03-01-2015, 11:20 PM
User Info
Hi Guys,

Let's try and keep this short and simple. I have been shaving for almost 3 years and my technique has gotten much better. I have found that my face prefers slants and open combs since my beard is more tough but skin is sensitive. A slant was my second razor so I have used them since I started. Here is the issue.

I now have too many slants that I acquired quickly without learning how to use them. If I want to really dial in each one, what would you suggest to do in order to properly give them time to shine and figure out if they will work for me if I use them properly? I am looking for advice on what I should do regarding blades, like whether I should use the same blade for each razor. How long should I use a razor until switching to a different slant. How can I test most efficiently what the optimum amount of growth each razor can tackle?

I will include these razor merely as a number of what I will have to rotate to. I am not looking for anything regarding any slant in specific. 

Razors in the rotation....Hoffritz Slant, Apollo Slant, Fasan Open Comb Slant, Merkur 39 Slant, RRSS Aluminum and RRSS Stainless Steel.

82 1,373
 03-02-2015, 01:10 AM
User Info
Hello!

I am certainly not the most qualified here, but here is my suggestion.

Your range of selection is a burden to learn one razor. So you must chose a razor and find a routine to step up learning. You may chose different items twice a week to satisfy curiousity and spike interest for the diffferences, but stay 5 of seven times with the same routine.

Kind regards!

Philipp

21 1,175
 03-02-2015, 05:47 AM
User Info
I would suggest 3 or 4 shaves as a minimum with each razor before you try the next one.  I would use the same blade in each one to start, something you find very smooth yet sharp (Gillette Silver Blues for me).

54 1,214
 03-02-2015, 10:26 PM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 05:47 AM)david1201 Wrote: I would suggest 3 or 4 shaves as a minimum with each razor before you try the next one.  I would use the same blade in each one to start, something you find very smooth yet sharp (Gillette Silver Blues for me).
This!

I rarely do less than 6 shaves per razor in my rotation and more often ~10 - and I have only 3 razors in my rotation currently!

Take on and use it until you get consistent! shaves - if you have a go to blade, I would use that blade at least 50% of the time. Mine are Voskhod and every 2nd blade is a Voskhod...so you know exactly what you can expect.

Once you get 3-4 consistent shaves in a row, move to the next razor and repeat. But then come back to the first, move to the second and then start with the third...

Once I am up to 5 razors - I start doing an evaluation and let 1-2 go before thinking of getting a new one. OK, that last part is maybe a bit exaggerated - I am always thinking of new razors I want to try Smile

7 929
 03-04-2015, 07:12 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'll post some advice in exchange for a vintage size 18 Plisson.

Seriously, though, you bring up an issue that I have with razors in general: what is the best way to learn a razor or figure out if it's a keeper or not? There are so many variables at play that I think it's hard to give a razor a fair shake with just a handful of shaves. Lately, I have been trying to stick with one razor for an entire month. This lets me try it with different creams or soaps and different blades. And the regular use lets me really get to know each razor. 

43 1,705
 03-04-2015, 09:50 PM
User Info
For me, I can tell right away after the first pass and definitely after the first shave. I haven't erred, yet. Biggrin 
Unfortunately, Slants have never really worked for me! 
You shouldn't really be having to adjust your technique, significantly with them as you should be able to find the correct angle after a few shaves. 
Good luck. 

83 21,115
 03-05-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
When I got my ikon slant that was the only razor I used for almost 6 months, changing only soaps, brushes and blades

5 116
 03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
Some folks get great results using the 30-day rule - use the same gear everyday for a month to really get to know it. 
It may be a bit much, so just using each slant until you get consistent results may be the way to go. 

2 447