06-06-2012, 03:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Gillette Guard - Review

I received one of the Gillette Guard razors as a gift with the stipulation that I would post my findings.

First, here is what the good folks in India have to say about it.

Now, here is my review:

First off, it’s CHEAP, both in price and quality.

It is made of very lightweight plastic and really feels very flimsy. You attach the blade by squeezing the handle together and inserting the blade in to the notches.

If you apply too much pressure, the blade pops out of the notches and falls in to the sink.

Did I mention it’s CHEAP?

Now trust me, I’m not the new kid on the block and I’ve shaved a few times in my day. For the first time in my life, I used four passes to shave, and still had stubble in places.

This might be a good razor for a camping trip where the quality of the shave did not mean anything, or maybe for a weekend trip with the boys to a sporting event, but no way would I depend on this razor for my daily shaves. I just as soon use a Norelco.

Now, IMHO if this is the razor Gillette is going to conquer India with, the men in India are in serious trouble. Or at least their lady friends are.

Well, that’s my review. Short and sweet.

173 23,547
 06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
Interesting... Thanks for posting this. My experience with this razor is completely opposite. I get a fantastic shave with these. as good as I have with DE in fact, and nothing does a better job on my neck or chin than the Guard.

Though the end result for me are every bit as good as a DE razor, it's not as enjoyable to use, so I just use the Guard while traveling.

0 836
 06-06-2012, 04:33 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 03:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: Gillette Guard - Review

First off, it’s CHEAP, both in price and quality.

Now, IMHO if this is the razor Gillette is going to conquer India with, the men in India are in serious trouble. Or at least their lady friends are.

Well, that’s my review. Short and sweet.

That is why Gillette is starting with cheap, because sadly the Indian population want to move up in "status" but cannot afford to as a nation. Gillette in response goes after the market with cheap razor to kill off the cheap DE segment and then begin the escalation of higher profit products.

Sadly the Indian men have been reinforced with information that DE razors are for the lower classes so to move up you get the guard. They don't realize that they have the best and are throwing it away over CHEAP cart. This isn't even a TRAC II which is a good cart. Sad and it affects us because Gillette and Energizer wants to kill off DE and any other form of razor that is not their latest offerings.

1 2,827
 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review. I just purchased one of these and some carts. I need to find something to shave my head with for my upcoming police academy. I'm going to give them a shot but I'm not very hopeful.

45 3,955
 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
User Info
Strange. It is a very 'flimsy' razor but I get great shaves out of this one. I enjoy the DE shave but this one is pretty good. YMMV and all that. I use it exclusively as my travel razor (replacing a vintage Gillette travel razor). I did a test once and got BBS or DFS shaves I think 6 times before I had to throw the single blade cartridge away.

0 41
 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
I use it often to shave my head and I get great shaves on the noggin... on the face, nothing beats a DE for me.

3 315
 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 05:59 PM)nickedandcut Wrote: Strange. It is a very 'flimsy' razor but I get great shaves out of this one. I enjoy the DE shave but this one is pretty good. YMMV and all that. I use it exclusively as my travel razor (replacing a vintage Gillette travel razor). I did a test once and got BBS or DFS shaves I think 6 times before I had to throw the single blade cartridge away.

I got five out of my last cartridge. I tossed it but I didn't have to... It was still giving me excellent shaves.

0 836
 06-06-2012, 06:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Just have to face it guys, I'm spoiled from using a vintage Schick Injector with quality sharp injector blades. This guard does not even come close for me. Yes, YMMV, IMHO, and all that apply to this razor as well as everything involved with shaving.

173 23,547
 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
User Info
We need to create a cartridge sub forum for you traitors! LOL
Johnny of all people. The mentor of the injector...

9 451
 06-06-2012, 06:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-06-2012, 06:53 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: We need to create a cartridge sub forum for you traitors! LOL

Don't put me on that list.Biggrin

Maybe that's my problem. In 50+ years of shaving, this is the first time I've ever used anything other than a Schick or a DE.

173 23,547
 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 06:57 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 06:53 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: We need to create a cartridge sub forum for you traitors! LOL

Don't put me on that list.Biggrin

Maybe that's my problem. In 50+ years of shaving, this is the first time I've ever used anything other than a Schick or a DE.

I'll tell ya a secret, I used my nephews Schick Hydro and it was a great shaver. The BBS didn't last as long and it took more passes than I'm accustomed to, but it wasn't bad at all. It made short work of my noggin. I may buy one just for shaving my head (doubt it)--I use my slant for that now.

9 451
 06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
Do the Indians really do the community get together shave thing? That looked interesting doing the Indian montiquilla dance and all while shaving. Then the chick coming out to inspect. I bet that really happens.

I feel sorry for the Indians. Yeah, I know it happened here (I never could get that dance down), but now I see it happening over there as a bystander and I don't like what I see. Where the heck are the Indians on this forum? We should have an outreach and tell them not to be drawn in by the community montequilla dance and the chick.

Gillette is shameless. Taking money from the 3rd world! Then giving them crap. Then expensive crap. Their executives must go home at night and kick the dog to make themselves feel better.

