02-27-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
   Hello all, I purchased a Waterman fountain cartridge pen about 20 years ago and basically used it for signing checks and such. Since reading posts here, I have gotten a Lamy Safari and a bottle of Noodlers Liberty's Elysium. Well, since then I have really been enjoying writing. I also got some Clairefontaine pads and am practicing my penmanship daily. I think the Safari writes smoother and sits in my hand more comfortably than my Waterman. It came with a broad nib, which is nice, but, I also got a med nib and that seems to write very nicely. It's actually enjoyable to sit down and write a letter instead of email.
   Now there are more inks and pens to try. I was thinking of getting another pen and I came across the TWSBI 580. How is this compared to the Safari? Or, I was thinking about another Safari with the 1.1 italic nib to gussy up my writing. Any advice from you experienced hands out there will be appreciated!
   Thanks to all of you here for rekindling my enthusiasm for using a fountain pen for everything. 
   I've figured it out. Since coming to TSN, I am now well groomed, clean shaven, and now becoming well written. It's a conspiracy to turn me into a proper Gentleman! I love it Biggrin

2 226
 02-27-2015, 02:00 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I have a Safari and TWSBI Mini, both with fine nibs.  I find the Safari to be the smoother and wetter of the two pens when writing but I like the TWSBI better overall.

4 194
 02-27-2015, 02:43 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have a lot of pens, including three Safaris and a couple of AL-Stars, and they are fabulous writers (especially for the price). The 1.1 nib is my favorite. The triangular barrel fits my hand/writing style very well.

I had a TWSBI 540. It was a good writer, but there were problems with the plastic cracking. They solved the problem, but I had some "issues" with their customer service. They made good on it, I sold the pen, and won't patronize them again--but, to be fair, a lot of people love their pens, so YMMV  Wink 

There are so many options out there that it's as deep a hole as shaving.

60 843
 02-27-2015, 03:51 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(02-27-2015, 02:43 PM)greyhawk Wrote: I have a lot of pens, including three Safaris and a couple of AL-Stars, and they are fabulous writers (especially for the price). The 1.1 nib is my favorite. The triangular barrel fits my hand/writing style very well.

I had a TWSBI 540. It was a good writer, but there were problems with the plastic cracking. They solved the problem, but I had some "issues" with their customer service. They made good on it, I sold the pen, and won't patronize them again--but, to be fair, a lot of people love their pens, so YMMV  Wink 

There are so many options out there that it's as deep a hole as shaving.

Interestingly, I have found TWSBI's customer service the best and they have taken care of one or two issues for me both promptly and in a very friendly manner.  I have the TWSBI 540 (and have had no issues with it), the Mini, and the Vac700.  All have either fine or extra fine nibs on them.  I also have a Lamy Vista, which is the demonstrator model of the Safari, also with a fine nib and I much prefer my TWSBIs to the Lamy.  As in shaving, what works for one won't work for another.   

It's great that you have rediscovered the joys of fountain pens and writing with them.  Enjoy whatever model(s) you choose to get in the future. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
   Freddy, Why do you prefer the TWSBI to the Lamy?

2 226
 02-27-2015, 04:31 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Charlie, I find it a smoother writer, though the Lamy is not bad, and I also find the TWSBIs more comfortable to write with.  Keep in mind that these are just personal opinions and others may feel very differently.  There is no right or wrong here but, rather, what works for you. Both brands of pens are well respected so it really does come down to personal choice. It's too bad that you cannot test the pens before you buy them.

2 11,211
 02-27-2015, 04:49 PM
User Info
   Thanks freddy. I guess unless you you go to a pen fair you can't compare. Just wanted your input. I got my son a Pilot Varsity, and, he wants to use it for everything! Including his math schoolwork!LOL But, it has made his cursive much, much better using that pen. He has just informed me that he wants a pen like mine, Safari, but with red ink. Guess I know what I'll be ordering for him. I'll let him choose the red ink he wants. Thanks freddy.

Oh, he's 8 years old.

