02-23-2015, 11:53 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I just stumbled on this. Looks very promising. For $75 you get an American made stainless steel razor with 3 different base plates, each with two different blade gaps/exposures for a total of 6 settings. Shipping appears to be free and the $75 may be in CND, so could be less in USD. These guys are funded by Kickstarter and are ready to ship very soon. Sharpologist tested a prototype and is very positive. For a price of Weber you get a lot of value, it seems. I've placed an order and will report on how it works when I get it. It has been a very long time since I had RAD and this is not RAD either. I am just very interested in a reasonably priced stainless DE that is readily available and is good for me. Weber was too mild. This has 6 settings, so I am hoping one of them will suit me.

If anyone has gotten one of these as a Kickstarter backer let us know what these are about!

26 1,736
 02-23-2015, 12:06 PM
User Info
Interesting, but from the pictures it looks like a stainless steel handle and cast baseplate and heads?  I could be completely wrong, but the baseplate & heads do not look machined or even finished at all.  I'd love to be proved wrong, so I am certainly interested in what your thoughts are upon arrival.

1 71
 02-23-2015, 12:10 PM
User Info
Don't buy it yet. Not until they fix their QC. 

61 1,710
 02-23-2015, 12:25 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-23-2015, 11:53 AM)vferdman Wrote: If anyone has gotten one of these as a Kickstarter backer let us know what these are about!

Hi Vladimir

I sincerely hope Rockwell Razors ultimately succeed, but at this time I can not recommend their razor...

I received my Rockwell razor (via their KickStarter project) at the very beginning of the year and have *not* used it (will not use it).

I did share my thoughts (via email) with them, regarding the razor I received, and will say, so far they been good to their word. I am currently waiting on a new (replacement) razor to arrive -- at the earliest it won't get here until sometime in the first half of March.

Until I see the new razor they send me, I won't share my thoughts on the one I originally received, nor will I bad mouth them in public... But if the new (replacement) razor also proves to be unusable, then I will seriously reconsider my stance...

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed my poor grammar...

23 1,872
 02-23-2015, 12:51 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have read some stuff on their Kickstarter page and have seen that they had quality/production issues that they had resolved. This is a start-up who is trying to bring to market a high value product at a very competitive price. Problems will arise, that is expected. What I do see, however, is that these guys are committed to delivering on their promise. They have recalled the defective heads and are replacing them. The heads are not machined, they are forged out of stainless steel. After the forging they are machine polished. This was partially the issue. They did not get the finishing step correctly. Again, for a start-up that is cutting its teeth, that's fine as long as they stand by their customers and supporters. Let's face it, we have paid good money for crappy razors before (Merkur, I am looking at you) and got ZERO customer support of value. So let's give these guys a chance. If things go their way and they figure out how to deliver a stainless American made DE with 3 base plates for under $100 (ATT will set you back what, 4 times that for 3 plates?), I say they have a winner, even if the finish is not mirror-like on the base-plates.

I am still in. $75 does not seem like a huge investment into a potentially excellent razor. From what I see in these guys, I think they will make good on their promise. That is, of course, my own opinion. I am in no way affiliated with them. Just like their spunk and put my $$ behind it.

--
Vladimir

26 1,736
 02-24-2015, 09:52 AM
User Info
(02-23-2015, 12:51 PM)vferdman Wrote: I have read some stuff on their Kickstarter page and have seen that they had quality/production issues that they had resolved. This is a start-up who is trying to bring to market a high value product at a very competitive price. Problems will arise, that is expected. What I do see, however, is that these guys are committed to delivering on their promise. They have recalled the defective heads and are replacing them. The heads are not machined, they are forged out of stainless steel. After the forging they are machine polished. This was partially the issue. They did not get the finishing step correctly. Again, for a start-up that is cutting its teeth, that's fine as long as they stand by their customers and supporters. Let's face it, we have paid good money for crappy razors before (Merkur, I am looking at you) and got ZERO customer support of value. So let's give these guys a chance. If things go their way and they figure out how to deliver a stainless American made DE with 3 base plates for under $100 (ATT will set you back what, 4 times that for 3 plates?), I say they have a winner, even if the finish is not mirror-like on the base-plates.

I am still in. $75 does not seem like a huge investment into a potentially excellent razor. From what I see in these guys, I think they will make good on their promise. That is, of course, my own opinion. I am in no way affiliated with them. Just like their spunk and put my $$ behind it.

--
Vladimir

All well and good but they have had $75 of mine tied up since September with no end in sight. I can't recommend them to anyone UNTIL they fix the problem. Willingness is one thing, and I commend them for that, but delivering is a different story. Time will tell. 

As much good will as you seem to have for these guys, they either

A.) Knowingly sent out a faulty product

or

B.) Sent out a product without checking it first

Neither of which is OK in my book. So I am very sorry, but I do not share your optimism for this outfit and I completely regret this purchase.

If it had been through Paypal and not via Visa I would have filed a dispute a long time ago with these folks. 

61 1,710
 02-24-2015, 10:18 AM
User Info
I agree with most of the other Posts here. There is 'truth in ALL of them, it just depends on what is 'important' to YOU.

I also wanted to support this 'endeavor' and was one of the FIRST to order one back in September (When I was relatively new to wet shaving). When I FINALLY received the razor in early January, I had purchased (or was getting) several 'high quality/high end' razors (iKon, ATT, BBS-1, Mongoose).

I had already made up my mind, that once I finally received the Rockwell 6S, I would sell it on ebay (UN-used). When it arrived, the 'lack of quality' of the razor, confirmed this decision (Even BEFORE a few Posts on TSN concerning the 'issues'). I was probably the first person to sell one on ebay. (BTW: the buyer became aware of the 'quality issues' and I gave him the information necessary to get the 'updates'. He only wanted the razor as a 'collectors item').

