03-04-2015, 04:41 PM
User Info
Hello everyone, I've only been using soaps for about a year and my collection consists of Proraso 'White Label', Cella, Soap Commander 'Respect', and Rustic Shaving 'Mahogany'. I've saved up a few pennies and want to treat myself by picking up 5-6 new soaps. I have a short list(which is actually pretty long) and was hoping you fellows could point me in the right direction by recommending  some from my list below.

Thanx in advance for any help or suggestions

Catie's Bubbles - Ocean Grove
Catie's Bubbles - LPV
Catie's Bubbles - Purple Grapefruit

Beer Soap Brewing - Bay Rum

B&M - Seville
B&M - Cheshire

Maggards - Lilac
Maggards - Orange Menthol

Razorock - XXX

Soap Commander - Endurance

Strop Shoppe - Russian Tea
Strop Shoppe - Baker Street
Strop Shoppe - Bay Rum

Mystic Water - Bay Rum
Mystic Water - Irish Traveller
Mystic Water - Sandalwood Rose

Tiki - Fougere
Tiki - Set Sail

TOBS - Grapefruit Shave

TSD - Angel Type
TSD - Bourbon Vanilla

PAA - The Ocean

Dapper Dragon - Signature

4 929
 03-04-2015, 06:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-04-2015, 04:41 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: want to treat myself by picking up 5-6 new soaps. I have a short list(which is actually pretty long) and was hoping you fellows could point me in the right direction by recommending  some from my list below.

Mystic Water - Bay Rum
Mystic Water - Bergamot, Cedarwood & Juniper

Excellent selection there.  I'd go with the last of the three.

1 1,109
 03-04-2015, 07:19 PM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
I really enjoy Catie's Purple Grapefruit. Nice subtle scent with a little tartness to it. Really great stuff. The matching AS is available too.

26 261
 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM
User Info
   Nice selection, but, may I add……

Latha soap

KFBR Bay Rum and Frostbite soap.

Soap Commander Endurance is a great soap too.

2 226
 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM
  • fwp3
User Info
You need to try Catie's Bubbles and B&M. Two of my favorite soaps! Strop Shoppe is great as well!

1 14
 03-04-2015, 09:38 PM
User Info
Any of the Mystic Water ones, but my favourite is Bay Rum.
However, you have a great collection to choose from and you won't go wrong with any unless you don't get on with the scents. 
There are also quite a few other artisanal soaps that are not on your list that you will have to try.
Have fun!  Thumbup

83 21,109
 03-05-2015, 05:22 AM
User Info
(03-04-2015, 04:41 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: Hello everyone, I've only been using soaps for about a year and my collection consists of Proraso 'White Label', Cella, Soap Commander 'Respect', and Rustic Shaving 'Mahogany'. I've saved up a few pennies and want to treat myself by picking up 5-6 new soaps. I have a short list(which is actually pretty long) and was hoping you fellows could point me

Catie's Bubbles - Ocean Grove  : probably very nice
Catie's Bubbles - LPV             : not, because if possible allergic reactions due to the spices involved
Catie's Bubbles - Purple Grapefruit : oh. yeah!

B&M - Seville
B&M - Cheshire  : both supposed to be good

Maggards - Lilac
Maggards - Orange Menthol  : should be both good soaps

Razorock - XXX  : oh, yeah

Soap Commander - Endurance  : NO, again spices and IMO only good for fans of an Old Spice type scent

Strop Shoppe - Russian Tea  : I want that one myself

Mystic Water - Bay Rum
Mystic Water - Sandalwood Rose  : no idea, never tried any MW

Tiki - Fougere
Tiki - Set Sail     : I have Fougere and it is an ok Soap

TOBS - Grapefruit Shave  : good quality cream, easy lather and supposedly very nice scent (I have all TOBS except this and Rose)

PAA - The Ocean  :  Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements have created a few products I like indeed, however, no experience with this product

Dapper Dragon - Signature: supposedly very good product

I have commented on quite a few of which I know, others I have deleted or inserted something like "supposed to be..."
I would get a  Caties Bubbles soap in any case because of the great soap base. Triple X by razorock is not as strongly scented as it used to be but a standard, again just a solid great performer.
The Endurance and LPV soaps I both have and cannot use due to skin irritation, plus the Endurance is a scent that doesn´t appeal to me at all.
I would include a Shaver heaven soap. These are the new kid on the block and the owner does indeed try to beat the ball out of the park: strong scents and excellent performance

21 1,175
 03-06-2015, 10:20 AM
User Info
Nice list, going to be hard to narrow that down I think. The ones I have experience with and really like are Tiki and Strop Shoppe, both really great performance. I'd recommend Salty air over Surfs up on the Tiki if you like a scented soap. Surfs up is basically an unscented soap but scent preferences are very individualistic.  There are a lot of great artisan soaps available these days, some others that might be worth looking into are:

> Mickey Lee soap
> Stirling (great soap and great value)
> Mikes Natural Soap (great tallow soap)
> Mitchel's Wool Fat (not artisan but a standard a lot of soaps are compared to)
> And another non artisan but a personal favorite is Pre De Provence. Great soap and will last forever

Sorry to further complicate your decision....

4 105
 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM
User Info
Nice list. I have most of those and if I had to go back in time I'd still buy:

MW Bay Rum (Sardinian Honey is nice too)
CB LPV
-those two have a similar sweet spicy vibe

The two Tiki scents you have listed aren't my favorites. I prefer The Captain (tallow) because the scent is robust but also similar to the two above so it might be redundant. I do like the scent more than MW Bay Rum.

BSBC is now Country Club for Men. I don't see bay rum on the site but my favorite is La Habana. It's a masculine tobacco, not the sweet pipe tobacco type note in the ones above.

You also have a bunch of citrus scents listed. XXX is a great value but if you really want to treat yourself then maybe a citrus based scent from CRSW.

Last, I'd get Shannon's Soaps Silk Pajamas or even the unscented based purely on it's unique performance.

I find these to be the best performers and scents out of the bunch. Good luck deciding

4 355
 03-07-2015, 03:57 AM
User Info
i would try the razorock - for me great value for money soaps that perform brilliantly

2 67
 03-11-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
Thanx for the suggestions everyone, I already have a few soaps on the way!!

4 929
 03-11-2015, 06:45 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I suggest you get as many samples as you can...before buying full pucks or tubs.  Maggard razors is a good place to start. They have samples of many artisan soaps as well as the classics.

169 1,424
 03-11-2015, 07:33 PM
User Info
I really really really enjoy the B&M line.  The new "Latha" is fantastic, and CHEAP!

2 50
 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM
  • cnj01
  • Central California
User Info
Cold River Soap Works

11 68
 03-11-2015, 07:50 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Signs011

Or

Any of the Razorock Soaps. XXX has a great scent.  Biggrin

29 1,627
 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM
User Info
I would try Cold River Soap Works and Razorock too.
Also look at some of the TFS/Mondial soaps/croaps. Great stuff too.

Also consider Castle Forbes and DR HARRIS.

But you have already set your eyes on some excellent alternatives, mate

24 6,018