06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Johnny.

83 21,077
 11-24-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
I bought one to fill out an order (the free shipping threshold) and they sent it along with 5 free blades. I haven't used it yet, but I've read some good things.

I heard a great story about the R&D for this razor. Apparently, some decades ago, Gillette was trying to tap the Indian market because most Indian shavers used the DE razor and blades. Europe and north America had already embraced multi-blades, and Gillette saw a potential gold mine looming.
A bit of research convinced them that Indian men had beards with somewhat different characteristics than Europeans and, being a Boston based company, they recruited some Indian students from Harvard. These test subjects were given various multi-blade razors in different configurations to try. The tests were all carried out using modern western plumbing. Perhaps not surprisingly, the resulting razor marketed in India was an abysmal failure. Gillette had failed to consider a man crouching on the ground with a container of water, perhaps a little soap, and his razor.

So, in more recent times, wiser heads at Procter & Gamble researched and developed the GUARD, which has become one of the largest selling razors in India.
This is probably the thin end of the wedge and soon, maybe a TWIN GUARD? . . .
Euro

5 395
 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I still would like to try it - just out of curiosity!

28 667
 01-14-2015, 06:50 PM
User Info
I am from India and at 47 I have seen a bit of the Indian Mindset.
Indians are traditionally terribly frugal. This is the biggest barrier for American Multinationals trying to break in.

However the aspiring younger generation is swayed by the advertising and forms 50% of the population, a large pool for Gillette to fish dirty.

The Gillette Guard was designed for people who had to shave out of a single cup of water in a village scenario. Hence the clog resistant design.

However, the educated and aware among us have already begun questioning advertising and taking sane decisions. I have reintroduced at least 18 of my friends to DE and they are all happy and reeconverting others. Most have restored their vintage Adjustables and are making merry.

Here I go off topic a little. If you see the Clinic or Head & Shoulders ads, you need to shampoo every day to keep dandruff out. However the Laureth Sulphate in the shampoo is what dessicates the scalp, causing flaking and IS THE CAUSE OF DANDRUFF AND HAIRFALL. Dear friends, go to an India shop and buy a cake of Godrej Shikakai soap to replace your shampoos. You will regain 30% hair in 3 months. (Basically the hair that flushes down the drain or is swept up off the floor after you comb,stays glued to your head.) Indians are privy to a wealth of natural products and in comparison these P&G / Uni products are crap.

Back to topic. Advertising will sway the Indians for a while but we will be quicker to recognise the demerits and will be back.

Amazon thinks it can break the brick and mortar stores in India.
No my friend they have adapted and will break Amazon. Watch it happen.

Let us say Gillette shall be caught "off guard"

0 8
 01-18-2015, 01:33 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(01-14-2015, 06:50 PM)Astrobufff Wrote: I am from India and at 47 I have seen a bit of the Indian Mindset.
Indians are traditionally terribly frugal. This is the biggest barrier for American Multinationals trying to break in.

However the aspiring younger generation is swayed by the advertising and forms 50% of the population, a large pool for Gillette to fish dirty.

The Gillette Guard was designed for people who had to shave out of a single cup of water in a village scenario. Hence the clog resistant design.

However, the educated and aware among us have already begun questioning advertising and taking sane decisions. I have reintroduced at least 18 of my friends to DE and they are all happy and reeconverting others. Most have restored their vintage Adjustables and are making merry.

Here I go off topic a little. If you see the Clinic or Head & Shoulders ads, you need to shampoo every day to keep dandruff out. However the Laureth Sulphate in the shampoo is what dessicates the scalp, causing flaking and IS THE CAUSE OF DANDRUFF AND HAIRFALL. Dear friends, go to an India shop and buy a cake of Godrej Shikakai soap to replace your shampoos. You will regain 30% hair in 3 months. (Basically the hair that flushes down the drain or is swept up off the floor after you comb,stays glued to your head.) Indians are privy to a wealth of natural products and in comparison these P&G / Uni products are crap.

Back to topic. Advertising will sway the Indians for a while but we will be quicker to recognise the demerits and will be back.

GREAT post I enjoyed your views. Smile

15 541
 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM
User Info
The development of the Guard had some kind of interesting history in India. Gillette has long been trying to get Indian men to give up DE and buy expensive cartridges. They cannot make them too expensive or they would be unaffordable in emerging markets. Gillette (P&G) tried many ways of test-marketing various products. One of the most famous flops was one that got approval from test subjects who were Indian students studying in USA. Then, when they tried selling it in India, it flopped. They figured out the product worked great, but only where there was convenient running water. Gillette went back to the drawing board. They found that Indian men may shave only every 2 or 3 days, they have thick growth, and they typically do not even use a mirror. A half hour to shave, with no more than a cup of water, is common. Their main concern was getting cut. The point of the ad, in which men are doing various things while they shave, is that with the guard you do not have to remain concentrated on your shave.
There are several articles. You can google search "development gillette guard india".

