02-26-2015, 08:26 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
The Simpson Tulip 4 in super badger is a fabulous brush, but somehow it fails to grab my heart. Also, the handle is a wee bit uncomfortable for me. The "4" is the biggest of the Tulip series, with a 25mm knot matched with a 54mm loft. Good backbone, dense knot and soft tips combine for a great lather machine whether you face or bowl lather. I bought the brush recently, but have not used it much. The price is $185 shipped U.S. Paypal is fine; no trades, please. Thanks.

[Image: dgRJFKL.jpg][Image: teJy3dR.jpg][Image: 8VQ1VFd.jpg]

153 3,129
 02-27-2015, 05:05 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Never had the pleasure of using a T4, but I just used my T3 Super this morning and it is a superb brush - Very ergonomic handle and densely packed knot. GLWTS, Obie!

26 4,952
 02-27-2015, 05:19 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
David,
Right you are, it is a great brush. The big handle on the T4, although ergonomic, is a wee bit too overwhelming for my small hands. The knot is glorious. 
Stay well,
Obie

153 3,129
 02-27-2015, 11:22 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(02-27-2015, 05:19 AM)Obie Wrote: David,
Right you are, it is a great brush. The big handle on the T4, although ergonomic, is a wee bit too overwhelming for my small hands. The knot is glorious. 
Stay well,
Obie

I am so tempted. I really like buying your brushes. I have never been disappointed.However, I too have a small face and hands wit an arthritic thumb. This brush might be more than I can handle as well. Barry

70 1,098
 02-27-2015, 11:32 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Barry,
Thank you for the kind words.
Yes, it is a big handle, although ergonomic. Still, my severe arthritis is drives me away from the brush, and all my other big brushes and toward the smaller and lighter ones. Also, I have started using the double edge more, because using the straight razor all the time take a toll on my hands, especially since there is stropping involved. My case is severe, of course.
Stay well, my dear friend.
Obie

153 3,129
 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(02-27-2015, 11:32 AM)Obie Wrote: Barry,
Thank you for the kind words.
Yes, it is a big handle, although ergonomic. Still, my severe arthritis is drives me away from the brush, and all my other big brushes and toward the smaller and lighter ones. Also, I have started using the double edge more, because using the straight razor all the time take a toll on my hands, especially since there is stropping involved. My case is severe, of course.
Stay well, my dear friend.
Obie

Obie I have moved away from DE because of my thumb as well. I find the best for me To be a Mongoose with a unweighted wooden handle made by Brad Sears. The weight and heft is perfect. I can make a 3 pass shave with no pain. On a real bad day a 2 pass shave works well. I think I might get a Tulip 3 in the near future.
[Image: X9EeMxc.jpg]

70 1,098
 02-27-2015, 12:10 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Barry,

Yes, the Brad Sears wood handle is a good idea. I have a Muhle R89 with the faux ivory handle that is perfectly light for my hands. On the other hand, my new Weber polished sits unused — I think I've used it once — because of its weight. I am thinking of selling it. I am thinking about a Mongoose with a light handle.

Even my Chubby 2 in super badger — I have stopped using it I think after four shaves — feels heavy and unwieldy in my hands. I'm thinking of selling it, too, because I hate having these products sit around unused — they keep making faces at me. 

For brushes in general, I have switched to 24mm knots that suddenly feel perfect for me in weight and size. Also, two Plisson synthetic, two Edwin Jagger V2 synthetic and a Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic brushes seem ideal. 

Thus far none of this hampers writing with my lovely fountain pens.

153 3,129
 02-27-2015, 01:56 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
The Tulip 4 in super is sold. Thank you for the kind remarks.
Obie

153 3,129