02-27-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
To those of you who own replated razors and have been using them for a while, how have they been holding up?  Nickel in particular.  I'm thinking that Gillette's original plating was superior.  It isn't necessary to name the vendor that performed the service,  I'm just curious about any issues such as flaking/peeling or surface imperfections that were not there when you sent the razor in for the work.

1 220
 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
I've had several razors replated with Nickel (also, Gold and Rhodium) and have not had any problems with any of them.  Best source, in my opinion, is Chris E. at razorplate.com.  Superb service and highest quality work.  

3 74
 02-27-2015, 07:38 PM
User Info
My oldest is an Old Type polished and plated by BRW about 5 years ago. I also have used a plated LC New from razor emporium for the last few years. I have had no issues with any of,my replated razors.

18 586
 02-27-2015, 09:26 PM
User Info
Even though OP asked about nickel finishes, I'd be curious to hear about the durability of modern gold replates. I know gold plating is a lot softer than nickel, so it's going to be a little less durable. However, will it hold up better than the original Gillette gold finishes? I have a Gillette Executive that I'd like to have replated to match the original gold finish. Is it going to wear any better than the original gold plating?

3 92
 02-27-2015, 10:30 PM
User Info
(02-27-2015, 07:38 PM)PanChango Wrote: My oldest is an Old Type polished and plated by BRW about 5 years ago. I also have used a plated LC New from razor emporium for the last few years. I have had no issues with any of,my replated razors.

I thought BRW just sent the heads out for replating. Anyway - I have a NEW head (purchased from him) and a New Deluxe head (sent to him) that were replated and both are in great shape. I will in ~five years be able to give a report on Chris @ RazorPlate's quality, I just need to get the Aristocrat Jr back first Biggrin

12 1,247
 02-28-2015, 07:03 AM
  • gagarin
  • Student of Stainless
  • Pelotillehue
User Info
I have some replated heads from BRW, and visited Bob several times at his shop over the years.  As I recall, he said that the replates were a bit thicker and more durable than the original Gillette plating.

1 92
 02-28-2015, 06:40 PM
User Info
(02-27-2015, 10:30 PM)insomniac Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 07:38 PM)PanChango Wrote: My oldest is an Old Type polished and plated by BRW about 5 years ago. I also have used a plated LC New from razor emporium for the last few years. I have had no issues with any of,my replated razors.

I thought BRW just sent the heads out for replating. Anyway - I have a NEW head (purchased from him) and a New Deluxe head (sent to him) that were replated and both are in great shape. I will in ~five years be able to give a report on Chris @ RazorPlate's quality, I just need to get the Aristocrat Jr back first Biggrin

Yes he did send them and the handles out to be plated.  No idea where they were done, but they are holding up well.  I just received a couple back from Chris at razorplate and they look very nice.  I expect them to hold up well also.

18 586
 02-28-2015, 08:58 PM
User Info
Just curious...what does BRW stand for?

I have been thinking about sending Grandpa's Gillette out to be replated and there don't seem to be many choices.

6 122