0 37
 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM
User Info
I really like this razor.  I use it for travel a lot.  I like the fact that it doesn't have a lube strip and it's a single blade with a pivoting head.  I can get 4 shaves out of one blade, 5 if I really push it.  I like the price too, really cheap if you order from India on eBay too!  In fact, I've been shaving with one all this week on my business trip.  I just finished a great shave tonight!  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

21 555
 04-28-2015, 08:13 AM
User Info
I added a Gillette Guard razor to an order of shave soap and after 3 shaves I can say it's the easiest way for me to get a smooth shave. The handle felt too light so I epoxied a short metal rod into the hollow handle and that greatly improved it. 
I may have found my go to razor in the Gillette Guard.

9 202
 05-07-2015, 10:25 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-14-2015, 06:50 PM)Astrobufff Wrote: I am from India and at 47 I have seen a bit of the Indian Mindset.

Amen and Thank You!

7 2,327
 06-04-2015, 07:46 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 03:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: Gillette Guard - Review

I received one of the Gillette Guard razors as a gift with the stipulation that I would post my findings.

First, here is what the good folks in India have to say about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffvu0azt...detailpage

Now, here is my review:

First off, it’s CHEAP, both in price and quality.

It is made of very lightweight plastic and really feels very flimsy.  You attach the blade by squeezing the handle together and inserting the blade in to the notches.

If you apply too much pressure, the blade pops out of the notches and falls in to the sink.

Did I mention it’s CHEAP?

Now trust me, I’m not the new kid on the block and I’ve shaved a few times in my day.  For the first time in my life, I used four passes to shave, and still had stubble in places.

This might be a good razor for a camping trip where the quality of the shave did not mean anything, or maybe for a weekend trip with the boys to a sporting event, but no way would I depend on this razor for my daily shaves.  I just as soon use a Norelco.

Now, IMHO if this is the razor Gillette is going to conquer India with, the men in India are in serious trouble.  Or at least their lady friends are.

Well, that’s my review.  Short and sweet.

i actually like this razor, too. I don't use it, but I have in the past for travel. I got both my kids started on the guard a couple of years ago. It's inexpensive, no lube strip, no clogging, and it's hard to hurt yourself with it. It doesn't shave as closely as a DE because it's designed to be safe and foolproof. The angle and exposure that are built into the razor are deliberately mild, but that works pretty well for most situations and especially for those with light growth. 

2 1,456
 06-04-2015, 08:57 PM
User Info
the indians are here!!!!

hi morning gentlemen 
let me share my opinion on some issues from the above posts 
as one member rightfully pointed out we are big boys and we can make our decisions so..

the biggest problem here is shaving is treated more of a chore then a privilege
i used to feel the same especially when i had early morning flights,
not any more though
 also 80% of india lives in villages where the average income per month is close to a $100 only
and a lack of exposure to the world of shaving
we also have to understand here that while some of us studied abroad, mainly in the USA and developed new ways of expanding our horizon, not many here are that fortunate
I can walk into a decent salon here  and get brilliant straight shave for just a dollar

then premium salons like Truefitt and Hill have opened up here in Bombay and are doing very well, u will not pay more then $5-6  which will include a head massage and a hot towel thrown in 

there were still people like my dad who would either use a straight razor or a DE, a godrej round soap or palmolive shave cream (they still are  pretty good products) and it has been passed down to me and now my seven year old son can distinguish between different hair grades (the kent Bk12 being his favourite ) and razors and he enjoys the feel of a silver tip brush on his face.

the other issue is the cost and availability of good DE equipment, u know as a country of 1.2 billion we do not have a single good razor manufacturer 
on the gillette front they do sell a plastic DE for about $1.25 but its really not that good 
Parker razors are manufactured here but for some reason the owner does not sell them here, there could again be two reasons one the owner thinks there is no market or other he thinks indians do not deserve them either way he is wrong there does exist a market u just need to tap it 
a new company forest essentials has started making some premium products in shaving software and they are well over the $20 range i bought their cream and aftershave they are comparable to any artisan products in the USA right now and the good part is they are always sold out so yes change is coming but at a slower rate old spice still manufactures it classic AS here though not in the ceramic bottle, we also have a turmeric shaving cream which costs like 40 cents and gets the job done nicely

india still is a very cost conscious country and thats where gillette cheap quality strategy comes to play we are still about 600 million males in this country take a minuscule percentage who will choose price over quality and there rockets your sales chart 
lets see where it goes from here 
raj

0 115
 06-06-2015, 06:14 PM
User Info
(06-07-2012, 05:04 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, if you look at the commercial above you can tell, it's all marketing to a younger generation.  Young faces and hot bodies sells world wide.

