03-02-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
I just had to get this thread written. In today's mail arrived my first ever Stirling Soap. I ordered the new Glastonbury. Luckily I hadn't shaved so I went at it. Stirling, oh Stirling, where have you been my whole life? If I knew now what a terrific soap you were, I would have proposed to you sooner.  Heart Your slickness is without peer.  Clap Your scent is appealing to my olfactory sense.  Sisi As I pressed you into my container, I was surprised how soft you are. It must be the oodles of Beef Tallow.  Bow You exploded your lather onto my face like Old Faithful and kept a cushiony blanket of protection throughout three luxurious passes, leaving my skin wonderfully soft and smooth. No need for the Alum Block.  Firedevil No need for the Witch Hazel.  Box I was able to go directly to my Floïd Vigoroso for a magnificent finish.  Number_one

I thank you Stirling Soaps and my face thanks you.

39 3,883
 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
It is good stuff, I got a sample of Texas on fire and after my initial whiff and urge to throw it away I tried it and while I admit it is smoky the cedar wood comes through. I finished off the sample and wished I had more. Lathers easily, great slickness and nice post-shave feel. Will be a ordering puck once I make a dent in my current soap inventory

4 105
 03-02-2015, 12:07 PM
User Info
Their formula has been improved over the last couple of months.  If you haven't bought any new soaps from them since around December, then you ought another one.

16 249
 03-02-2015, 12:10 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have tried a few of his soaps and had mixed results.  The best lather came from a puck of Sharp Dressed Man, which I believe is the latest formula, and it is above average in slickness and post skin feel, but there is literally no scent other than some kind of clay or earthiness and it does take a bit of work.  My previous samples that I tried, which may have been an earlier formulation, wouldn't even give me a serviceable lather.  I'm sure that Rod has gotten things dialed in since my last purchase, but I already have way too many soaps in rotation and reserve to be ordering more to figure out.

139 2,680
 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
Congrats Primo. Stirling Soaps, and owner Rod are a good example of what one man can do (with help from his wife of course) to step out of the Army and embark on a new endeavor to provide us with a memorable shave experience. To date, the absolute slickest soap I have ever applied to my face or head is Scots Pine Sheep soap. In this particular soap he uses mutton tallow in lieu of beef tallow. I purchased one of his Electric Sheep soaps and it reminds me a bit of modern Williams (in terms of citronella scent). I havent used it yet. Glastonbury is a very unique scent. I love it. I love it so much I cant bring myself to use it. It spent last summer on my shelf with a hole torn in its plastic to remind me of its wonderful scent. About a month ago I finished unwrapping it and pressed it into my shave mug. Still a wonderfully rich and unique scent that I havent found anywhere else. 

I try to always mug lather any soap no matter the brand or type whenever possible. Stirling lends itself to this principal quite easily. I have never had a problem achieving an acceptable shave lather from Stirling while mug lathering. I have seen multiple load+scuttle=I cant lather Stirling threads. While I am certainly no self described expert, Stirling should be mug lathered for best results. In addition, I dont know if fellas only alot themselves 2.5 minutes for a shave and if they cant lather it in 45 seconds they proclaim it a failure, but I have never had issues with Stirling Soap.

When you start on the Stirling experience, it is a rewarding one. Thank you Primo for calling out a one man band that works hard to ensure every single puck he puts out satisfies the buyer. 

8 169
 03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
Oldschoolsteel - their newest formula is a softer puck and, in my opinion, should erase any lingering complaints people might have regarding the lathering ease of Stirling soaps if they give it a try.  It lathers as easily as anything else in my den (which includes B&M, Soapy Bathman, and CRSW, for reference).  I also live in CO with semi-hard water.

And I'll just mention this again also, although I know I posted it recently, but his newest "Cocoa Forest" scent is tremendous.

16 249
 03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
User Info
After a bunch of samples I bought a puck of vanilla sandalwood, barbershop, and sharp dressed man. I'm still burning through the samples.

However I also have some Mike's on the way. This may be a hard choice based on what I've read.

