03-02-2015, 08:22 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
For a little bit of back story, take a look here...

Basically freddy was after something to hold a sample ink vial bottle, thus allowing him to have both hands free when he needed to fill a fountain pen with ink.

Below are a couple of very! rough ideas, mainly put together to allow Freddie and I discuss ideas, home in on exactly what he was after...

[Image: ypmyhtN.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 1

2inch x 2inch x 1½inch

[Image: z71QxJr.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 2

2inch x 2inch x 1½inch

In the end we decided to go with Option 2 (above), but with modifications that we hoped would make it look a bit more refined...

A visit to my local woodworking/lumber shop resulted in me bringing home a 1¾inch thick slab (off-cut) of Red Oak, plus some ¼inch thick Red Oak.

[Image: MU7AltT.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 in Red Oak

2½inch x 2¼inch x 1¾inch -- layout lines for "Ink Vial Holder" body

[Image: 9pbCbRE.jpg]

¼inch thick Red Oak / 3inch x 2¾inch x ¼inch -- layout lines for "Ink Vial Holder" base

[Image: 7kMFCyq.jpg]

2½inch x 2¼inch x 1¾inch -- using a drill-press, fitted with a forstner bit to drill straight and clean ⅝inch diameter through holes

[Image: RAjWAos.jpg]

2½inch x 2¼inch x 1¾inch -- ink vial fits nice and snugly into ⅝inch diameter through hole

[Image: 8YlLgMo.jpg]

2½inch x 2¼inch x 1¾inch -- ⅝inch diameter through holes widened slightly via sanding

When it came time to cutout the *single* ink vial holders from the 1¾inch thick Red Oak, it suddenly occurred to me, having a few ink vial holders that held *three* sample bottles might be a good idea (plus look good). A quick phone call to Freddie to see what he thought, proved worthwhile, as we both agreed to move ahead with a number of *single* ink vial holders, plus a few *three* ink vial holders...

[Image: wP1ZKzx.jpg]

2½inch x 2¼inch x 1¾inch "Ink Vial Holder" body sitting on top of 3inch x 2¾inch x ¼inch "Ink Vial Holder" base

[Image: f4dLTUi.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 (with 3 holes) in Red Oak

[Image: KObrT2j.jpg]

Glue up - Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 in Red Oak

[Image: ZnSnZvV.jpg]

Glue up - Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 (with 3 holes) in Red Oak

[Image: J3kqztB.jpg]

Glue up - Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 & Option 2 (with 3 holes), both in Red Oak

[Image: 7ZxKZQ6.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 & Option 2 (with 3 holes), both in Red Oak

After first coat of "Natural" colour wood oil finish

[Image: kUAxGPR.jpg]

After first coat of 50/50 mix of Poly and Mineral Spirits

[Image: zJ0DQcL.jpg]

After 5 coats of 50/50 mix of Poly and Mineral Spirits. Knocked back (sanded) with 600 grit sandpaper before applying 5th and final coat.

[Image: 15vWXwl.jpg]

2½inch x 2¼inch x 1¾inch "Ink Vial Holder" body sitting on top of 3inch x 2¾inch x ¼inch "Ink Vial Holder" base.

After 5 coats of 50/50 mix of Poly and Mineral Spirits. Knocked back (sanded) with 600 grit sandpaper before applying 5th and final coat.

[Image: qqeVWbn.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 (with 3 holes) in Red Oak

23 1,872
 03-02-2015, 08:32 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
These have proven to be perfect for me and I use them all the time. Mike did a fantastic job. I have given a few away and the feedback from Pam and Phil (MsBlackwolf and PhilNH5) has been very positive. These vial holders offer a no muss no fuss way to fill my pens from sample vials. 

Thanks Mike.  Smile

2 11,211
 03-03-2015, 11:03 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Those look great Mike!  Seems like they'd be a much safer way to fill from a vial!

1 608
 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
These have worked GREAT for me! I use the 3 hole version for filling eyedropper pens: Place the pen in an empty hole with a bit of folded paper/cotton ball stuffing and fill. The single hole lives on my desk, where it gets used for all sorts of things. I refill empty carts and the holder works for that too.

Any plan to offer these for sale?

1 346
 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM
User Info
Mike,
I was lucky enough to be gifted these from freddy. They work great as both freddy and Pam have noted. Ours sees constant use as between the 3 of us we keep 10 - 12 pens inked at a time.
Just recently it was used to hold empty vials as my wife transferred aliquots to send to freddy.
Just love them. Didn't realize I needed one until it arrived Biggrin
Phil

7 363
 03-03-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
(03-03-2015, 01:53 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: These have worked GREAT for me! I use the 3 hole version for filling eyedropper pens: Place the pen in an empty hole with a bit of folded paper/cotton ball stuffing and fill. The single hole lives on my desk, where it gets used for all sorts of things. I refill empty carts and the holder works for that too.

Any plan to offer these for sale?

Hi Pam,
Great to see you posting. How are your critters holding up in this snowy winter?

Phil

7 363
 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM
User Info
You could probably sell these easy enough to pen enthusiasts.  If you go into the market, let me know as I figure it is only a matter of time before I accidentally knock a sample vial over when refilling.

1 135
 03-05-2015, 10:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Thank you for the kind words Blush

Pam, Phil and Freddy, nice to hear they have proved useful and actually get used (without falling apart) Shy

I have no plans to make anymore and start selling them. Sorry.

But! if there is genuine interest from people here, I would be more than happy to make more of them (one large batch). I would only ask people to cover cost of materials and shipping.

If the above sounds good (agreeable), please show your interest below (in this thread). We can then move forward from there...

23 1,872
 03-05-2015, 06:36 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I could definitely see myself with a three vial holder.  If you get enough interest in the project Mike, please count me in.

18 1,186
 03-06-2015, 11:51 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I'd take a one vial holder. No problem covering costs. Smile

1 608
 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
User Info
   Mike, please count me in.

2 226
 05-29-2015, 02:45 PM
User Info
Very well done. Please, count me in if you are still considering making more for members of this site.

0 43