No thank you.

First off good review thanks for sharing.

To the video,what?I'll say again what? So um that dance I don't care how good the shaves are you bust a move like that then your going to go home alone, a lot, always. Then the running with shave cream, maybe its an inside joke but did anyone else notice the guys on the motorcycles cream wasnt  moving as he's getting to the dance party shave off? I don't know Indian culture but the guy that runs the jet pep down the street is from there and we are friends, I can't wait to show him this video and beg for the dance. I agree shame on Gillette I feel embarrassed for them for that ad. Although I may try the dance my next shave.

3 1,356
 06-07-2015, 10:00 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(06-07-2012, 12:57 AM)freddy Wrote: Johnny, thanks for the review and I think I'll pass on these.  Unlike you, I used the latest and greatest for too many years and got not so great shaves.  Now that I get quality shaves with DEs/SEs/Injectors, the only time I use the latest and greatest is when traveling for a few days and I have to fly.  Even then, if I am staying with family or friends then I simply mail DE blades ahead.  Only when I am in a new city and staying at a hotel do I use a modern marvel. Wink

I must update this.  I finally broke down and about a year and a half ago I purchased the Guard and blades on an eBay site based in India.  I use it for travel, as mentioned above, and I find that it does give me an initially decent shave.  I say initially because as the day wears on, my stubble grows back much faster than it does with my trusty DEs or SEs.  What makes it good for travel is that the Guard is very light, passes through TSA security at the airport with no problems, and the thing is dirt cheap.  I think for $11.00 I got two razors and sixteen blades.  For what I use it for, it's fine but it simply cannot come close to a traditional wet shave with brush, soap/cream, and DE or SE razor and blade.

Interestingly, I have a friend who uses the latest Gillette Fusion, the one with the ball, and he couldn't stop raving about it.  When I went to visit him, he insisted that I try it. What I found was that the final result was very much like that of the Guard at many times the cost.  For the few times I need (not want) a cartridge razor, the Guard serves my needs.

2 11,211
 06-07-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
Very interesting. Thanks for share.

2 64
 09-14-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I've started to shave my head again and have been using the Guard with great results (WTG & ATG). I like that it doesn't clog, even on 2-3 day growth, and that it's much easier on my skin compared to multi blades.

I tried using it on my face to touch up a 2 pass DE shave and it was horrible. I'm not sure why I get such different results.

I might try other razors, but after ordering a few hundred carts I'm going to roll with the Guard for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 09-14-2015, 09:04 AM
User Info
Ive never seen these, looks interesting to say the least.  Too bad looks dont help results, if johnny says its a no go I wont waste my time.  I look forward to each and every shave and would hate to waste one!

2 58
 09-14-2015, 09:15 AM
User Info
This is a great razor for the head. I can shave my head in 3 minutes with a very close shave without effort.  The best thing about the Guard is that it doesn't need to be rinsed, not even once for the full head shave! This is because of the great gap between the guard and the actual blade, so no clogging.  It is smooth and efficient, don't need to go over the same spot twice.

For the face, the first shave is a bit harsh for me (sensitive ski and thick whiskers), but the second, third and subsequent are just excellent.

13 119
 09-15-2015, 04:05 PM
User Info
I have one. Daily shave my head with a gillette fusion proglide flexball with with great BBS results without any irritation in shower.  Gave the guard a try.  Meh. Not even in the same ballpark as the fusion. I also shaved my face with it.   Again, meh.  Not as good as my feather neo with fii Carts or gillette sensor excel carts or even personna knock off atra carts.    As far as cost here in the US I get the personna atra type carts for .15 a cart. Guard comes in at considerably higher per cart.

90 899
 11-12-2015, 01:31 PM
User Info
(04-28-2015, 08:13 AM)KevinD Wrote: I added a Gillette Guard razor to an order of shave soap and after 3 shaves I can say it's the easiest way for me to get a smooth shave. The handle felt too light so I epoxied a short metal rod into the hollow handle and that greatly improved it. 
I may have found my go to razor in the Gillette Guard.

I'm wondering if you could post a photo of your modified handle. It sounds like a good solution.

I've been using a Gillette Guard as my travel razor when I only bring a carry on bag. It gives me a pretty good shave. My main objections have been covered in this thread - it is very light and pretty flimsy. I'm used to a fairly hefty DE.

10 96
 11-25-2016, 11:15 AM
User Info
A colleague from India visited recently and kindly fulfilled my request for a Guard.

I was traveling yesterday and tried it out.

Not bad, as the Brits would say. Not bad at all.

8 915