02-28-2015, 07:42 PM
User Info
I have a very nice Vie Long horsehair brush and am hesitant to use it. Have read somewhere that lathering with horsehair in the same manner as boars or badgers will result in knots forming in the loft. Any truth to that? If so, how does one properly lather with these brushes? This brush is just too nice to mistreat!

8 72
 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I initially had problems with my Vie Long Horse Hair brushes knotting up when I used a circular motion to lather.  If you use a back and forth brush stroke like you would when painting a wall you shouldn't have any problems.   I've also had fewer problems out of the natural color brushes.  The Horse hair brushes died to imitate badger tend to be prone to knotting.  IMHO, YMMV. 

I have also found that it takes a couple of dozen uses for a Horse Hair to really break in. 

Good luck with the brush.  

3 516
 03-01-2015, 01:11 AM
User Info

What kind of brush do you have btw.?

Love my cheapo horse hair, 

but did not use it much.

21 1,175
 03-01-2015, 05:33 PM
User Info
You wont have any problems getting knots in the loft - you have to just use very little pressure...I find this true with every brush actually, but some love to mash their boars into their face...you shouldn't do that and I find it gives you a poorer lather...

I was recently travelling for 2 1/2 months and my only brush was a Vie-Long 12705B with white hair, no issues at all even when in a hurry to catch a flight Wink

7 884
 03-01-2015, 05:41 PM
User Info
I just use back and forth motions mostly and I don't have any problems I use three different horse hair brushes in my rotation

5 116
 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM
User Info
My horse hair was my first brush. Mine is unfortunately a shedder, but I had issues with it knotting before I figured out not to use too much pressure. I can still use circular motions, but I just have to be careful not to press too hard with it. I wish the loft wasn't so tall, it would have been an excellent brush had the loft been shorter. My particular brush is fairly prickly as well - I have a Vie-Long silvertip as well, and it has just a kiss of prickles, so I imagine it's something inherent to Vie-Long's style?

22 653
 03-02-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
It's not an issue with my Vie Long brushes; neither the unbleached horse nor my mixed horse-badger shows any inclination to knot despite my abuse of them.

Could it be an issue with the high loft horse hair brushess? Both of mine have a 50mm loft.

As an aside; Alfredus... you just made me buy a 12705B - because it looks cool in white and I haven't a 50-50 brush in my rotation.

3 4,374
 03-02-2015, 08:34 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Wow, I had never heard any of this. I've just been ignorantly using my horse hair brushes just like any other brush. I've never had any problems with any of them, including my first one, the Peleon that is reviewed in the Shave the Man video above. For the record, I do use both circular and painting motions, and while I don't jam the brush into my face, I do use enough pressure to splay the brush. In about 3 and 1/2 years, all I've ever done after using them is rinse them, give them a good shake, and hang them up to dry. It's a little odd to be hearing about all this knotting and combing and stuff.

0 272
 03-02-2015, 10:16 PM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 12:34 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: It's not an issue with my Vie Long brushes; neither the unbleached horse nor my mixed horse-badger shows any inclination to knot despite my abuse of them.

Could it be an issue with the high loft horse hair brushess? Both of mine have a 50mm loft.

As an aside; Alfredus... you just made me buy a 12705B - because it looks cool in white and I haven't a 50-50 brush in my rotation.

So I am officially an enabler? That's fantastic news Smile Smile Smile

7 884
 03-03-2015, 04:21 AM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 10:16 PM)alfredus Wrote: So I am officially an enabler? That's fantastic news Smile Smile Smile

Yes  Biggrin

We should have a tag or mark on people profiles for such things  Tongue

3 4,374
 03-03-2015, 11:33 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(03-02-2015, 12:34 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Could it be an issue with the high loft horse hair brushess? Both of mine have a 50mm loft.

Could be. I had a pair of Vie Long naturals (factory loft ~54mm) and despite using a gentle touch, I still saw knots forming in the core of both brushes. Combing them out helps manage things but it gets old really quick.

I figure paintbrush strokes would help reduce the incidence but I prefer a brush that'll cope with my lathering methods. On the other hand, the guy I PIF'd both brushes to seems to love them a lot.

2 286
 03-04-2015, 01:25 AM
User Info
I have 2 Vie-Long Horse hair brushes (the turkish "horse" are pure Boar) but im not satisfied
I call it "grenade effect" and i read some guys refer as "bird's nest" in the centre.
Painting moves are for finish work,i need massage with circular moves and those Horse hair brushes don't do the job.
I have read that in their White Horses that problem has been solved,maybe one day i will buy one to test it.

0 353
 03-04-2015, 03:33 AM
User Info
the two cheap horsehair brushes, model as seen in the video above have irregularities and thin hair. Also, I have them in bulb and fan, but bleached version. I feel these will form a knot  easily.

The more expensive Vie Long I have feels firm, with strong smooth hair.

It depends on what brush you have, nonetheless don't fear wasting your brushes; it is for a good causeWink

21 1,175
 03-11-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
Excellent information here and I truly appreciate all the advise and stories!  I began using my Vie and found it to be a fantastic brush with good backbone and a good bit of softness.  Feels like a combination of a well broken in boar and the same in a pure badger.  The slightest bit of scratch can be felt - just right.  This baby is most definitely in my rotation. 
Biggrin

8 72
 03-11-2015, 07:38 AM
User Info
Interesting thread. What causes horse hair to knot, as opposed to badger and boar?

39 3,882
 03-11-2015, 08:32 AM
User Info
(03-11-2015, 07:38 AM)primotenore Wrote: Interesting thread. What causes horse hair to knot, as opposed to badger and boar?
Yes. I'd love to know as well.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-11-2015, 09:43 AM
User Info
One theory of why Horse hair will knot up more than Badger or Boar is because Horse hair is finer than Badger or Boar.its the same as how a baby's hair is finer than an adults hair, if you notice a baby's hair or young child's hair will tangle easier than an adults. Gentlemans Gazette and best grooming tools have some good articles about different brush hairs. Mantic 59 at sharpologist has a good article also.
George

8 264