02-22-2015, 12:55 PM
User Info
Hi All,

Sadly its not me going to Italy, I'm enjoying the Milwaukee weather too much for that. My parents are going to Italy next month and I thought I would see if anyone had any "must have" items that would be worth having them bring back. I had a friend go to France a few months back and didn't think to have him get me a brain bowl or any MDC for that matter and want to make sure I don't miss out again.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts, please share.

Thanks,
Greg

21 171
 02-22-2015, 02:22 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Just received my order from Antica Barbiera Colla or I'd be asking. 

2 days by the way. Really fast shipping. Pricey but fast 

7 450
 02-23-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
+1 on that Antica Barbiera Colla!

0 33
 02-23-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
Truthfully, anything. I cannot wait until my family and I get to go. My beautiful wife has family out there, so hopefully, we'll be there within the next few years. I will personally be getting some great shaving products though... it's a must!

1 1,975
 02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-23-2015, 12:51 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Truthfully, anything. I cannot wait until my family and I get to go. My beautiful wife has family out there, so hopefully, we'll be there within the next few years. I will personally be getting some great shaving products though... it's a must!

A lot will depend upon where you spend your time in Italy.  My bride and I, who never had visited Italy until 1997, when we stayed at an  agriturismo between Radda and Volpaia, have visited Italy several times since, and on only a couple of those times have we been in places where well stocked apothecaries were handy.  If you spend all of your stay in Roma or Milano, of course -- but not without some research -- you can find places with a wide selection of shaving products.  But if you are devoting, as we have, your entire visit to exploring Radda or Portovenere or Spoleto or Montefalco or Carmignano or Spello or Cremona, the shops are much more modest.  Bologna, the food capital of the Western Hemisphere (a much greater foodie resource than Paris, for example), is not to be missed, but I cannot recall seeing a big apothecary even in that medium size city (not to say that I was looking too hard:  we spent all of our time in Bologna anticipating the next meal).  Do not miss out on the cultural experience just to bring home a suitcase full of shaving swag.

1 1,089
 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-22-2015, 12:55 PM)GregMacMan Wrote: Hi All,

Sadly its not me going to Italy, I'm enjoying the Milwaukee weather too much for that. My parents are going to Italy next month and I thought I would see if anyone had any "must have" items that would be worth having them bring back. I had a friend go to France a few months back and didn't think to have him get me a brain bowl or any MDC for that matter and want to make sure I don't miss out again.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts, please share.

Thanks,
Greg

I say BS to this.  I know the good folks in Milwaukee hate this weather as much as I do.  Wink

178 23,809
 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
This is a very nice offer by the OP! 

I was lucky enough to spend a few weeks in Italy last year and brought back a tub of Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. Highly recommended--great lather, and I like the scent as well (it has a bit of menthol, so it is cooling). You can save some bucks by purchasing it directly, since it is rather pricy (but it is a large tub).

I also spent a night in Radda in Chianti, Mel S Meles--wonderful place, and I have to confess we returned with some Chianti  Cool

60 843
 02-25-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
Viva Italia. While living in Europe, we visited Italy many times. Crazy drivers!!! Beautiful people. Fantastic landscape. Awesome history. The bread... Rolleyes There's nothing not to love about Italy. I hope your parents have a lovely time. Thanks for the generous offer. 
(Did you ask your parents, they may need to take an extra suitcase  Wink )
Buona fortuna.

39 3,919
 04-23-2015, 05:28 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I was wondering the same thing . I will be in Rome for a few days, then a few stops and ending my vacation in Barcelona. I was hoping to pick up some ABC in Italy and of course some Myrosol and maybe a Vie-long shave brush in Barcelona. Any one know any shops? For sure I want this to be a vacation and not a wet shave shopping spree. My wife made be say that!

21 463
 04-23-2015, 10:33 PM
User Info
Subbed in case anyone chimes in. I'll be traveling through most of Europe if all goes well this summer. From Turkey to Spain, then on to the UK and Ireland. I intend to spend as much time as I can in Italy. I'd love to make a visit to Mastro Livi for a custom straight, but I think that would cut too far into the travel budget!

4 63
 04-24-2015, 12:20 AM
User Info
(04-23-2015, 05:28 PM)HarryO Wrote: I was wondering the same thing . I will be in Rome for a few days, then a few stops and ending my vacation in Barcelona. I was hoping to pick up some ABC in Italy and of course some Myrosol and maybe a Vie-long shave brush in Barcelona. Any one know any shops? For sure I want this to be a vacation and not a wet shave shopping spree. My wife made be say that!

A must see shop in Barcelona: Ganivetería Roca, located at Plaça del Pi, 3

http://www.ganiveteriaroca.cat/en/

[Image: home32.jpg]

2 5,547
 04-25-2015, 09:12 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I'm good on shaving supplies. Something like this would be nice[Image: wGUbnM4.jpg]

2 3,171
 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The Met is performing Cavaleria Rustica and I Pagliaci (SP) as I type- you can hear it online @ KUSC Lost Angeles.

2 3,171