02-24-2015, 07:46 PM
User Info
Anybody else had any problems with The Golden Nib? Knot quality or comunication?

0 52
 02-24-2015, 09:43 PM
User Info
No problems with communication. I called them one time and was helped rather fast. I have never emailed them.

I have been happy with 4 of the knots I have had from them but 1 24mm HMW was just eh. Knot had hairs in the knot that were poking out here and there and then it was just very dirty.

I would still order from them but feel that some of the certain hair knots will be inconsistent here and there. Good prices and fast shipping.

81 1,368
 02-24-2015, 10:26 PM
User Info
I quickly set and try to break in any knots I buy from them so I can get a replacement without any issues. That said I only had one that I returned that was a shedder. They promptly responded and sent a replacement.

I'll agree I was a little dissappointed in my 24mm HMW. It has medium fine hair but about 10% of the hairs are trimmed and there were a good solid 25 black hairs in the knot that really took away from the softness (trimmed them individually 3/4 of the way down). So now the knot has pretty good scrub, moderate cushion and decent softness.

"Super badger" really didn't impress. A little floppy, notable glue bump and was the shedder. 

Silvertip Grade A is pretty nice. The hairs are thin though so with hard soaps and at the higher loft I set mine at hairs can break on occasion (1-2 every other shave or so). A little springy but real soft. All tips terminate naturally but no curling.

Nothing needed to be said about finest.

Super finest feels almost like a thinner M&F blonde. Less backbone and better flow through and light scrub/slight scruff. 

I may try premium silvertip next.

4 146
 02-25-2015, 04:35 AM
User Info
I've used their knots for several years with no issues with products or customer service. They seem like quite nice folks and eager to please.

Finest: everybody knows it. I like a lot.

Finest F2: don't know what to make of. Reminds me of Simpson Best with darker tips. Not a 2-band. Good backbone. I still like it

Super Badger. Pretty soft, white tips, Fine hairs. No problem with backbone but set the knot short on that one. My least favorite.

Standard Silvertip: Here's the surprise. It's inexpensive and rarely mentioned. It's tips are extremely soft and cloud-like. A little more gray that white in color. Not the most backbone but not floppy either. A real sleeper giver how soft the tips are and fine the hairs. I love it for creams. It's the knot below:

[Image: IBMckyl.jpg]

2 205
 02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I've been using TGN knots for years and have probably installed well over a 100 of them. I only had one or two problems over the years and TGN has quickly and effortlessly replaced the problem knots with no questions asked. I contacted them with a problem and they just sent me a new knot. No explanations were necessary. The consistency of their products varies sometimes and I find that a bit inconvenient, but we are dealing with natural product and they really do not manufacture it and therefore have no control of what they receive from their supplier. They are always willing to do exchanges and returns (again, no questions asked). So I feel very good about my relationship with TGN and would recommend them wholeheartedly. They are a father and daughter team, so they do not always respond instantly, but they always respond and they have always taken care of me as a customer. If you received  a knot you are not happy with, they will exchange or accept a return on it provided you have not used it. If there is a defect in the knot such as excessive shedding, they will replace it (in my case no questions asked, YMMV. I buy a lot of knots from them).

I buy mostly their two band knots and most of the time they are superb. Some are colored more contrasty than others (very white tips vs. grey tips), some have the famous curling of the tips, some don't. Batches vary, but generally, their two band finest knots are outstanding and consistently good quality if a little varied in appearance.

26 1,758
 02-25-2015, 10:46 PM
User Info
I have one Finest and it was a tremendous value. I recently ordered another and the USPS somehow sent it to Alaska. I had a helpful response to my inquiry about it  from TGN within an hour. That's good service in my book.

15 771
 02-26-2015, 01:50 AM
User Info
(02-24-2015, 07:46 PM)Hersh77 Wrote: Anybody else had any problems with The Golden Nib? Knot quality or comunication?

I am a customer of TGN,i have bough knot from all the categories (except the very expensive silvertips)
I had no problems although the china knot providers may have change some times,1-2 Pure badgers and the Finest didn't worked as i wanted.
No problem with communication,Mrs Vanessa is responsible for the mails and Mr Anthony is for the phone
I want to mention something unique:
I bought as a new customer some knots,i paid and the next day the send me email that my order is shipped
One day after Mrs Vanessa send me email and told me that due to the system that don't recognize post codes from all the foreign countries the shipping was less that it must
Nevertheless they send me the parcel in a low price although they knew it and asked me after the shipping if i want to pay the rest of the money to cover the difference
Of course i did it ! I was impressed,they show trust to me even they didn't knew me at all because i was a new customer
I could believe this,that's an example of people with moral and i appreciated,i have only good words to say for this US shop.

0 353
 03-03-2015, 10:00 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I had a minor issue with them that Tony promptly rectified even though he didn't sell me the knot directly.  I got a restore from an Etsy vendor who would not warrant his brush when it started shedding, so on a whim I sent Tony an email and amazingly he sent me a new knot.  That shows me that he goes above and beyond when taking care of customers, even when he is not directly involved in your actual sale.  It was a great experience and the knot he sent back was absolutely top notch. 

74 1,523
 03-04-2015, 06:33 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Communication for sure.  I emailed twice and heard nothing.  I called him and spoke to him about a week ago and he said he was waiting for his daughter to take a few pictures of various handles that I was interested in.  Then I never heard back.  The first two times I ordered from TGN I had courteous and professional responses; this was a few years ago.  What the Hades happened?  Got me.

1 796
 03-13-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
place an order and wait a couple of days to get a response, but ultimately always satisfied

0 33
 03-14-2015, 08:21 PM
User Info
My first badger brush is a TGN and it's one I'll never let go of. I've tried a couple TGN knots since then and none of them compared to my original brush - love that brush. I've had great communication with them though.

12 848
 03-15-2015, 10:30 PM
User Info
Their knots are brilliant and the prices are inexpensive. Purchasing a handle from an artisan and putting your own knot at your preferred loft is pretty damn enjoyable.

23 475
 03-18-2015, 02:32 AM
User Info
Update: the quality on Black Badgers of TGN has dropped dramatically.
In the past i had no problem at all but my latest purchase was a failure.
The knot didn't had the backbone that the previous knots had,i defunk him for 2 days but still after 2 shaving days the smell was present
Also the knot was very dirty,in the squeeze at the end of the swirling the lather was a little bit brown.
In the past the knot was clean,no smell and no "bird's nest" while swirling. Also in pure badgers the quality isn't as it was in the past,maybe the chinese provider change the way that raises his badgers.
No problem with emails or phone till now.

0 353
 03-18-2015, 07:22 AM
User Info
I've had quite a few TGN Knots for restoration projects and have been very happy with them all.  I did have a knot that shed a bit in the beginning but stopped after the first few uses.  I'm still using that one today.

10 131
 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM
  • kiruiz
  • Boellis Man
  • San Juan PR
User Info
Gents:

In my particular experience I had the opportunity to have two of them. Both of them where shedders. I replace them with WSP and no issues.

Thanks
Ken

22 209
 04-01-2015, 02:42 PM
User Info
way to mixed variations in knots for me. i have 4 26mm finest and every one is very different from the others. only 1 is an amazing knot what i would never sell .... ever. the others ehh.

16 660