06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've never shaved my head but I will be forced to for four months starting in August. I know I could shave it with a DE but I simply will not have time for that. I probably won't have time for a DE shave either and I'm planning on using a Trac 2 or ATRA type razor and Cremo Cream/Billy Jealosuly Hydroplane for the majority of my face shaves during this period. So my question for head shavers out their is what's the best cartridge to use for the head. I am looking for something that's fast and does a good job as showing up to the Academy with Stubble is not an option.

45 3,955
 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 06:01 PM)tgutc Wrote: I've never shaved my head but I will be forced to for four months starting in August. I know I could shave it with a DE but I simply will not have time for that. I probably won't have time for a DE shave either and I'm planning on using a Trac 2 or ATRA type razor and Cremo Cream/Billy Jealosuly Hydroplane for the majority of my face shaves during this period. So my question for head shavers out their is what's the best cartridge to use for the head. I am looking for something that's fast and does a good job as showing up to the Academy with Stubble is not an option.

TRAC II. It does not pivot or flex so you reduce the chances of it going in a direction you don't expect. The after market handles are great and the cartridges are good and plentiful.

I have many TRAC II handles but this one is my favorite.

I head shave also and this works well because it is substantial and gives you some reach with the length.

[Image: 41hPxVKaaoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

http://www.amazon.com/Heavyweight-Chrome...886&sr=8-1

1 2,827
 06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
For me,the Wilkinson Extreme 3,Quatrro Titanium or the new Hydro 3.

86 7,123
 06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(06-06-2012, 06:09 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 06:01 PM)tgutc Wrote: I've never shaved my head but I will be forced to for four months starting in August. I know I could shave it with a DE but I simply will not have time for that. I probably won't have time for a DE shave either and I'm planning on using a Trac 2 or ATRA type razor and Cremo Cream/Billy Jealosuly Hydroplane for the majority of my face shaves during this period. So my question for head shavers out their is what's the best cartridge to use for the head. I am looking for something that's fast and does a good job as showing up to the Academy with Stubble is not an option.

TRAC II. It does not pivot or flex so you reduce the chances of it going in a direction you don't expect. The after market handles are great and the cartridges are good and plentiful.

I head shave also and this works well because it is substantial and gives you some reach with the length.

Thank you. Since I planned on using a Trac II for my face this is good news. I will most likely buy one of those handles. Are the blades available local or is there a good place to but them online?

45 3,955
 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 06:26 PM)tgutc Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 06:09 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:

Thank you. Since I planned on using a Trac II for my face this is good news. I will most likely buy one of those handles. Are the blades available local or is there a good place to but them online?

Online is the only place I have found those.
The fact that it is back heavy is really a plus on a cartridge razor because you are applying some more pressure than a DE so the feel in your hand is solid.

1 2,827
 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
Headblade Sport with Gillette Atra Carts (Not the headblade branded triple blade type carts)

I can headshave fairly quick when in a hurry

The key is ultimately you're getting as much fast ATG action as possible mostly using short quick strokes

1.Short fast back and forth strokes,from front to back like sanding wood.If you do this while also sweeping side to side and gradually progressing from the front of your head towards the back,the top will be stubble free quickly.

2.Same action back of head starting at the neckline - you're sweeping side to side while also moving towards top of head to meet where you stopped before.

3.Long smooth strokes on the sides (Above ears) going front to back and back to front.

4.Hit anything that's left in whatever way's most effective.

* To obtain perfection,I like to hit both sides of head ATG with a moderately agressive DE closed comb-I really like the CC side of the iKon OSS for this.

My stubble will return quickly without a good shave.....My head's still pretty darn smooth as I type this almost 15 hours after shaving this morning.

7 414
 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info

Be sure to prepare your head using a good set of clippers to get close and then an electric razor if possible to get closer then finally the TRAC II.

After that it becomes easy to do every day along with using it on your face.

1 2,827
 06-07-2012, 08:42 PM
User Info
i do not shave my head with a razor, but i have seen this crazy and unique item. i thought you might want to check it out. i know nothing about it. Good luck.

http://www.headblade.com/

75 20,883
 06-08-2012, 03:15 AM
User Info
(06-07-2012, 08:42 PM)celestino Wrote: i do not shave my head with a razor, but i have seen this crazy and unique item. i thought you might want to check it out. i know nothing about it. Good luck.

http://www.headblade.com/

Video's goofy,but if you headshave and feel the need for speed those work extremely well,definitely not a gimmick.Although it's not really necessary I'll also hit the sides of my head ATG with my DE razor on a 2nd pass to get extra smooth.

I get my headshave done quickly and effectively while my face lather softens whiskers,then on to a great face shave with the OSS.

7 414
 06-08-2012, 04:45 AM
User Info
Tgutc, from what I read you are only taking one razor for both head shaving and face shaving, correct?

1 2,827
 06-08-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
Quattro titanium. Used ti shave my face with these, got a bunch for $1 per cartridge. One lasts 1 month for me, YMMV

1 63
 06-08-2012, 06:23 AM
User Info
When I shaved my head I used a Quattro and it shaved me smooth and nick free. If you use Trac-II you can use the Wilkinson Sword carts that are sold at Walmart. They fit both the Atra and Trac-II. 10-pack goes for $5.

Clayton

6 617
 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(06-08-2012, 04:45 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: Tgutc, from what I read you are only taking one razor for both head shaving and face shaving, correct?

That is correct. I'm looking for something that gives a good shave on my face (as good as a cartridge can be) that also works well for head shaving. But speed is also a crucial factor.

45 3,955
 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 10:24 AM)tgutc Wrote:
(06-08-2012, 04:45 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: Tgutc, from what I read you are only taking one razor for both head shaving and face shaving, correct?

That is correct. I'm looking for something that gives a good shave on my face (as good as a cartridge can be) that also works well for head shaving. But speed is also a crucial factor.

The double bladed TRAC II is the most like a fixed injector razor since it was patterned after it in the early 1970s. The handle I showed is a solid handle that looks great and performs great and the cartridges are available world wide at a reasonable price (especially the Wilkinson carts as was mentioned earlier). I use this razor for head shaving frequently and sometimes for face shaving when I need to get out the door quickly. Not as good of a shave as DE or injector, but better than the three to six bladed units that cause my face issues.

Good fortune.

1 2,827
 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
Schick Hydro

9 451