02-25-2015, 07:50 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
I thinking strongly about buying a cjb clone of the feather nonfolding. If I like it I'll buy a feather nonfolding dx. I have some concerns buying one based on the bad experiences I had with my shavette. I bought a shavette or hair shaper at a flea market, it takes the personna hair shaper blades. I just bought it to get a basic feel of a straight. First couple of shaves no cuts or nothing, but man the third and sixth shave it was a bloody bath! The hair shaper blades have very sharp corners, both times those corners got me. I have 2 scars one on the chin and the other on the left cheek. I also noticed that the hair shapers are very tuggy on the beard, even when held at a flatter angle. The hair shaper is also two light for much if any feedback when shaving. So maybe some if you guys can tell me what I'll be getting into if I buy the cjb nonfolding straight, and what to expect. Are the corners on the feather blades rounded? Or are they sharp/pointy like the hair shaper blades? Which feather blades should I start with? I hate to admit, but I will those 2 bloody baths scared me away from straights. Those corners on the shaper blades bit me hard! I know feathers are sharp! I use them in my de, and I love em. You just got to respect a sharp blade. What to expect when using cjb with feathers compared to my experiences with my shaper blade razor? Or should I just toss in the towel and forget the straights? I realize they will be a learning curve, but I don't want  face full of scars!

0 80
 02-25-2015, 08:17 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
The best combo I found for learning is the Feather Pro Guard and the Artist Club Razor. The blades are forgiving and have rounded corners.
[Image: JPQFo2w.jpg]
The 2" blades are easy to navigate and will give many shaves. I say stick with it! Good Luck.

59 4,379
 02-25-2015, 09:52 PM
User Info
The CJB razors are actually quite well made and they accept most of the SE blade offerings. I have one and I have used the Feather Professional blades in it. Great deal for the money!!! I would highly recommend one and good luck.  Smile

82 21,056
 02-26-2015, 02:29 AM
User Info
I have never used a shavette, but I bought a Feather Professional just before Christmas - (The Sam Seong is a clone of it).

I was also worried about getting serious cuts so the first time I used it, I paired it with a Feather Light blade.

My intention was to do one WTGpass on my cheeks then finish off with my KIng Cobra.

The shave felt so comfortable, that I ended up doing 3 passes WTG, XTG and GTX. One very tiny weeper and a bit of stinging with the Alum but DFS results.

Since then the shaves are slowly getting better.

Get the CJB, you wont regret it.

1 93
 03-04-2015, 09:25 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
CJB and Sam Seong are both of good quality for the price or more. I have tried most of the Feather blades and am now using the Feather Pro. I have not tried the Kai blades.
~Richard

8 1,194
 03-05-2015, 04:08 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Like 'geezer' I've used all of the Feather blades as well as the Kai blades.  I prefer the Kai Milds..  they seem to be the best match to the Feather razor.

I did exactly what the OP did.. started with a CJB and then moved to the Feather Dx when I knew I was going to stay with it.  I am currently looking for another Feather Dx (and a Mongoose).  Great shaves!

33 914
 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
There is a big difference between the shave with a shavette and a Feather (or CJB). You'll have to try some blades to see what suits you best. I don't like the light and guarded blades of any make for instance. Feather pro and super pro, kai mild and dorco's are my favorites.

28 1,433