2 226
 02-27-2015, 09:39 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(02-27-2015, 04:49 PM)Charlie NEPA Wrote:    Thanks freddy. I guess unless you you go to a pen fair you can't compare. Just wanted your input. I got my son a Pilot Varsity, and, he wants to use it for everything! Including his math schoolwork!LOL But, it has made his cursive much, much better using that pen. He has just informed me that he wants a pen like mine, Safari, but with red ink. Guess I know what I'll be ordering for him. I'll let him choose the red ink he wants. Thanks freddy.

Oh, he's 8 years old.

That's great about your son!  There are lots of fun inks out there.  For me, the purest red is Sheaffer Red but there are so many others.  Have him look at the Goulet Pen Co. website and focus on the color he would like.  For example: http://www.gouletpens.com/bottled-ink/c/...olor%3ARed

By the way, you are the second person who has told me that his young son's penmanship has improved by using a fountain pen.  As a retired primary school teacher, I really get upset when I hear that many school districts no longer include handwriting in their curricula. It is so important.  Thank you for encouraging your son as it can only benefit his education. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 02-27-2015, 10:38 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-27-2015, 03:51 PM)freddy Wrote: Interestingly, I have found TWSBI's customer service the best and they have taken care of one or two issues for me both promptly and in a very friendly manner.  I have the TWSBI 540 (and have had no issues with it), the Mini, and the Vac700.  All have either fine or extra fine nibs on them.  I also have a Lamy Vista, which is the demonstrator model of the Safari, also with a fine nib and I much prefer my TWSBIs to the Lamy.  As in shaving, what works for one won't work for another.   

It's great that you have rediscovered the joys of fountain pens and writing with them.  Enjoy whatever model(s) you choose to get in the future. Thumbsup

Freddy, of my 5 Safari/AL-Stars, I have two mediums, two 1.1 italics, and one fine nib. The fine is definitely the scratchiest of the nibs (and my least favorite), while the 1.1 italics write the smoothest. But, I do like thicker nibs as a rule.

The cracking issue with the 540 was with the barrel and was quite common after they first came out, but as I said, they came up with a fix. And, based on what I've read, my experience with customer service was an anomaly. So I wouldn't caution against getting a TWSBI because of my one experience. I've read quite a few other people say they had good experiences.

It's a fun hobby, that's for sure. I have more pens and more ink than I'll use in my lifetime (kind of like blades and soap, right?)   Rolleyes

60 843
 02-28-2015, 06:02 AM
User Info
   I think I'll get one of each and have him look at and choose a red he likes.  Yeah, I can't believe that they are going away from teaching handwriting in a lot of schools. I mean everyone will just print their names? So sad. Thanks again for the advice guys.

2 226
 02-28-2015, 10:19 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(02-27-2015, 10:38 PM)greyhawk Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 03:51 PM)freddy Wrote: Interestingly, I have found TWSBI's customer service the best and they have taken care of one or two issues for me both promptly and in a very friendly manner.  I have the TWSBI 540 (and have had no issues with it), the Mini, and the Vac700.  All have either fine or extra fine nibs on them.  I also have a Lamy Vista, which is the demonstrator model of the Safari, also with a fine nib and I much prefer my TWSBIs to the Lamy.  As in shaving, what works for one won't work for another.   

Freddy, of my 5 Safari/AL-Stars, I have two mediums, two 1.1 italics, and one fine nib. The fine is definitely the scratchiest of the nibs (and my least favorite), while the 1.1 italics write the smoothest. But, I do like thicker nibs as a rule.

The cracking issue with the 540 was with the barrel and was quite common after they first came out, but as I said, they came up with a fix. And, based on what I've read, my experience with customer service was an anomaly. So I wouldn't caution against getting a TWSBI because of my one experience. I've read quite a few other people say they had good experiences.

It's a fun hobby, that's for sure. I have more pens and more ink than I'll use in my lifetime (kind of like blades and soap, right?)   Rolleyes

I agree with everything you have written here but your last comment had me laughing out loud because it is sooooooo true! 24

2 11,211
 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
Can't go wrong with a TWSBI, especially now that the ECO is out and less than $30.

0 47