4 146
 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 01:53 PM)Olschoolsteel Wrote: There will be members opine on this thread that thump their masculine chest that swear they cant get a lather from Stirling,

I wonder if those are the same people that can't get a good lather from Mitchells Wool Fat... Both MWF and Stirling are as easy to lather as any. 

18 713
 03-02-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
My favorite has been the Anise. It reminds me of sitting around the dinner table with a bunch of your old Italian family sipping after dinner Sambuca listening of stories from the old country.

I got a sample of Ozark Mountain, if you love Christmas trees, this is for you. I wish I got a full puck.

1 4
 03-02-2015, 05:28 PM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 05:17 PM)Javellin Wrote: My favorite has been the Anise. It reminds me of sitting around the dinner table with a bunch of your old Italian family sipping after dinner Sambuca listening of stories from the old country.

I got a sample of Ozark Mountain, if you love Christmas trees, this is for you. I wish I got a full puck.

Must be a hate it or love it scent. I just had to throw that one away.

18 713
 03-02-2015, 05:51 PM
User Info
Just received my first order from Stirling this afternoon. I went with Sharp Dressed Man (puck, balm and AS). Looking forward to tomorrow morning's shave! The added bath soap sampler was a very classy surprise. Fast shipping was an added bonus. I predict I'll be a regular customer for a long time!

0 27
 03-02-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
I have been using Stirling shaving soaps for several months (& several scents), and it's easily tied for first place with anything I've tried. Great scents, terrific lather and, as mentioned before, that wonderful consistency allowing you to plunk the whole puck in a bowl, or mold it into any container you like.

I favor GLASTONBURY, SHARP DRESSED MAN, and BONAPARTE scents myself, and I got several lovely samples of bath soaps with my order. It's tallow based too, and wonderful in the bath. I've even begun using their aftershave balm. All their stuff's very good and I will always want a few of their shaving soaps in my rotation.
Euro

5 395
 03-02-2015, 07:41 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Congrats on discovering Stirling! 

I've been using their soap for about a year now, with the last 6-7 months being my exclusive shave soap. Heart  All of my other soaps just sit in the drawer, unused. I never really have the urge to buy soap, other than more Stirling of course. Honestly, with the performance, scent variety and low cost..I do not see a need for other soaps...in my den anyway. Biggrin 

I rotate through 6-7 scents, my favorites have to be Glastonbury, Anise and Stirling Spice.  

31 1,510
 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM
User Info
So, Primo, do you like the soap?  Biggrin

82 21,056
 03-03-2015, 05:53 AM
User Info
(03-02-2015, 09:36 PM)celestino Wrote: So, Primo, do you like the soap?  Biggrin
I do. Figaroqua sent me a sample of the Lampasas (which I no longer see on the website). This was my first experience with Stirling soap. I had a difficult time getting enough product onto my brush, but I remember thinking that the scent was top notch. Not until I received the full puck of Glastonbury, did I discover the ease with which I was able to get a terrific lather. I am an old hippie anyway, having lived on Haight street for a while, so I am particularly attracted to the patchouli scent int he Glastonbury. Compared to Mama Bear's patchouli, Stirling has an extra "note" of something that softens the blow of straight patchouli. I will definitely keep Stirling soaps in my rotation and am looking forward to discovering some different scents that Rod and Mandy come up with. Last point, it just proves that a soap needn't cost upwards of $50.00 to be a winner. 

39 3,883
 03-03-2015, 07:35 AM
User Info
Got my Glastonbury sample in last night with my Barbershop puck, AS, and bath soap.

Loving the Glastonbury scent and SWMBO is in love with it too, so that's always a bonus Cool 

5 49
 03-03-2015, 07:56 AM
User Info
great, another soap on my list now... haha

2 60
 03-03-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
(03-03-2015, 07:56 AM)BlackHelmet Wrote: great, another soap on my list now... haha
It's terrific.  Biggrin

39 3,883
 03-08-2015, 09:37 PM
User Info
Stirling has some fantastic soaps. 

11 132
 03-10-2015, 05:19 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
For the price per puck its very hard to beat. Also lasts a long time!

10 963