03-04-2015, 07:54 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Primotenore's thread on what piece of gear I would immediately replace with exactly the same item got me to thinking. I have a lot of hardware and software I would replace right away. I have some that I would replace with something sort of the same. (A NEW LC, but without a crack in the handle, for instance.) But I do have a small list of things that can't really be replaced. Soaps that have been discontinued or "improved". I have a favorite old boar brush, (an Omega 10065) and despite my attempts to buy a "back-up" for it, none seem to break in in quite the same way. 50's Super Speeds are a dime a dozen, but there is only one that my father left me. Stuff like that. When I get home tonight, I'll try to add a picture or two to make the thread more interesting. So what is in your den that is irreplaceable to you?

0 272
 03-04-2015, 07:59 AM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I have my grandfather's straight razor, made in his hometown of Strasbourg, Alsace.  Absolutely irreplaceable.

4 194
 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM
User Info
I don't think I need to mention this as everyone knows this by now, but I would consider not shaving any longer if I lost my Weber DLCs..........or start using straight razors, full time! Biggrin
Similarly, I would consider not posting my SOTD pics if I had to give up my Oscar11 All-Amber handles! Blush

...................Whew! What a relief! I just realized that this will never happen! How fortunate I am, indeed!

83 21,110
 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(03-04-2015, 07:59 AM)dajmacd Wrote: I have my grandfather's straight razor, made in his hometown of Strasbourg, Alsace.  Absolutely irreplaceable.

Indeed!  My father's J.A.Henckel's "415" razor would be my choice.  Even though it's not as sharp as some of my other straights, I get a smile every time I use it.

47 1,949
 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
*&%! happens and we're all going to die eventually.

I have a collection of about 7 or 8 straights that belonged to my wife's grandfather. Five of them turned to total through-and-through rust in a flood at our house a number of years ago. They were stored in a box that I only rediscovered last year.

I was really bummed out at their ruin. On the other hand, everything is ephemeral and eventually I'll also turn dust and rust. You, too. No amount of mineral oil smeared on your soul or body will prevent your mortal coil from ending up like those razors.

In the grand scheme of things, though these razors were truly irreplaceable in a certain sense (they traced her grandfather's migration from Illinois to NY/NJ and probably also reflected his own father's heritage in Germany/Prussia), in the end they are just stuff.

Anyway, a few survived and will eventually get sent off for honing and maybe a little restoration.

Life is short. Though TSN might sometimes lead us to believe otherwise, none of us are really just the aggregation of our accumulated stuff (well most of us anyway). Do I covet my stuff just like the next guy or gal? Yup. Does it really amount to anything in the end? Nope. Life goes on.

So, to quote my pal Celestino, "Laughter, Love and Shaving."

Patek Philippe has a tag line in their ads that reads, roughly, "you never really own a Patek Philippe ... you're simply taking care of it for the next generation." Unless you're not. 

It's all temporary.

If I have convinced anyone that you are wasting your precious time collecting more stuff, do please PM me if you have butterscotch vintage Simpson brushes that are messing with your karma. I will free your soul from the burdens of those earthly belongings.

11 517
 03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
These would be the items that I would label as "irreplaceable" simply due to sentimental value. All can be replaced with similar items...but not that I would want that.

[Image: eb7140055b68ba03493a8da5461d1b10.jpg]

The Colonel was a gift from my wife, back when Mark first got in Manchurian hair, a few years ago. She contacted him and had this brush made. It means a lot that she did that as she is a bit neophobic, so calling him up would have been no easy feat...especially since she knew nothing of shave brushes.

The Gem is a gift from my oldest brother...who constantly went out of his way to help me and my wife out. It just means a lot and is a constant reminder of his caring nature.

The Valet is my grandpa's razor (paternal). I never knew him, but to have something of his is still cool anyway.

1 608
 03-04-2015, 09:30 PM
User Info
Well stated, Rob! My son's collection will multiple with Weber DLCs and Oscar11 Amber brushes once I have my final shave an, oh, how sweet that will be if he can perform it for me!  Thumbup

83 21,110
 03-04-2015, 10:11 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoy trying new gear as much as the next guy, but none of it is irreplaceable. Some day I'll bag it all up and donate it to a charity, and move on. 

38 5,198
 03-04-2015, 10:23 PM
User Info
I was going to say that nothing I have is irreplaceable, but that isn't true.

All are handles. 2 Oscar11 handled brushes and 1 prototype SS handle from across the pond.

32 6,470
 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
Love this thread, Rob. All will be going to my son, when it's time and then he'll be doing the same! We're keeping it in the family!

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM
User Info
(03-04-2015, 10:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: I enjoy trying new gear as much as the next guy, but none of it is irreplaceable. Some day I'll bag it all up and donate it to a charity, and move on. 

Richard, do you mean when you decide to grow a full-beard?! Biggrin

83 21,110
 03-05-2015, 03:20 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
some things, I guess I could  acquire a similar version,  but can't actually be "replaced". i.e., a couple of near pristine Gem razors, left to me by my Dad.
I still have a Black Beauty that I received as a gift when I was about 16, lots of miles on it, still looks almost new.
I suppose I could find one, but when you just have that one certain dog or horse that, though there may be others, when they are gone, well, they're .....gone.

another one, a NIB Henckels  #66 BN, also passed on to me, hard to replace, maybe not impossible ?

I have a bunch of NIP Schick L-1s, unless I lost them ALL at the same stroke I can just resupply from my own stash.
in the way of razors, until I try a HuntLee, there isn't much else I use on a day to day basis.

my son gets it all. he has no real interest in vintage shave gear, but he may like having it, especially his Grandfather's Gems.

