06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
With the amount of wonderful soaps and creams that I've been using since I began wet shaving I find that I have to clean (scrub) the sink every two or three days to remove the soap scum buildup. (in between scrub days I just rinse with plain tap-water and wipe down with a towel) .

For scrubbing I have been using "Scrubbing Bubbles" followed by a rinse but SWMBO says she prefers "Comet Cleanser". I was wondering about the OxyClean products or anything else you guys might have found that really cuts through soap scum and makes short work of it.

18 281
 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
User Info
Well try one half a quart water that is close near boiling but not boiling. Pour one half of it down the drain. Then spray some Scrubbing Bubbles down the drain and let sit for a minute. Then pour the remaining half of the water down the drain.

Since I use a hot pot to heat a small amount of water for shaving, I pour a little down the drain every day after shaving without any extra chemicals and my drain stays clean.

Hope this helps.

1 2,827
 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I do rinse and then wipe down the basin daily with hot water, but maybe not as hot as yours, (it is uncomfortable to the touch) but after the second or third day when I wipe the basin for drying I can feel the grit of the soap buildup, that is when I use the scrubbing bubbles like you suggest.

I let the scrubbing bubbles soak the basin for a few minutes but I still have to take a rag to the sprayed on scrubbing bubbles and rub rub rub to get the grit off, just rinsing the scrubbing bubbles off with water won't even do it.

I'd like to be able to do like you and just spray something on, wait and then rinse.

18 281
 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 05:21 PM)daccpa Wrote: With the amount of wonderful soaps and creams that I've been using since I began wet shaving I find that I have to clean (scrub) the sink every two or three days to remove the soap scum buildup. (in between scrub days I just rinse with plain tap-water and wipe down with a towel) .

For scrubbing I have been using "Scrubbing Bubbles" followed by a rinse but SWMBO says she prefers "Comet Cleanser". I was wondering about the OxyClean products or anything else you guys might have found that really cuts through soap scum and makes short work of it.

I don't see any problem,just tell her to take her time and make sure not to miss anything....Smiley_1140Smiley_1140Smiley_1140

BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

7 414
 06-06-2012, 06:12 PM
User Info
Have you tried a microfiber cleaning cloth? I can't believe soap scum will stand up to one of those. You can find them pretty much anywhere, but I know they can be found in the automotive sections of big box stores or auto parts stores. They're just used damp with water - no need for chemicals of any sort. When it gets loaded up, just rinse and continue using it, or throw it in the washer.

BTW, they work just as well elsewhere around the house and car, etc. and last close to forever.

32 6,308
 06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
[/quote]

I don't see any problem,just tell her to take her time and make sure not to miss anything....Smiley_1140Smiley_1140Smiley_1140

BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin
[/quote]

You know, when I opened this thread I was thinking the same exact thing ! Tongue

Seriously though I will try the microfiber cloth, that's a good idea. Have just been using my shaving towel.

18 281
 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 06:10 PM)razorx Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 05:21 PM)daccpa Wrote: With the amount of wonderful soaps and creams that I've been using since I began wet shaving I find that I have to clean (scrub) the sink every two or three days to remove the soap scum buildup. (in between scrub days I just rinse with plain tap-water and wipe down with a towel) .

BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

After those words of encouragement he will not see any problem either!

[Image: black_eye-572.jpg]

1 2,827
 06-06-2012, 11:10 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(06-06-2012, 06:12 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Have you tried a microfiber cleaning cloth?
+1

That's all I use. Wipe round every day after using the sink (including taps, which come up shiny) with a micro-fibre cloth. Never had to do anything else. The Nook always looks smart to me.

1 290
 06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I use Kaboom foaming cleaner, which is basically just their version of Scrubbing Bubbles. It works great for me. Most residue comes off effortlessly, and just a little rubbing with the rough side of sponge takes off the rest.

I get all the visible soap out of the sink after shaving or tooth brushing, but I don't go for a full-on cleaning more than once per week.

10 1,858
 06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
User Info
I use my shaving brush and the remaining lather to clean out the sink with hot water after every shave.
Seems clean enough to me and doesn't feel like there's any soap scum.
I wipe the counter top and faucet down with the hand towel and it's done. Smile

0 1,377
 06-07-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
i have never really had an issue for whatever reason, but possibly the simple ingredients in my soaps are not as coagulating as the other brands of soaps.
Enjoy the cleaning.Wink

75 20,883
 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
I like the Scrubbing Bubbles too

0 197
 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
I thoroughly rinse out the basin with the hottest tap water and just wipe down everything. I have yet to have a problem with soap scum build-up between the regular cleanings.

5 833
 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
the soap scum I usually experience is found on my razor.

when I'm shaving, I usually fill my sink up with cold water and just shake the razor in the water to free the water and shaving cream/soap off of the razor between strokes. after the shave is complete, I rinse out the sink with warm water and run a towel around it to dry it off.

40 5,830
 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
I use Neutrogena Anti-Residue Formula Shampoo to clean the shaving soap residue off my vintage brushes, and it does a really good job. I wonder if a little of it might clean up the sink pretty well?....

183 12,002
 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-25-2012, 01:45 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I use Neutrogena Anti-Residue Formula Shampoo to clean the shaving soap residue off my vintage brushes, and it does a really good job. I wonder if a little of it might clean up the sink pretty well?....

*** hmmmm, maybe I wonder how it works? ***

9 1,684