02-22-2015, 08:38 PM
User Info
On their web site, one can see that there are a few different Ikon head models. What are the differences? For example, what is the difference between the Shave Craft 102 Slant and the B1 Slant? Does Ikon make any DE razors with safety bar on both sides that is on the mild side?

8 72
 02-22-2015, 08:51 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
Ikon does offer a standard head, closed comb but I think its out of stock at the moment. Their open and closed comb razors are both mild, at least the 2013 models that I owned were mild.

80 469
 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-22-2015, 08:51 PM)lfs70 Wrote: Ikon does offer a standard head, closed comb but I think its out of stock at the moment. Their open and closed comb razors are both mild, at least the 2013 models that I owned were mild.

I would not characterize them as mild. The OSS and the Shavecraft 101 are mild but the Open Comb Bulldog and Solid Bar Bulldog are moderate shavers with the Solid Bar actually being slightly more aggressive than the Open Comb.

46 18,636
 02-23-2015, 11:01 AM
User Info
(02-22-2015, 09:04 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 08:51 PM)lfs70 Wrote: Ikon does offer a standard head, closed comb but I think its out of stock at the moment. Their open and closed comb razors are both mild, at least the 2013 models that I owned were mild.

I would not characterize them as mild. The OSS and the Shavecraft 101 are mild but the Open Comb Bulldog and Solid Bar Bulldog are moderate shavers with the Solid Bar actually being slightly more aggressive than the Open Comb.

+1

83 21,115
 02-23-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
If you want an efficient close shave that feels very mild the Shavecraft 102 slant is for you. This is one of my favorite iKon heads.

122 13,219
 02-23-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
The Shavecraft 102 slant is a "canted" head concept razor.  There is no torque put on the blade like there is in other slants, including the iKon B1 slant.  The B1 slant head is stainless steel and quite heavy; the Shavecraft 102 head is aircraft-grade aluminum and is lighter, although it's not lightweight at all. 

They do not make a mild shaver that has a safety bar on both sides.  The Shavecraft 101 is very mild on both sides, and the OC side is actually slightly milder than the SB side. 

Unlike Slantman, if I had to choose between the Shavecraft 101 and 102, I'd take the 101 all day every day.  I find it a smoother, more comfortable shaver.  YMMV, obviously. 

2 1,557
 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
What is the difference between Shave Craft and Ikon?  Shavecraft looks to be their budget line.  Are Shavecraft heads made from something other than stainless steel and the premier line, Ikon heads, made from the stainless?   

8 72
 02-23-2015, 09:06 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-23-2015, 12:49 PM)jwr0201 Wrote: What is the difference between Shave Craft and Ikon?  Shavecraft looks to be their budget line.  Are Shavecraft heads made from something other than stainless steel and the premier line, Ikon heads, made from the stainless?   

Shavecraft is the designation of iKon's high-volume razors, the Toyota Corollas of the iKon line.  The Shavecraft 101 and 102 are made of machined aluminum, which is an excellent material for a razor, superior -- IMHO -- to chrome-plated cast zinc alloy (Merkur, Jagger, Muehle).  The non-Shavecraft iKon razors -- the equivalent of Lexus models from Toyota -- are made of machined stainless steel and are heavier and "more premium" than the iKon Shavecrafts.  And -- as another poster has noted above -- the iKon stainless steel slants (including DLC and B1) use the complex slant geometry that torques the blade within the head for greater edge rigidity and resistance to judder, while the Shavecraft 102 is a simpler geometry, a conventional solid-bar head (no torquing of the blade) that is attached to the handle with a skewed connection that puts the blade's edge on your face as if you were not holding the razor handle perpendicular to the way you are pulling the razor across your face.

1 1,110
 02-24-2015, 12:07 PM
User Info
(02-23-2015, 12:49 PM)jwr0201 Wrote: What is the difference between Shave Craft and Ikon?  Shavecraft looks to be their budget line.  Are Shavecraft heads made from something other than stainless steel and the premier line, Ikon heads, made from the stainless?   

Maybe you were composing this question while I was posting my answer, above? 

Shavecraft heads are made of aluminum.  The premier heads are made of sintered stainless.  Thoughts about the razors and their shaving qualities are in my previous post.

2 1,557
 02-24-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
The iKon Shavecraft 101 is a favorite of mine (never thought of the open comb side as being milder -- I'll pay more attention next shave) and it lives in my travel bag. I drag it out quite often to shave with -- on the road or not.

The 102 is a different creature altogether. While I think it's really cool to have a razor that is made in homage to some historical razors, it is too mild for me. I have had success shimming some other mild razors to increase their bite, but I haven't tried this with the 102 -- yet.

The Shavecraft heads are really nice. I don't know if they're aluminum, or some other type of metal/alloy, but they are beautifully made. I love everything I've tried from iKon, but I think their 101 is the crown jewel.
Euro

5 395
 02-25-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
(02-24-2015, 06:00 PM)opsimath Wrote: The iKon Shavecraft 101 is a favorite of mine (never thought of the open comb side as being milder -- I'll pay more attention next shave) and it lives in my travel bag. I drag it out quite often to shave with -- on the road or not.

The 102 is a different creature altogether. While I think it's really cool to have a razor that is made in homage to some historical razors, it is too mild for me. I have had success shimming some other mild razors to increase their bite, but I haven't tried this with the 102 -- yet.

The Shavecraft heads are really nice. I don't know if they're aluminum, or some other type of metal/alloy, but they are beautifully made. I love everything I've tried from iKon, but I think their 101 is the crown jewel.
Euro
Oh, and just an interesting side note:  I actually own the original Punktal razor upon which the 101 was based.  The 101 is 100X nicer.  The Punktal is extremely aggressive and has serious QC issues.  Greg did everybody a great favor resurrecting and greatly improving upon this classic design.

2 1,557