02-19-2015, 07:34 PM
User Info
ok, I gave up on the DE shaving for awhile and jumped back in with a Feather AS-D2. Can anyone help ith trying to find the perfect angle. I feel my prep is good but techniqe  needs improvment. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 32
 02-19-2015, 07:47 PM
User Info
It is steeper then most. I have an AS-D1 and use this method with all my razors.

Place the top cap of the razor on your face and slowly lower the handle. When it just starts to cut the whiskers, that's the angle for me.

8 2,718
 02-19-2015, 07:48 PM
User Info
Try using it so that the top cap and blade are creating the angle with the safety bar riding just along the surface of the skin (shallow angle).  The razor handle should be closer to parallel to the floor with this technique.  The more natural angle that many de razors use are blade to safety bar with the top cap riding along/above the surface of the skin (razor handle more parallel to the face).  This has worked for me.  The easiest way to find the angle is to start with the cap on the face and rotate the handle down until you feel the blade start to cut; that should get you close to begin and then you may dial it in further with experience.

PS.  The AS-D2 is my preferred DE razor and I use Med Prep blades with the occasional Feather thrown in.

It appears that my "shallow angle" is contradicting.  The angle is the blade is shallower angle to the face (think straight razor).  

1 71
 02-20-2015, 04:56 AM
User Info
When you can hear the razor cutting the whiskers you should be at the right angle. Use a sharp blade, feather or Med Prep and you should easily hear it cutting.

44 486
 02-20-2015, 05:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All good advise above and let the weight of the razor do the cutting.  No pressure.

175 23,752
 02-20-2015, 02:21 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I never got along with the Feather series, except maybe for the Feather Popular. I admit I may be the oddball here and have nothing enthusiastic to say about these razors, but I couldn't get a shave out of them without excessive messing about with this angle, that angle, etc. etc. And then some. Technique has to apply, yes, but use of what's essentially a tool also has to be reasonably intuitive. Shaving isn't and shouldn't be like performing sensitive, delicate brain surgery.

If you have a very light beard indeed or you prefer an ultra mild shave from a very expensive piece of kit, then the Feather is for you. They look great and are well tooled beauties, but for shaving? Just give me a modest Gillette Tech with a decent blade instead. BBS every time. 

0 1,733
 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Oh Shaun, you are so hard to please. Biggrin

175 23,752
 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-20-2015, 02:21 PM)Shaun Wrote: Just give me a modest Gillette Tech with a decent blade instead. BBS every time. 

+1 to that. I have 2 wonderful Techs that consistently give great BBS shaves!

To be fair though, i have no experience with Feather razors or blades.

4 1,937
 02-20-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
Feather blades rock especially the Pro's in my King Cobra!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 441
 02-20-2015, 05:24 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(02-19-2015, 07:47 PM)Bruce Wrote: It is steeper then most.  I have an AS-D1 and use this method with all my razors.

Place the top cap of the razor on your face and slowly lower the handle.  When it just starts to cut the whiskers, that's the angle for me.

This is the way I do it, too. Finding the angle is step one. Step two is learning to maintain it during the shave.

2 1,683
 02-22-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
Agree with what has been said above .... I listen for the sound.

So far I have only been using old Wilkinsons, but I think most sharp / smooth blades would work.  The razor itself is crazy smooth.

Wow, after selling my first AS-D2 I'm really happy to have another.  It takes me 3 - 3.25 passes compared to my previous goal of 2, but what a great razor.  

Good luck & enjoy!

192 1,588
 02-22-2015, 07:45 PM
User Info
This might just be the mildest DE razor, there is, besides its predecessor, the AS-D1. Good luck and I hope you have much patience!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 03-08-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
(02-22-2015, 07:45 PM)celestino Wrote: This might just be the mildest DE razor, there is, besides its predecessor, the AS-D1. Good luck and I hope you have much patience!  Biggrin

I've just had my third shave with my new AS-D2. I'm getting there. 
My razors to date have been a Merkur 1904 and a Muhle 2013 R41. The 1904 is a very nice medium style razor. BBS possible for me, but with a little irritation after a few shaves. 
Now, the R41- easy BBS, but also massive irritation for me, particularly on my neck. 
Enter the AS-D2- first shave OK- zero irritation, but not that close a shave. Second shave was much better- I concentrated on getting the cap closer to the skin and the shave was much closer. No irritation either.
OK, the third shave- I am getting the hang of the angle required now, BBS on my face and some of my neck, DFS on the rest of my neck. But still absolutely no irritation.
My skin irritates easily, but this Feather does not irritate it at all. You do need to be accurate and consistent with your angle, but ,if you are, a mild, irritation free BBS shave for sensitive skin is a reality. 

0 3
 03-08-2015, 08:30 PM
User Info
The feather is awesome. The shave angle is very steep. It is quire different than my Pils 101 NE. The razor is mild but it can also do some damage if not used correctly. Patience is a virtue with the feather. I think the learning curve on my Pils swayed me from investing the time on the Feather. Ive mastered the Pils and it has become the main go to razor fro daily shaves. I think if i didn't pick up a Pils first then I would spent more time learning the Feather. Maybe one day down the road. 

0 1
 03-08-2015, 09:21 PM
User Info
The Feather AS-D2 is a rather mild shave. 

11 132
 03-09-2015, 08:06 AM
User Info
My point was that it is not merely a mild shave, but, with proper technique, a shave that can be as close as any other razor while still not irritating the skin.

0 3
 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM
User Info
Just managed to get myself a mini weeper with the AS-D2. Just shows that if you're careless any razor can bite!

0 3