Disgraceful.

32 6,310
 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
User Info
Maybe I missed something. Is someone making Indians buy these razors? Are Indian men really so gullible as some would have us believe? Gillette is providing another option for shaving (and a damn good one in my opinion). They're not forcing it on anyone and they're not eliminating other razors. So how can providing Indian men with another option be a bad thing?

Give the Indians some credit. They're big boys, they can make big boy decisions.

I know it's popular to bash the big, evil P&Gooseberry.

Dang auto correct... And my phone won't let me edit the post!

0 836
 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 09:03 PM)5Savages Wrote: Maybe I missed something. Is someone making Indians buy these razors? Are Indian men really so gullible as some would have us believe? Gillette is providing another option for shaving (and a damn good one in my opinion). They're not forcing it on anyone and they're not eliminating other razors. So how can providing Indian men with another option be a bad thing?

Give the Indians some credit. They're big boys, they can make big boy decisions.

I know it's popular to bash the big, evil P&Gooseberry.

Dang auto correct... And my phone won't let me edit the post!

India is a massive market that Gillette had very poor sales in due to the use of DE razors. Through their research, P&G found that the average person was still using those dangerous and filthy double-edge razors to shave with. With a bit more snooping, I mean "research" they discovered that the average person couldn't afford the ultra popular Mach 3.

P&G set out to develop a super cheap razor so the average person could shave more safely and less dirty. They grabbed some Bollywood talent and made some 'OMG life is much more fun and now I'm sexy thanks to my Gillette disposable razor' commercials while at the same time lauch a disinformation campaign on double-edge razors. They cut you, you gush blood, become diseased and die young from some rare bacterial infection of the groin.

Big evil P&G? I thought P&G were a terrible company before this 'new' razor came about. They are one of the worst polluters in the world, they don't care if some Indian cuts himself shaving, they just want to make sure he's doing it with their product.

Oh and no I don't think people in India are gullible and sure P&G is only offering them another shaving option, it's just the way that they operate that annoys me.

9 451
 06-07-2012, 12:57 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Johnny, thanks for the review and I think I'll pass on these. Unlike you, I used the latest and greatest for too many years and got not so great shaves. Now that I get quality shaves with DEs/SEs/Injectors, the only time I use the latest and greatest is when traveling for a few days and I have to fly. Even then, if I am staying with family or friends then I simply mail DE blades ahead. Only when I am in a new city and staying at a hotel do I use a modern marvel. Wink

2 11,211
 06-07-2012, 03:17 AM
User Info
The Guard makes sense for Gillette, as Brian pointed out.

I was in India a few months ago, and I can't say I saw the Guard anywhere (in stores or in homes), but the people I was around were not the target audience for the Guard.

Let's face it guys, for most men shaving is something they have to do every day - not something they even want to enjoy. I think that's the wrong attitude to take, but not everyone agrees, or cares.

37 1,731
 06-07-2012, 05:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, if you look at the commercial above you can tell, it's all marketing to a younger generation. Young faces and hot bodies sells world wide.

No thank you.

173 23,547
 06-07-2012, 05:22 AM
User Info
Johnny-

Advertizing is just that - advertizing, and it has little to do with reality.

Take car commercials in the US for example. If they are to be believed, everyone driving their Ford or Chevy or Lexus is happy to get into their car and the roads they drive on are clear of any traffic (or any speed limits). The reality is that commuting is a drag, and people get irritated every time they enter a car, and of course the roads are congested and full of idiots in other cars.

They sell you a fantasy, and people the world over buy into it.

I use Axe deodorant sometimes, and I have yet to be mobbed by women wanting to get close to me. Biggrin

Like you, my reaction is - no thanks!

37 1,731
 06-07-2012, 06:22 AM
User Info
Yohann- During my trip to India, I could not get the Gillette Guard out of my sight. I was in Bombay, Bangalore, Hyderabad - the big metros. Every one of the ubiquitous mom and pop grocery stores had plenty of these hanging right next to the 1 Rupee shampoo sachets. In the big stores they had baskets full of them. And the few people I spoke to (mostly the ones with disposable incomes that are higher than mine adjusted for PPP - purchasing power parity) indicated they preferred the Guard to the Mach III. Bad sampling perhaps.

The one possible answer might be that in the past 6 months Gillette has already started to push out these in favor of the multi blades. Sinister?? No. That's purely a business for them.

(06-07-2012, 03:17 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: The Guard makes sense for Gillette, as Brian pointed out.

I was in India a few months ago, and I can't say I saw the Guard anywhere (in stores or in homes), but the people I was around were not the target audience for the Guard.

Let's face it guys, for most men shaving is something they have to do every day - not something they even want to enjoy. I think that's the wrong attitude to take, but not everyone agrees, or cares.

0 41
 06-07-2012, 06:28 AM
User Info
That's strange, as I spent several weeks in Bombay, and didn't really notice them. I spent my time with people at the same economic stratum as you mentioned, but they were older (like me), so perhaps they were more set in their ways.

37 1,731