Bottom Line: As with most things, YOU have to make your own determination as to whether or not you want to support this endeavor.
MY TAKE: Great MARKETING, Very POOR Product. (Something which I do NOT endorse on/for ANY product).
There are (especially now) MANY better choices out there. In regards to price, 'you get what you pay for' applies here, as well as 'There are better choices available'.
I hope this helps.

Also want to add this: Are there ANY positive reviews on this razor (apart from 'endorsement reviews', which need to be taken in the proper perspective of being 'tied' to the manufacturer) ??

41 374
 02-24-2015, 10:55 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-24-2015, 09:52 AM)NSmalls Wrote: All well and good but they have had $75 of mine tied up since September with no end in sight. I can't recommend them to anyone UNTIL they fix the problem. Willingness is one thing, and I commend them for that, but delivering is a different story. Time will tell. 

As much good will as you seem to have for these guys, they either

A.) Knowingly sent out a faulty product

or

B.) Sent out a product without checking it first

Neither of which is OK in my book. So I am very sorry, but I do not share your optimism for this outfit and I completely regret this purchase.

If it had been through Paypal and not via Visa I would have filed a dispute a long time ago with these folks. 

Nick, I am sorry for your bad experience. Perhaps I just got into this later and have not received a shoddy product for my money (in fact I received nothing still and my credit card has not been charged). So I have a different perspective. However, I encourage you to hang in there and see what happens (I know, you really have no other choice). I have a feeling these guys are earnest and are just inexperienced in getting a product to market. There is so much more than an idea and a design to do that successfully. They are learning this now. They have admitted to not checking the product going out to early supporters. They have been straight about their mistakes and they are correcting them. They are now personally inspecting each razor going out (whenever that is) or so they say. Again, I have no affiliation, just feel for them as I myself make things to sell to customers and I myself have experienced unexpected issues and I myself had to learn how to make things right. I am not enjoying a $200,000 funding as these guys are and I am investing my own time and money into my business, but I can see how easy it is to fall prey to circumstances. So, yes, I understand you as a customer and I understand them as a beginner business. Kickstarter is a risky place to "buy" things. I put quotes on the word "buy" because you are not really buying. You are pledging support. If the venture fails you are out of your pledge money. Many Kickstarter campaigns deliver nothing at all in the end. Sucks to be those supporters, but I still think it's an interesting way to raise money to manifest ideas.

Let's hope these guys figure it out and deliver an outstanding product in a few weeks' time.

26 1,736
 02-25-2015, 01:57 PM
User Info
It's sad when people bring to market something that isn't ready for market, because all it does is harm people's impression of wet-shaving all together!

0 217
 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM
User Info
According to their site razors ordered directly through them or esty.com won't be shipped until March 15 and not billed via Paypal until shipped. With that said I have read about their issues and the promise to ship replacement parts to customers.  I don't know if this is a reality or not but although we say ONLY $75 why should anybody pay a penny until we can be assured that all problems have been solved. 

119 13,008
 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-25-2015, 01:57 PM)Razor Emporium Wrote: It's sad when people bring to market something that isn't ready for market, because all it does is harm people's impression of wet-shaving all together!

I respectfully disagree. This can and does happen in many industries. In my experience, this situation is the exception, not the rule, and it reflects only on them--not the many manufacturers with whom so many of us have been happy. 

60 843
 03-03-2015, 05:51 AM
User Info
looks like an interesting razor, has me curious! however I'll wait until they're out in the hands of many and hear the feedback to pull the trigger though.

2 60
 03-03-2015, 06:20 AM
  • cnj01
  • Central California
User Info
I will be waiting for feedback. It will interesting if they work out the glitches. 

11 68
 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM
User Info
As one of the first 'Backers', I continue to receive email 'Updates', on Feb. 27. 2015 I received Project Update #26 (I have already SOLD my Rockwell, but thought I would share this 'for informational purposes").
Which read, in part:
Hey Backers,

We’re so happy to finally announce… Your pledge rewards have been repolished, machined, checked and assembled, and are ready to be handed off to our shipping partners. This is what 2500 razors looks like:
[Image: 877a60b1c8eebc3fdc5f03d5b73df5e8_large.jpg?1425090416]
[Image: ffce45f09bf5ba5587ab1c633e856009_large.jpg?1425090372]
We wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for your patience while we spent the last few weeks doing quality control on each and every razor to ensure you all receive a Rockwell 6S that will give you a top-notch shave. We’ve learned a ton through the designing and manufacturing of this first batch of the Rockwell 6S, and it’s been great to have the support of you, our backers, over the last months. We’re going to continue to innovate and improve our razors as we strive to make the most comfortable shave for everyone.
After the razors are dropped off with our mailing service, they’ll be getting all the packages injected into the appropriate shipping channels as soon as possible. Requested replacement heads are all being dropped off along with these razors. We have over 2000 razors going to over 66 countries, so it's not as simple as walking into our local Canada Post office. To get over this complication, we partnered with a third party mailing service to prepare customs documentation for each of these countries, and split up these boxes of razors into thousands of individual unique packages. With that in mind, please be patient while your razor is prepared and inserted into the appropriate shipping channel. Shipments will be picked up by the postal services through next week, and you should all expect to receive your razors in the coming weeks!

41 374
 03-03-2015, 06:47 AM
User Info
It is definetly an interesting concept for a razor.

I don't get the whole flipping of heads or dual sided razor thing, so will stick with my adjustables. Even those, I leave on one setting and use.

8 2,718