03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
If you're interested in reading "Weber Razor, my first impressions..." go here.

[Image: eSVHg.jpg][Image: 0fFkx.jpg][Image: leasO.jpg]
[Image: 5Ujhb.jpg][Image: Uc943.jpg]

Please keep in mind I have not yet shaved with the Weber, therefore I can't comment on its feel, quality of shave...

Comparisons, observations and thoughts:
  • Weber handle is 3⅞ inches long, therefore making it ⅛ inch longer than the OSS handle.
  • Weber handle is noticeably thinner than the OSS handle.
  • Both feel good in the hand, offer good grip via their knurling, but out of the two I prefer the thicker handle of the OSS.
  • I do like the OSS "Dual Head Design" (One Side "Open Comb", other side "Closed"), so you could argue you're getting two razors in one. But honestly, I couldn't tell any real difference between the two sides, which I believe is a good thing (after having shaved with it for a week). I didn't have to focus energy on worrying which side of the head I was using.
  • As should be expected from 100% stainless razors, both have good weight to them.
  • The Weber feels to me to have more of its weight in the lower part of the handle, and feels a little bit light in the head department.
  • Though the OSS definitely has more of its weight in the lower part of the handle, the head also has good weight to it (doesn't feel as light as the Weber head).
  • Therefore I feel the overall weight of the OSS is better distributed along its total length.
  • I like how the OSS head is wide enough to cover the full width of the blade, whereas on the Weber (and on the Edwin Jagger DE89L) the blade is exposed about 0.5mm on either end, enough so you can fill it on your finger tips.
  • The screw thread piece on the underside of the OSS head appears to be the same length as the Edwin Jagger DE89L, therefore in my mind it appears, feels, better than the Weber which has a slightly shorter screw thread piece (though I'm sure it is fine). In the end I guess it just comes down to what you're use to.
  • (With my 20/20 vision), blade edge exposure appears to be the same on both.
  • The Weber presents the blade edge at quite a step angle, looks almost identical to the Edwin Jagger DE89L. Whereas the OSS presents the blade edge at a notably shallower angle, therefore results in having to hold the Weber and OSS at completely different angles when shaving.
  • Fit-and-finish, I would say the OSS wins that. I think it would be fair to say, the tooling, machining, what have you, is of a higher standard on the OSS. That's not to say the Weber is badly, poorly made, fair from it...
  • Overall appearance, that's a difficult one, as it really comes down to personal preference (taste). Me, if I had to choose between the two, I would have to go with the OSS on overall appearance. That said, the Weber has a unique look, which I also like. Plus if Weber released an all-black "Dark Knight" version, I would buy one without question.
  • Value for money, the Weber has to win that one. Both are 100% stainless razors, so I consider both to be "high end". I'm not totally convinced the OSS is worth its $150+ price tag, please don't get me wrong here, everything about it is top draw, but when you can get the Weber for $55 I find it a little too difficult to justify the OSS price tag.
  • If the OSS was $99 or below, I would without question buy one. Tell the truth, I still might end up buying one, but it's going to have to wait for a "special" occasion...

23 1,872
 03-04-2012, 04:52 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I debated on getting an OSS but I truly wondered if the shave would be "that" much better than with an R41 or a Fatip. I did try a Weber and it just wasn't aggressive enough for me. It's a beautiful piece of shaving machinery but just didn't do much for me as far as beard reduction goes.

116 3,804
 03-04-2012, 05:08 PM
User Info
(03-04-2012, 04:52 PM)itsmedave Wrote: I debated on getting an OSS but I truly wondered if the shave would be "that" much better than with an R41 or a Fatip. I did try a Weber and it just wasn't aggressive enough for me. It's a beautiful piece of shaving machinery but just didn't do much for me as far as beard reduction goes.

Dave, I would certainly agree in your comparison. Fatip is right up there (one of my favorite). I just gave it a BRW (Bobs...) handle. Yeah baby!

2 546
 03-05-2012, 03:44 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(03-04-2012, 05:08 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 04:52 PM)itsmedave Wrote: I debated on getting an OSS but I truly wondered if the shave would be "that" much better than with an R41 or a Fatip. I did try a Weber and it just wasn't aggressive enough for me. It's a beautiful piece of shaving machinery but just didn't do much for me as far as beard reduction goes.

Dave, I would certainly agree in your comparison. Fatip is right up there (one of my favorite). I just gave it a BRW (Bobs...) handle. Yeah baby!

I have a BRW handle on my R41, but it won't fit on my Fatip. I guess I should send it back and get it rethreaded?

116 3,804
 03-05-2012, 03:57 AM
User Info
The OSS is very mild, when compared to the new R41 (which I dislike) and the Joris/Fatip (which I do). I certainly isn't 'better' - though that's subjective. If you like the aggressive razors, you're probably not going to take to the OSS.

I find that I can get a really good shave from the OSS - with a really sharp blade, and as long as I don't have too much stubble to start with. I do think the head design (with the two 'sides') is distracting and an unnecessary gimmick.

The Weber looks interesting.

37 1,731
 03-05-2012, 07:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Went to the Weber website to order one for myself, but they are out of stock!Sad

91 17,801