06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Hello Gentlemen,

I just wanted to tell you about my first experience with the Gillette Fatboy Razor. I had received it about two months ago and had it sitting on my bathroom counter in awe. Yesterday night I decided to prep it and get it ready for use. I cleaned it using soap, scrubbing bubbles and barbicide. This morning I woke up, the sun was shining so I said to myself lets take out the big gun, the Fatboy. I picked it up, loaded a fresh "Shark" blade, applied the pre-shave oil, lathered up with TOBS Lavender shave cream and then started shaving. Immediately I could tell that this was going to be an incredible shave. First off, the machine itself is perfectly balanced, gliding across my face without any force or friction and given its girth it is well placed for maneuverability in the hands of the average male. As I proceeded to shave with short smooth strokes, the blade was cutting the hair like a charm; a fact evidenced by that crisp, rustling sound made as the blade glides over the skin slicing off the hair. You know that sound, that lets us know we are getting a close, smooth shave. By the way, being someone who likes somewhat of an aggressive shave I had the Fatboy at number seven on the dial. I proceeded with my usual three passes and the end result was a smooth, baby soft shave, with absolutely no skin irritation whatsoever. The only drawback with the razor is the thickness of the head which makes it slightly more difficult to shave underneath and around the nose and upper lip area. However I figured a way around that issue. I hold the razor with the head pointing downwards and proceed to shave around the nose/lip area by starting from the point I want to shave and working my way upwards, against the grain, towards the nose. Works great. In reiteration, I really recommend this razor for newbies, given that it is adjustable it can accommodate the skill level of a beginner and expert alike. It is a razor that you can keep for life. I recommend shopping and scouting around for a deal. Often the Fatboys are overpriced on ebay; it seems everyone is in a bidding frenzy and wants to get one at all costs. Be patient good razors are still out there for about fifty (50) dollars US. I would love to hear comments and experiences of others with the Gillette Fatboy. Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Sam, well done and thanks for the nice write up! I haven't shaved with a Fatboy in some time but it's a fine shaver indeed. Might have to dust mine off soon. Cool

35 2,703
 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
User Info
I agree with Billy, well done.

When you pick up a fatboy, you know immediately that you're holding a serious piece of shave engineering.

I too like the Shark (stainless) blade in the Fatboy. Additionally the Red Pack Personna, Voskhods and both Astra blades work fantastically.

3 452
 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thank you for sharing your epirence. I will be getting a Fatboy shortly from my father as a gift. I'm very excited to get it I have never had one. It will be a 1957 in mint condition.

45 3,955
 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
If you have some issues with the head thickness, Gillette stopped making the 195 "Fat Boy" for that reason. They turned right around and came out with "The Slim!" The slim head makes it easier to go into more restrictive spaces.

1 2,827
 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
User Info
Nice write-up, Sam and continued good use from the Fatboy.

75 20,883
 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I enjoyed your experiences with the fatboy too, but we must have pics!

91 17,823
 06-08-2012, 03:24 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great write-up and thank you for sharing your experiences.

I have a Fat Boy, it does have a very distinct personality. I do enjoy the way it shaves now after learning how to.

1 3,507
 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 05:34 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: If you have some issues with the head thickness, Gillette stopped making the 195 "Fat Boy" for that reason. They turned right around and came out with "The Slim!" The slim head makes it easier to go into more restrictive spaces.

The Fatboy is fun to use but the Slim fit's easier under the nose.

Clayton

6 617
 06-08-2012, 01:06 PM
User Info
Favorite blade in a fatboy - gillette navy blue

4 309
 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
This is one I've been wanting to try for a long time. Every time I see a member put one up for sale, they tend to go very quickly. Some day....

1 265
 06-08-2012, 10:48 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
You can find them on the bay easily enough, but they usually sell for an over inflated price...

91 17,823
 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM
User Info
One of the most recognizable and sought after razors for a reason. They weren't made for all that long, built like a tank, and work wonderfully. Had my '59 re-plated in Rhodium. It's a great razor. But lately I have been using my new to me President.

2 805
 06-08-2012, 11:32 PM
User Info
I've always liked my shaves with the Fatboy, so I understand why you were so impressed. It is indeed a lovely razor that's phenomenally well-engineered.

There are adjustables that I like better - the Slim, Progress, etc. (for the reasons already stated), but there is a certain mystique about the Fatboy.

Enjoy your shaves with it.

37 1,731
 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM
User Info
Nice review! I will getting my 1960 fatboy soon. Can't wait to get it..

0 6
 08-31-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
Sam,

Shaved with the Fatboy today and I am never disappointed with the results.  I have a few newer razors but always seem to go back to the classics.

BTW - Absolutely love Montreal.  Been there more than 10 times for the F1 race and several times with my wife and a couple of times for work.  I enjoy just walking around taking photos, especially the old port area.

3 426
 08-31-2015, 10:54 AM
User Info
Just used my f2 this morning find myself using this and my slim almost exclusively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 593
 08-31-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
Fine review, and good luck with the fatboy.  I used that razor for many years, with excellent results.  I second the suggestion to consider the later, thin version, of this superb adjustable:  it is just a bit easier to handle, and just as effective for shaving.

Suggestion:  try a collection of different blades, including at least one from the Gillette St. Petersburg factory (Silver Blue, Polsilver Super Iridium, or original Super Iridium).   I found all of them a magical match for the fatboy.

2 150
 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM
User Info
[Image: dr1rt6r.jpg]The Fatboy is an awesome old school Gillette.

61 3,796