Shavemac 2-band silvertip
53.85% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 02-28-2015, 07:14 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I've read such good things about Wiborg's white badger and Shavemac's 2-band silvertip that I cannot decide which way to go.  If any of you have some insights or experience with these please chime in.

Remember, I am interested in Shavemac 2-band silvertip, not the D0-1 2-band.

Thanks for your input.

1 796
 02-28-2015, 07:50 PM
User Info
I've had both. I prefer Wiborg white

61 3,072
 02-28-2015, 08:17 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Very nice.  Thank you.

1 796
 02-28-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
I have a wiborg finest and shavemac silvertip and both are great. Hard to say which is better. I think you will be happy with either you pick

0 98
 02-28-2015, 08:49 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I also have both...It's a tough call Confused

Both are soft, but the Wiborg White Badger is definitely softer.  Both are about the same density.  I think the Shavemac hairs are slightly more resilient, so I can almost feel each hair, whereas the Wiborg less so.  You honestly can't go wrong with either.  If I had to choose right now, I'd probably pick Wiborg just because of the added softness. 

34 1,627
 02-28-2015, 09:43 PM
User Info
love both  pick the wiborg for a little exclusiveness

76 1,331
 02-28-2015, 11:10 PM
User Info
I have not tried the Wiborg White Badger, but I have a Shavemac 28mm Silvertip 2-Band and it is very soft and decadent. I can't imagine the Wiborg being softer which would be too soft for me as I like a good scrub in my knots. I find the Shavemac even softer than my M&F 3XL Heritage. 
However, as Giorgio has stated, the hairs in the Shavemac seem quite resilient and strong with very good backbone, but the softest tips I have used, so far. 
Good luck, Ted.  Smile

83 21,109
 03-02-2015, 02:11 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(02-28-2015, 11:10 PM)celestino Wrote: I have not tried the Wiborg White Badger, but I have a Shavemac 28mm Silvertip 2-Band and it is very soft and decadent. I can't imagine the Wiborg being softer which would be too soft for me as I like a good scrub in my knots. I find the Shavemac even softer than my M&F 3XL Heritage. 
However, as Giorgio has stated, the hairs in the Shavemac seem quite resilient and strong with very good backbone, but the softest tips I have used, so far. 
Good luck, Ted.  Smile
Maybe, just maybe, someday soon you will get a chance to try the Wiborg White Badger my friend.  Wink  

14 871
 03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I also have not yet tried the Wiborg brushes, but have found all of the Shavemacs that have been in my possession to be of the highest quality.  One thing with Shavemac is that you know the entire thing is made by hand in Germany, which of course demands a premium.  I'm sure I will order a Wiborg at some point, but right now I view them as a German version of WSP which I have a hard time paying a premium for.

148 2,821
 03-02-2015, 02:59 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(03-02-2015, 02:47 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I also have not yet tried the Wiborg brushes, but have found all of the Shavemacs that have been in my possession to be of the highest quality.  One thing with Shavemac is that you know the entire thing is made by hand in Germany, which of course demands a premium.  I'm sure I will order a Wiborg at some point, but right now I view them as a German version of WSP which I have a hard time paying a premium for.

While I have not tried the new 2 band Shavemac hair yet and I'm not positive where the Wiborg knots are constructed.  The Wiborg White Badger Flagon that I own is probably the nicest brush I have ever tried for any criteria imaginable.  I generally like brushes with much lower density than this because densely constructed knots tend to hog lather too much for me.  This one does not.  It seems to have the a perfect construction to effect enough backbone and density yet not impede the flow at all.  The tips also feel just as soft under use as my Thater 2 band brush but with much, much more backbone.

Interestingly, the tips do not get crunchy like most of my other brushes when it dries.  It stays soft.

While I purchased it second hand on the buy/sell here and paid less than full retail.  Based on it's performance I would have no trouble paying the full price if I ever had to replace it or if something happened to it.  It is easily my current top brush but we'll see what happens once my Paladin Chief gets here...

I would highly recommend this brush to you or anyone else. 

14 871
 03-02-2015, 03:33 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-02-2015, 02:59 PM)Attila Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 02:47 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I also have not yet tried the Wiborg brushes, but have found all of the Shavemacs that have been in my possession to be of the highest quality.  One thing with Shavemac is that you know the entire thing is made by hand in Germany, which of course demands a premium.  I'm sure I will order a Wiborg at some point, but right now I view them as a German version of WSP which I have a hard time paying a premium for.

While I have not tried the new 2 band Shavemac hair yet and I'm not positive where the Wiborg knots are constructed.  The Wiborg White Badger Flagon that I own is probably the nicest brush I have ever tried for any criteria imaginable.  I generally like brushes with much lower density than this because densely constructed knots tend to hog lather too much for me.  This one does not.  It seems to have the a perfect construction to effect enough backbone and density yet not impede the flow at all.  The tips also feel just as soft under use as my Thater 2 band brush but with much, much more backbone.

Interestingly, the tips do not get crunchy like most of my other brushes when it dries.  It stays soft.

While I purchased it second hand on the buy/sell here and paid less than full retail.  Based on it's performance I would have no trouble paying the full price if I ever had to replace it or if something happened to it.  It is easily my current top brush but we'll see what happens once my Paladin Chief gets here...

