03-02-2015, 07:20 AM
User Info
What is the general consensus on the forum about offering a lower price than is posted in the classifieds?   This seems to get mixed responses.  Personally, as a seller, I would have no problem with that at all.  It may just help sell an item that seems to be going nowhere. I have seen where others are highly offended by a counter-offer.  So - is this considered acceptable or not?    YMMV is NOT an answer!
  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

8 72
 03-02-2015, 07:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I don't have a problem with it as long as it is not out of line. The seller can always say no thank you.

178 23,806
 03-02-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
I suppose it would be OK, but I always figured that the seller knows what he needs to get for something so I've never done it.

32 6,458
 03-02-2015, 08:23 AM
User Info
I have accepted some lower offers than my posting price, for various reasons.  I'm of the opinion that "it can't hurt to ask" as long as you do it nicely and you don't build a reputation as one who does it all the time.  I know of some members (here and elsewhere) who have consistently made lowball offers that when I see their PM on a newly listed item, I know what's coming.

84 1,505
 03-02-2015, 08:37 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
When I post a listing I will specifically request no trades or offers if I'm not in the mood.  If I'm just trying to get rid of stuff then I would rather negotiate a price than keep an item I'm not using on hand.  Do NOT make a demanding offer nor go too far below fair market price as both of these are quite rude and unfortunately occur pretty regularly here (mostly by lurkers with 0 to a few posts), those offers don't get a response from me and get filed in the DO NOT SELL TO THIS PERSON EVER section of my brain. 

144 2,745
 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 08:37 AM)blzrfn Wrote: When I post a listing I will specifically request no trades or offers if I'm not in the mood.  If I'm just trying to get rid of stuff then I would rather negotiate a price than keep an item I'm not using on hand.  Do NOT make a demanding offer nor go too far below fair market price as both of these are quite rude and unfortunately occur pretty regularly here (mostly by lurkers with 0 to a few posts), those offers don't get a response from me and get filed in the DO NOT SELL TO THIS PERSON EVER section of my brain. 

Very well put!  this should be a sticky!!!

8 72
 03-02-2015, 10:01 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I agree with jpakstis and blzrfn, it can be acceptable, but it depends on how it is done. If someone wants to make a lower offer, please do it politely and respectfully. If I have a brush listed for $60 and someone PMs and says, "Will you take $30 for it?", that's a little ridiculous. And if it is someone's recurring M.O., well, I don't think that's really in the spirit of the forum. 

Just as I don't try to gouge and get the highest price for everything, I think buyers shouldn't try to lowball to get the lowest price, either. 

The longer something has been up for sale, of course, the more likely someone will be to accept a lower offer. 

60 843
 03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
User Info
Great advice offered, here, already!

82 21,077
 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
Most of the prices I have seen in B/S/T have been appropriate and the items have moved accordingly; if I see something I want I usually jump at the requested price.  If an item has lingered for awhile, I might consider a 10% or so lower offer, but never an insultingly low offer.

16 91
 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I agree with most of the advice given here. As always, courtesy and common sense should rule the day.

2 11,211
 03-02-2015, 11:39 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Well, I always say "If you don't ask, you don't get."
If I have an item listed for $100 and someone sends me a PM saying "ABC has that item for $90 at http://www.abc.xyz.  Would you accept $50?"
I'll usually respond with "Well, I won't say 'no', but let's give it a few days to see if I have any better offers."  And then I'll lower the asking price to be more commensurate with the market.

I've been known to PM a seller with a lower offer especially if an item has been listed for a loooonnnng time.
In one instance, the seller obviously didn't know the value of what they were selling and listed an item at about 10% of the market price, so I offered to buy it for a lot more than he was selling.  It was the right thing to do and I didn't want him to get ripped off by an unscrupulous buyer.  Both of us were very pleased with that transaction.

An appropriate price is one that is acceptable to both buyer/seller.
Price is what you pay.  Value is what you get.

