02-26-2015, 07:14 AM
User Info
Today was my fourth shave with this product. Love the scent. Love the glide. Love the lather it produces. 5 star product. However, by the third pass, my face is starting to tingle, burn (that word is too harsh). Afterwards, no irritation, no burning, just a terrific post shave.
Anybody else getting a burning sensation with Catie's Bubbles Le Piment de la Vie?

39 3,950
 02-26-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
Primo- that makes 2 of us.. This puppy lit my face up pretty good. Performance was stellar as you stated but I personally can't say I was over the moon with the scent. 

65 799
 02-26-2015, 08:43 AM
User Info
(02-26-2015, 07:14 AM)primotenore Wrote: Today was my fourth shave with this product. Love the scent. Love the glide. Love the lather it produces. 5 star product. However, by the third pass, my face is starting to tingle, burn (that word is too harsh). Afterwards, no irritation, no burning, just a terrific post shave.
Anybody else getting a burning sensation with Catie's Bubbles Le Piment de la Vie?

Yes indeed I get  burning and tingling as well and a little redness. This seems to be a known problem with the ingredients used. Did not notice anything for me that was especially good in the post shave. Also I am fairly neutral about the scent.

0 113
 02-26-2015, 09:18 AM
User Info
(02-26-2015, 08:43 AM)sandan Wrote:
(02-26-2015, 07:14 AM)primotenore Wrote: Today was my fourth shave with this product. Love the scent. Love the glide. Love the lather it produces. 5 star product. However, by the third pass, my face is starting to tingle, burn (that word is too harsh). Afterwards, no irritation, no burning, just a terrific post shave.

Yes indeed I get  burning and tingling as well and a little redness. This seems to be a known problem with the ingredients used. Did not notice anything for me that was especially good in the post shave. Also I am fairly neutral about the scent.
Can we narrow it down to which ingredient?

39 3,950
 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM
User Info
(02-26-2015, 09:18 AM)primotenore Wrote:

I've heard that the cinnamon is likely the irritant. Oddly enough, as sensitive as my skin is I haven't had any issues with the LPV.

5 49
 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
Interesting, and it's the cinnamon that makes the scent so attractive. Side note: The aftershave lotion, which has the same scent, is very soothing and no hint of anything tingly. 

39 3,950
 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
I also experienced a slight tingling/burning sensation and that is why I don't use it which is very unfortunate as this is one of the most complex and intriguing scents that I have tried!

83 21,110
 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM
User Info
This is a dilemma. To B/S/T or burn... Firedevil

39 3,950
 02-26-2015, 11:17 AM
User Info
Decided. Thread posted.  Sad

39 3,950
 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
(02-26-2015, 07:58 AM)Bravado13 Wrote: Primo- that makes 2 of us.. This puppy lit my face up pretty good. Performance was stellar as you stated but I personally can't say I was over the moon with the scent. 

Me TOO.
And I cannot get over it, even if I tried!

This spicing up of scents happening with CB IMO is quite problematic. It is going on with many scents, and you are not told about it on the label.
I think LVO (green orange) has it too.       It´s a  lottery.
The aftershave tonic I bought with my 420 also is "spiced up". I think. Edit: same problems with the soap.
 Of course I love these guys, TIKI (Landlocked soap) as well as CB Soaps but they need to improve that-

21 1,175
 02-26-2015, 11:52 AM
  • pb56
  • New York
User Info
I have exactly the same irritation problem with LPV! Its too bad because I love the scent. Fortunately, I have no issue with Catie's Bubbles Tonsorial. I don't like the scent nearly as much, but at least I get to enjoy the great Catie's Bubbles performance.

44 181
 02-27-2015, 05:28 AM
User Info
Funny, I really enjoy the unique, quasi medicinal scent of the Tonsorial Parlour. Terrific formula of soap. I have zero issues with it on my face; none with the Mile High Menthol either. These forays into one-of-a-kind scents by the artisan soap makers create a real a crap-shoot regarding how they will react on the skin. I would venture to say that there's not a lot of testing (on human skin) before the product goes to market. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

39 3,950
 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM
User Info
some lucky folks just wait and wait and get very lucky on b/s/t/

76 1,331
 02-27-2015, 12:24 PM
User Info
(02-26-2015, 09:18 AM)primotenore Wrote:

Yes, cinnamon in oil form can be an irritant for some of us and actually cause contact dermatitis . Although in powder form it can be an antiseptic. I am sure there's a lot of references.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-car...r-skin.htm

0 113
 03-01-2015, 03:27 AM
User Info
Sent an email to Chris @ Caties bubbles.
I have to find out what gives me the problems, and also, lokking forward to the soaps that fit me. Had Knee high to a grape this morning and it was awesome...
update: the 4 spices in the mix are  cinnamon, clove,

ginger, and nutmeg.
With QCV and green orange, as in my case, it would rather be Coumarin or Oakmoss
Thanks Chris for your quick answer!

Philipp

21 1,175
 03-01-2015, 04:43 AM
User Info
I really liked the scent and wished I could use it. Alas I get the burning as well. Menthol doesn't bother me, in fact I put crystals in some AS splashes. I guess I can't take the cinnamon or clove type ingredients like others.

11 230
 03-01-2015, 10:02 AM
User Info
Cinnamon burns me too. The 3 that stand out and taught me this lesson were Mystic Waters Indian Summer and the M&P Ciderhouse 5, and Pumkin 3.14. While I adored the scents, they made my face sizzle. So now as I shop I know ahead of time not to buy anything that may be rely on cinnamon scent as I will have a pre-meditated emotional let-down, and I dont like that.

Having used both LPV and QCV I have yet to feel anything more than the scritch of my brush. I do see that cinnamon is listed as an ingredient in the LPV on Chris' site so in a way I may have taken a gamble getting it. 

I used to be of the thought that some of these warm cinnamon type LE scents were a winter time occasion to use them, so I thought that the winter time environmental factors may seem to make these cinnamon type scents burn us more. (ie wind-burn, chapped face, due to winter environment) Then I pulled out the MW and HTGAM during the summer and they still burned. So that ruled out that theory. At least for me and cinnamon. It may apply to other men though. 

It may be that guys are reacting to the clove in the LPV. Looking at the ingredient list I see clove is listed before cinnamon so maybe adverse reaction is due to that? Thankfully I dont react to clove either. I would be lost without my VIBR.

8 169