Hmm, that definitely will carry some weight on my opinion.  Have you had a chance to use one of Gustavo's (Romera) manchurian brushes yet?  

148 2,821
 03-02-2015, 03:41 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(03-02-2015, 03:33 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 02:59 PM)Attila Wrote:

Hmm, that definitely will carry some weight on my opinion.  Have you had a chance to use one of Gustavo's (Romera) manchurian brushes yet?  

Very kind of you Dave.  Thanks!  Unfortunately I have not had the chance to try one of Gustavo's brushes.  Perhaps someday.  I have however, read very good things about them.   

We have a group of friends locally here that are active on the boards (as well as one gentleman from Washington) that meet every few months for our "shave meet ups."  Our next one is scheduled to happen in April, date to be nailed down yet.  You are welcome to come and join us.  I will be bringing my Wiborg at that time and you are more than welcome to try it out then.

14 871
 03-02-2015, 04:46 PM
User Info
You can't go wrong with either knot. I had two Wiborg 2-band Finests and liked them a lot, but the White is even better. On the other hand, the Shavemac silvertip may just be the best 2-band knot ever made. Both are dense knots with soft tips and no scritch., but if I had to choose a "desert island" brush, it would be the Shavemac.

66 693
 03-02-2015, 09:45 PM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 02:11 PM)Attila Wrote: Maybe, just maybe, someday soon you will get a chance to try the Wiborg White Badger my friend.  Wink  

I just got one, today, from a very good friend and I will let you know how I find it. It is a 26x50mm White Badger Jewel. I'll compare this to my Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band 28mm knot and let you know and once I get my knot, permanently set in my handle, then you can use it!   Biggrin

(03-02-2015, 04:46 PM)vocalistbob Wrote: You can't go wrong with either knot. I had two Wiborg 2-band Finests and liked them a lot, but the White is even better. On the other hand, the Shavemac silvertip may just be the best 2-band knot ever made. Both are dense knots with soft tips and no scritch., but if I had to choose a "desert island" brush, it would be the Shavemac.

I can see why you are stating this, Bob, as this hair is truly exceptional! I think it may be as good as Simpsons' 2-Band. 

83 21,109
 03-02-2015, 10:57 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Sounds good my friend! I look forward to hearing your impressions.

14 871
 03-03-2015, 12:24 AM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 09:45 PM)celestino Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 02:11 PM)Attila Wrote: Maybe, just maybe, someday soon you will get a chance to try the Wiborg White Badger my friend.  Wink  

I just got one, today, from a very good friend and I will let you know how I find it. It is a 26x50mm White Badger Jewel. I'll compare this to my Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band 28mm knot and let you know and once I get my knot, permanently set in my handle, then you can use it!   Biggrin

(03-02-2015, 04:46 PM)vocalistbob Wrote: You can't go wrong with either knot. I had two Wiborg 2-band Finests and liked them a lot, but the White is even better. On the other hand, the Shavemac silvertip may just be the best 2-band knot ever made. Both are dense knots with soft tips and no scritch., but if I had to choose a "desert island" brush, it would be the Shavemac.

I can see why you are stating this, Bob, as this hair is truly exceptional! I think it may be as good as Simpsons' 2-Band. 

Hey Celestino , I don't think it's same as simpson 2 band silvertip. At least not the two band LE silvertip I have .

61 3,072
 03-03-2015, 04:08 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I described this in the original shavemac 2 Band thread:

The new shavemac silvertip 2 Band is the perfect combination of soft tips (like Simpson 2 Band) and strong backbone (like Simpson Manchurian) at a fair price.

The knots are medium dense, allowing for good flow through (no Chubby density). Both bulb and fan provide a great face feel. However, personally I prefer a fan with this knot.

The softness of the tips allow for a lower loft, 1.8-2.0:1 is no issue.

Wiborg's white badger is softer at the tips and has less backbone (about the same density). Not a bad thing at all, just different. the white badger is in behavior closer to Simpson 2 Band than the shavemac. I enjoy both. My sweet spot for the Wiborg is 26/50mm fan. I have not tried a bulb though.

Enjoy these glorious knots!

[Image: 0O4jPsR.jpg]

[Image: 7cePspc.jpg]

[Image: Zhhixty.jpg]

39 1,892
 03-03-2015, 09:24 PM
User Info
(03-03-2015, 12:24 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: Hey Celestino , I don't think it's same as simpson 2 band silvertip. At least not the two band LE silvertip I have .

I understand, Mustafa. I am not saying it is the same as Simpsons 2-Band hair, but it is extremely nice, indeed, and much more affordable.  Biggrin

83 21,109
 03-03-2015, 10:50 PM
User Info
(03-03-2015, 09:24 PM)celestino Wrote:
(03-03-2015, 12:24 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: Hey Celestino , I don't think it's same as simpson 2 band silvertip. At least not the two band LE silvertip I have .

I understand, Mustafa. I am not saying it is the same as Simpsons 2-Band hair, but it is extremely nice, indeed, and much more affordable.  Biggrin

+1

61 3,072
 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-03-2015, 09:24 PM)celestino Wrote:

... and available in a fan shape and readily customizable with any handle, knot size and loft you would want.   Cool

148 2,821