02-28-2015, 10:36 PM
User Info
Pretty new to DE shaving and decided to take the plunge and get two sampler packs from Maggards. Went with the TOBS shaving creme sampler and Maggard's very own soap sampler. Looking forward to trying the different types and scents. Does anyone have any favorites out of these two lines or suggestions on what I should consider next?

0 27
 02-28-2015, 10:39 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Welcome to the club. Everyone has one or two ADs. Biggrin  Its part of the fun!

28 1,620
 02-28-2015, 11:02 PM
User Info
I have never tried Maggards, or TOBS cream, but I would highly suggest most of the artisanal soaps. 
Good luck and have fun!  Thumbup

82 21,056
 03-01-2015, 01:27 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Trying new soaps and creams is part of the enjoyment of DE shaving.

2 479
 03-01-2015, 03:50 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Eton, St James, St Jermyn for ToB

Lime, orange menthol, London barber for Maggards 

7 442
 03-01-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
Your down the rabbit hole now!

9 137
 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Haha! Yeah hopefully saving money was not what you expected ;-)
But a lifetime of fun.

57 2,552
 03-01-2015, 07:41 AM
  • pb56
  • New York
User Info
Eton College is my all-time favorite TOBS scent. I've tried a couple of Maggard's soaps which performed beautifully, but unfortunately gave me irritation. There's lot's of great stuff out there these days. You never know until you try!

43 175
 03-01-2015, 02:45 PM
User Info
Now you will discover how expensive this hobby REALLY is............

It's not about saving money, it's about speding more money than you ever thought possible.........on shaving gear  Angel  Biggrin

I started out in 2011 expecting to maybe have 5-6 favorite shaving creams in my den........now I own 60-70 shaving soaps and 80-90 shaving creams.
My problem now is how to use all my creams up before they turn.......

24 5,843
 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
Welcome :d

Eton college is a great scent indeed. If you really want to dive into this, get essential oils and some unscented soaps. Make your own soaps and matching aftershaves.
Wink

21 1,175
 03-01-2015, 05:38 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm looking forward to learning more as I build up my shave den inventory Smile

0 27
 03-02-2015, 10:47 AM
User Info
I really like the scent of TOB grapefruit, and does everyone else in the house, my daughter always wants to hang out with me when ever I use it. But there are so many other soaps/creams out there, my current favorites are HTGAM the beach, and some tiki bar soaps all of which for me have even better slickness and post shave feel. The need to try them all leads to this well documented SAD which afflicts many of us.

4 105
 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
Now that is a prime example how this hobby works. I have all TOBS creams except Grapefruit (and Rose), and now I will get this one as well....Biggrin

21 1,175
 03-02-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
Just received my latest order from Stirling Soap. Went with the Sharp Dressed Man soap, balm and AS.

0 27
 03-02-2015, 07:26 PM
User Info
I forgot to suggest you some TOBS creams.

I own 8 or 10 TOBS creams and 2 soaps.

I can recommend them all.
They are not among Top 25 in my den, but since I own 50+ soaps/creams I still would rate TOBS in my Top 100 for performance.

My favorite TOBS soaps (Own both)

Jermyn Street - great forugere scent, similar to the cream
Sandalwood - this sandalwood scent is far better than the Sandalwood scent you find in the cream

My favorite TOBS creams (own them all in full pots)

Jermyn Street - excellent fresh forugere scent, very nice performance too
Grapefruit - excellent take on natural grapefruit. Fantastic for spring and summer.
Coconut - I thought I had enough Coconut with my GFT Coconut, but thie TOBS gives you a more balanced and smoother take on coconut. Excellent performance too
Peppermint - just a great fresh nice performer for the summer months. After selling my kent cream, I missed a real Peppermint bomb. This is great stuff
Eton College
St. James
Avocado - great perfomer, a little bit of weird grassy thick creamy scent
Sandalwood - many loves this. I also like it, but the scent is NOT sandalwood, more of a mix of scents with a medicinal vibe to it.
Mr. Taylor - embarrassingly enough I can't remember how this performs, but I own a full pot of it   Blush

24 5,843
 03-03-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
I picked up a TOBs sample set when I started out real shaving to try a bunch of different scents to see what I liked.  

> Coconut - yes, great! All gone quickly
> Avocado - it doesn't smell like avocado to me so that threw me off initially. It has a light floral scent which I eventually learned to appreciate
> Lavender - weird. Smelled just like dry wall spackle to me, artificial. It has a cool color though
> Sandalwood - I got this because there was so much raving about sandalwood but alas, I am not a fan of that scent
> Grapefruit - the best sample I got, went and bought a full tub
> Lemon-lime - For me, meh.. not offensive in any way just didn't do it for me.

A sampler is a great way find out what you like before you take the plunge on full sized tubs.

4 105
 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
  • fwp3
User Info
I love the sandalwood, Mr. Taylors, and Eton College from TOBS. Be careful or oon you will be hundreds of dollars poorer and have a cabinet full of soaps like I do  Biggrin

1 14