02-23-2015, 12:39 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Interesting. I have two Gillette Made in England New OC razors, both in their original bakelite cases (both slightly different cases). The razors look identical - until you check out the baseplates.

One has the the Gillette logo and stamp below the "twin pins" (late 30s - early 40s); the other has the logo above the "round pins" (1946). Curiously, I can only find reference to the "round pin" model with the logo below the pins, not above like in mine. See Mr Razor:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The%20N...ngland.JPG

I don't think this means mine's rarer; it's just more variation in the Gillette range. I have a few of these handles I have picked up over time, but what are they known as? I call them "Straight Bars" for want of education on the matter. Perhaps someone knows? 

Anyway, here are the pictures:

[Image: zAJZT4k.jpg]
[Image: cGZtdQp.jpg]
[Image: 4jYYf4r.jpg]
[Image: zNlq0vm.jpg]

0 1,733
 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
I think they were trying out a lot of variations in this era - don't forget that Gainsman / Valet Autostrop took over Gillette effectively in this era. The bottom picture reminds me a lot of a Probak not too surprisingly. 

0 217
 02-27-2015, 09:10 AM
User Info
those are gorgeous razors.  Can't offer any informed opinion about exactly what they are, but I'll bet they shave wonderfully. 

The Probak I have resembles a Goodwill more than it resembles either of those razors. 

2 1,391
 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM
User Info
Congrats on this find!

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975