0 1,291
 03-05-2015, 11:16 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(03-05-2015, 09:37 AM)celestino Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 10:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: I enjoy trying new gear as much as the next guy, but none of it is irreplaceable. Some day I'll bag it all up and donate it to a charity, and move on. 

Richard, do you mean when you decide to grow a full-beard?! Biggrin

I did have a full beard for 10 years until the Navy made us shave them off in the early 80's. I don't dare grow one now, as it's white as snow and I end up looking like Santa Claus. No, I shaved with two razors and a couple of different soaps for 50 years, and could easily do the same again. I'm having too much fun trying out products, but if it ever stops being fun, or if life circumstances pull me in a different direction, I could easily move on. I do have one razor tucked away for such a day. Other than my family, little else is irreplaceable. 

38 5,198
 03-06-2015, 01:42 AM
User Info
dateline=\1425626163 Wrote:[quote pid='508744' dateline='1425577042']
(03-04-2015, 10:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: Other than my family, little else is irreplaceable. 

[/quote]

Amen! 

65 799
 03-06-2015, 06:36 AM
User Info
This is quite a different question than I posed in my thread. One I feel is more difficult to answer, if at all. In my den there isn't anything with any kind of sentimentality, with the one exception of my beautiful hand-thrown scuttle that my niece made for me. Some of my shaving products get passed on to my son. Some I gift to friends, some I've relinquished on the Nook B/S/T and there have even been instances of a couple of products that simply got filed in the round file. But to answer the question: "What in my den is irreplaceable?" Answer: Nothing.

39 3,950
 03-06-2015, 07:21 AM
User Info
(03-04-2015, 10:38 AM)robk Wrote: *&%! happens and we're all going to die eventually.

I have a collection of about 7 or 8 straights that belonged to my wife's grandfather. Five of them turned to total through-and-through rust in a flood at our house a number of years ago. They were stored in a box that I only rediscovered last year.

I was really bummed out at their ruin. On the other hand, everything is ephemeral and eventually I'll also turn dust and rust. You, too. No amount of mineral oil smeared on your soul or body will prevent your mortal coil from ending up like those razors.

In the grand scheme of things, though these razors were truly irreplaceable in a certain sense (they traced her grandfather's migration from Illinois to NY/NJ and probably also reflected his own father's heritage in Germany/Prussia), in the end they are just stuff.

Anyway, a few survived and will eventually get sent off for honing and maybe a little restoration.

Life is short. Though TSN might sometimes lead us to believe otherwise, none of us are really just the aggregation of our accumulated stuff (well most of us anyway). Do I covet my stuff just like the next guy or gal? Yup. Does it really amount to anything in the end? Nope. Life goes on.

So, to quote my pal Celestino, "Laughter, Love and Shaving."

Patek Philippe has a tag line in their ads that reads, roughly, "you never really own a Patek Philippe ... you're simply taking care of it for the next generation." Unless you're not. 

It's all temporary.

If I have convinced anyone that you are wasting your precious time collecting more stuff, do please PM me if you have butterscotch vintage Simpson brushes that are messing with your karma. I will free your soul from the burdens of those earthly belongings.
Just as we cherish our ancestors collections, so too will our progeny cherish ours. Like Celestino, my Son's collection will grow after my last shave.

16 1,980
 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
To primo's original query: Gillette President, Gillette British no. 58, all of my vintage butterscotch Simpson brushes.

On the topic of sons, mine is responsible for me returning to DE brush-lathered shaving. His reasons were thrift. He has not (yet) been bitten by the collector's bug. He thinks I'm nuts in this regard (he's not wrong). If he doesn't mend his ways on this topic, his sister could end up with my collection. Ha ha....

11 517
 03-06-2015, 08:09 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-04-2015, 10:38 AM)robk Wrote: *&%! happens and we're all going to die eventually.

It's all temporary.

Once in Persia reigned a king
Who upon his signet ring,
Graved a maxim true and wise,
Which, if held before his eyes,
Gave him counsel at a glance,
Fit for every change and chance.
Solemn words, and these are they:
“Even this shall pass away.”

-- Theodre Tilton, 1904

1 1,110
 03-06-2015, 11:13 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
There's a lot in my den that is irreplaceable because they were handed down, or were gifts.

My Father in Law's Boker and Lady Gillette

[Image: 100_1757.JPG]

[Image: 100_1721.JPG]

My '64 Slim, won in a PIF from Herm 2502, and completely worked over by Captain Murphy.

[Image: 100_2084.JPG]

Old type. Again, a gift from a friend.

[Image: 100_2122.JPG]

E3 Schick(gift from friend)

[Image: 100_2285.JPG]

I have a couple of soaps that are one of a kind for me. The first is Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol. When I recieved it, it was one of a few in existence. This soap came into being as a special order from a friend, who gave it as a Christmas gift to a few of his friends, of whom I was one. It has since found it's way into semi regular production. But when mine is done it will be a sad day.
The second is Krampert's Frostbite. Mine is the Prototype version, which I won in a PIF from Brian here on TSN.
[Image: 100_2245.JPG]

I also have 3 Semogues given to me by a friend that are dear to me. Semogues are a dime a dozen, but these aren't. I could replace the brushes, but not the sentiment.

The last 6 items I mentioned(counting the 3 brushes as "one") were gifts from shaving friends all over the wet shaving community. They are special to me, and a reminder every time I use them of how lucky I am to be in this community among so many generous men of character.

2 1,695