02-28-2015, 12:53 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
This was my fourth annual visit to the L.A. Pen Show and I had a great time while also spending way too much money. Biggrin

Here are some things I received either as show giveaways or that I purchased.

[Image: Y7mT5ZX.jpg]
The shopping bag and MonteVerde blue ink were two of the freebies given at the door.  There were other things given, as well.  Each year, MonteVerde gives away a free bottle of ink but this is the first year that I can remember leaking problems with them.  At the door, where the goody bag was being given to people going in, I noticed that a representative for MonteVerde had to throw away at least three of the bags because of the leaking bottles of ink.  Something tells me that MonteVerde's supplier got an earful after the show.

[Image: sr0MQEm.jpg]
This Conklin Crescent fill with a flexible nib represents the most I have ever paid for a pen.  I almost didn't get it because of the price.  The pen itself is probably close to 100 years old and I do not believe the clip is original.  However, I was immediately taken with how I was able to write with it.  It was the most successful flex writing experience I have ever had. It is a 25P model, one of Conklin's smallest.

[Image: 9yBO8yr.jpg]
This is a modern flexible nib pen.  I have not really put it through its paces yet but the little I used it at the pen show I enjoyed.  While not nearly as intricate in design or pattern, it was also less than 1/6th the cost of the Conklin.

[Image: zNIaajM.jpg]
I am a big fan of the Esterbrook Dollar and J-series pens and own several.  For some reason, this red SJ (Short J-series) seemed to call to me.  It has an Esterbrook 9556 (Firm Fine) nib and I prefer smooth writing fine nibs to regular medium or broad (as opposed to italic) nibs.

[Image: EqbNqtr.jpg]
The three inks I came home with are basic colors, as opposed to the fun colors I have been gravitating to lately.  The reason for the Parker Quink Black was that is what was in the Conklin when I tested it.  I liked the flow and the color and haven't owned a bottle of Quink since I was a teenager, which is more years ago than I want to think about. Winky The Scribes' Inks Black was on sale at a very reasonable price so I thought I'd give it a go.  However, because it is an artisan ink, I shall be testing it with an inexpensive fountain pen.  See here for a discussion: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/...ibes-inks/.  As mentioned above, the MonteVerde Blue was the give away at the show.  I was fortunate that my bottle did not leak at all.

[Image: pAy0MI4.jpg]
Here is part of a writing sample I did at the show, using the Conklin. It is this that sold me on the pen.

2 11,211
 02-28-2015, 04:23 PM
User Info
   Lovely freddy. I'm intrigued by the flexible nib though. I missed the Philadelphia show but I will be there next year.

2 226
 02-28-2015, 04:32 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(02-28-2015, 04:23 PM)Charlie NEPA Wrote:    Lovely freddy. I'm intrigued by the flexible nib though. I missed the Philadelphia show but I will be there next year.

Charlie, the Philadelphia show was the first one I ever went to, about four years ago, and it is a good one.  By all means go if you have the opportunity.

Flexible nibs seem to be having a resurgence in popularity.  I have been intrigued by them for a long time and there were more on display and discussed this year than at any other time I have been to a pen show.

2 11,211
 02-28-2015, 04:59 PM
User Info
  Yeah, I can't wait for next years show. I'm gonna clear my calendar and bring the credit card. At least you can get the pen in hand and see how it performs. Hands on, I like that. I am really enjoying using the fountain pens again. I just ordered the DeArementis Poppy Red and Lamy Vista for my son, his choices from Goulet pen. Of course there will be enough ink for both of us. Tongue

2 226
 02-28-2015, 05:17 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
The DeArementis Poppy Red seems to get great reviews and the Lamy Vista is a classic.  I own one and prefer it to the other Safaris, which the Vista is, because I love being able to see right through it.  (I'm just a kid at heart, I guess. Biggrin )

2 11,211
 03-01-2015, 05:12 AM
User Info
Freddy,
I have been waiting for this post since you casually mentioned on the "Print Font Recommendations" that you had been to the LA Pen Show.

Nice trip report. And I love the Conklin Crescent you obtained. Beautiful and timeless. Though I think you give the pen to much credit for your beautiful penmanship. The sample from the show you posted looks great but to me ALL of your handwriting does.

Will be waiting to see your thoughts on the Desiderata. Their web site is odd. Home page with no info unless I subscribe. But a google search let me in. They remind me of Tradere or Weber with a consistently low inventory. I guess all start ups face that and a good problem to have as opposed to too much inventory. Anyway your review will be informative.

Looks like a great trip. Thanks.

Phil

7 363
 03-04-2015, 09:36 AM
User Info
This is cool Freddy! I've been interested in re structuring my penmanship this past year, but haven't given it a go. I plan on doing so soon.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-04-2015, 12:40 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(03-04-2015, 09:36 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: This is cool Freddy!  I've been interested in re structuring my penmanship this past year, but haven't given it a go. I plan on doing so soon.

Bryan, like so much, it's a matter of practice.  By the way, I like your term "re structure" as I feel I am constantly doing that. Smile

2 11,211
 03-04-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
(02-28-2015, 05:17 PM)freddy Wrote: The DeArementis Poppy Red seems to get great reviews and the Lamy Vista is a classic.  I own one and prefer it to the other Safaris, which the Vista is, because I love being able to see right through it.  (I'm just a kid at heart, I guess. Biggrin )

Freddy, hopefully all of us are!

2 226
 03-04-2015, 01:51 PM
User Info
(03-04-2015, 12:40 PM)freddy Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 09:36 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: This is cool Freddy!  I've been interested in re structuring my penmanship this past year, but haven't given it a go. I plan on doing so soon.

Bryan, like so much, it's a matter of practice.  By the way, I like your term "re structure" as I feel I am constantly doing that.
You're right! And i need to start soon. The next time i go to my local antique store to look for razors, I'll pick up am old set of pens and ink. They have a lot of things like that up here.

1 1,975
 03-04-2015, 02:33 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Phil, here is a writing sample using the Desiderata with the sample of Diamine 150th Anniversary Terracotta Ink that Mary Lou and you sent me.  The Desiderata basically uses a dip pen nib with a feed on a fountain pen body. I find it easier to use than a dip pen but it writes very wet.

[Image: UnrdON9.jpg]

2 11,211
 03-06-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
(03-04-2015, 02:33 PM)freddy Wrote: Phil, here is a writing sample using the Desiderata with the sample of Diamine 150th Anniversary Terracotta Ink that Mary Lou and you sent me.  The Desiderata basically uses a dip pen nib with a feed on a fountain pen body. I find it easier to use than a dip pen but it writes very wet.

freddy,
Beautiful handwriting as always.  How do you compare this to the 25P? The word "Westgate" in your original post looks like the 25P writes a touch smoother or cleaner.

Phil

7 363
 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(03-06-2015, 05:57 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 02:33 PM)freddy Wrote: Phil, here is a writing sample using the Desiderata with the sample of Diamine 150th Anniversary Terracotta Ink that Mary Lou and you sent me.  The Desiderata basically uses a dip pen nib with a feed on a fountain pen body. I find it easier to use than a dip pen but it writes very wet.

freddy,
Beautiful handwriting as always.  How do you compare this to the 25P? The word "Westgate" in your original post looks like the 25P writes a touch smoother or cleaner.

Phil

That would be a pretty accurate assessment, Phil.  I continue to practice with the Desiderata and am quite enjoying it.  However, if I could only have one, the Desiderata or the Conklin 25P with the original nibs that came on them, it would be one of the 25Ps.

2 11,211