thought that if I ever replaced my Simpsons, it would be to try M&F. Which brush would compare best to a Chubby 2 2Band Silvertip? 
Beautiful brushes by the way. Enjoy.

39 3,880
 02-19-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
(02-19-2015, 08:16 AM)radu Wrote: Nice brush.

The knot is bulb shape or hybrid ?

What are the specification: knot, loft, density (medium or extra dense knot) ?

I am waiting a 2XL brush from Lee, with the same handle but with 2 band Finest hair in extra dense bulb knot.

I did not make any requests as to knot shape or density when I ordered it. "XL2 Imi Ivory Heritage" was the exact language used. Judging by the looks of it, I'd call it a Hybrid shape. And it is 29/50. As for density, it is definitely on the higher end of the spectrum. 

Congrats on your purchase! Sounds like from the other posters that the current Finest batch is very nice.

38 1,159