03-05-2015, 04:18 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Looking to add another Feather Dx (and a Mongoose) to exploit the ease of disposable blades...  I have a Dx Kamisori.

In my search for another Dx, I am wondering if I can consider another Kami and make a set of custom scales for it..  What's under the rubber handle?  Are the folding and non-folding Dx's the same blade with different handles?  

33 914
 03-05-2015, 04:52 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
From the search I have done, it appears as though the kamisori is not simply a folder with a rubber grip. Judging by where the the engraved logo starts on the shank of the folder and that the logo plate on the handle of the Kami seems to be part of the shank...these two are uniquely different blades...

Can anyone confirm?

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 03-05-2015, 09:55 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Can't remember who it was but someone has stripped the Japanese version and made it into a folder some years ago.

28 1,433
 03-05-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
I had never even thought about doing this! Good luck, Mike! Smile

82 21,056
 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
I've not heard it done with a Feather DX, bit it is possible to add scales to a CJB Kamisori.

But, obviously the CJB doesn't have the same build quality.

1 93
 03-05-2015, 03:08 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thanks gents... The CJB is not something I would put that much attention into. I had one and the build quality isn't enough to make it a long term keeper for me.

For that matter, I am not ready to chance my Dx Kami... Hoping someone who has done it can shed some light...

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 03-06-2015, 03:24 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Conclusion....  For those interested...  On another forum I was advised "I took the rubber off one of the feather kamis, and scaled it. ..... Nothing weird under there. The logo had to be ground off if I remember correctly. The 'tang' is straight, which works fine but it's a little weird looking."

So with that said, I am not going to pursue the Kami as a donor for a rescale..

33 914