47 1,923
 03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
I think that it's important to remember where we are. This isn't a Craig's List or an Ebay. When I list something for sale, I think of it as selling to friends. If I want to try to make money, I list elsewhere. In that spirit, I never make a lower offer to a seller. If the price is too high, I move on. JMO

39 3,918
 03-02-2015, 03:51 PM
User Info
I have accepted offers slightly lower than what I was asking. If the offer is reasonable and posed in a respectful manner, then I will consider it. I typically take quite a loss on the items I sell as I don't consider bst to be a profit making option. As mentioned above, this isn't ebay

0 36
 03-02-2015, 04:24 PM
User Info
I'm against it 110%, as it can very easily be viewed as rude or inappropiate by the seller.

I believe that the seller eventually will know very well if he is asking too much - nooone will make an offer.

Then the seller can adjust the price accordingly.

If I'm offered a price lower than what I ask for, I simply ignore this user. 

24 5,962
 03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 11:45 AM)primotenore Wrote: I think that it's important to remember where we are. This isn't a Craig's List or an Ebay. When I list something for sale, I think of it as selling to friends. If I want to try to make money, I list elsewhere. In that spirit, I never make a lower offer to a seller. If the price is too high, I move on. JMO

+1 +1 +1  Signs011

24 5,962
 03-02-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
In some cultures it is accepted to haggle. Everyone does haggling on cars but some cultures people do it and it is accepted and expected. I think it is annoying because as a seller I have to price things higher to accommodate the haggling. I don't like to bother so I don't do haggling as a seller or buyer though. 

18 713
 03-02-2015, 04:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(03-02-2015, 11:45 AM)primotenore Wrote: I think that it's important to remember where we are. This isn't a Craig's List or an Ebay. When I list something for sale, I think of it as selling to friends. If I want to try to make money, I list elsewhere. In that spirit, I never make a lower offer to a seller. If the price is too high, I move on. JMO

Signs011 The voice of reason.

Now for a brief hijack;

Similarly, when shopping for new products one should try to not offend a retailer by asking for a ridiculously low price in order to match or beat another seller's price. Different vendors use a variety of SKUs as loss leaders. We don't know what dealer X paid for an item. Maybe dealer Y bought the same item on closeout, or bought 10,000 pieces just to get a super sharp price and blow the item out. My point is, dealers generally price retail items where they're comfortable with the profit margins. They're in business to make money, and to hopefully be there for the long term, to sell you things when you want or need them. If you like dealer Y's ridiculously low price, buy it there. Chances are when you come back to dealer X down the road for something else, he'll be happy to have your business and will provide outstanding service.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

7 2,120
 03-02-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
Interesting variety of responses, as expected.  Remember that in the original post it said counter-offer and not lowball bid.  You can tell that some have indeed run into rude behavior that came from unreasonable lowball offers.  Personally, I have no issue with respectful and reasonable offers.  To me, what is much more important is that items sold be as described and any defects be thoroughly divulged.  I go out of my way on items I sell to accommodate the buyer and usually offer a money back if not satisfied guarantee.  That is for another discussion.

8 72
 03-03-2015, 04:05 AM
User Info
Life is far too short to get upset or bothered by someone making a lower offer.  I have sent and received lower offers...all in the spirit of seeing if the seller (me or the other) will sell for a better deal.  If I cannot take the lower offer, I graciously decline the offer.  However, there have been times when I accepted the offer.  On the other hand, if the seller tells me the price is firm - I accept.  I honor no trades and CONUS only requests by a seller.  No reason to get offended on a forum such as this...just kindly decline and go on with life.

Ed

22 752
 03-03-2015, 04:30 AM
User Info
Hmmmm some very interesting responses on here and one only has to look over at another forum's BST's recent changes to see their view on pricing of second hand items. 

Personally whenever I've put an item up for sell I've already included some wiggle room and expect offers. 

Remember gents we're selling used items. Some of the prices I've recently seen are rather eyebrow raising to say the least. 

I'm a firm believer of don't ask don't get 

8 244