03-05-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
Hello All,

I am experiencing issues with my TSN LE P8, which I love. I have been using it regularly but not heavily (usually for Sunday shaves since I find it particularly pleasant when I haven't shaved for a day) since I first purchased it when it was released. In the last 2 to 3 months I have noticed it has started shedding hairs at an alarming rate (often more than 10 hairs per shave) despite never having shed any significant number of hairs in the first year. Nothing has changed as far as I can remember in the way I use, clean, or store the brush.

I exclusively face lather, mostly hard soaps. I haven't been mashing the brush or lathering harshly. After my shave I shake the water out of the brush, dry gently on a soft towel and then allowed the brush to dry completely on the bathroom counter before storing in the cabinet. I tried gently combing out the knot and that did not seem to help. I have used the brush for a week straight now hoping the loose hairs would all work out but it is not getting any better. today the brush shed at least 10 hairs during the shave and maybe that many more when I shook it out after the shave. I feel like the brush is falling apart right in my hand.

Has anyone else experience this with this brush? What can I do? It seems like a brush of this quality should not have this problem. I really like the brush and am looking forward to using it for years to come but at this rate I am not going to have a knot left by the end of the year. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Travis

0 22
 03-05-2015, 01:11 PM
User Info
Contact Mark - the MD at Simpson, he will be able to help you :-)
He's a member here. Think his profile name is Simpson and the year Simpson was founded.

24 5,849
 03-05-2015, 01:16 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(03-05-2015, 01:11 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Contact Mark - the MD at Simpson, he will be able to help you :-)
He's a member here. Think his profile name is Simpson and the year Simpson was founded.

That's your best course of action and the only realistic way to resolve the problem.

5 884
 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM
User Info
Have you been using circles??? Winky  Nah, just kidding. I hope you can get it resolved. That is a nice brush and I used to have one.

79 1,297
 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Greetings Travis , I also think you should call Mark from Simpson ! Your brush have one year warranty if you could provide the original receipt ! Just check their website for warranty information! I think they can redo the knot for you .
Good luck.

10 415
 03-05-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
When you contact Mark, emphasize that you're continuing to wash and comb-out the knot and the shedding continues. That's been his first recommendation for shedding knots, as it was to me when my Grosvenor LE began to lose it. And as it was in my case, it sounds like you're already past that stage and are looking at a re-knot. Good luck.

29 1,776
 03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Three of my four Simpson brushes all shed on the first use and have not since other than the occasional hair. I am interested to here the outcome and hope mine stay together since I do enjoy them

7 444
 03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
User Info
Thanks for the quick responses. I have contacted Mark and will await his reply.

Travis

0 22
 03-05-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
Good luck and keep us informed how this gets resolved.

39 3,877
 03-05-2015, 04:59 PM
User Info
I had a brush do that (Saville Row) and tried every method to get it to stop...It didn't.

Since you are original owner, hopefully Mark takes care of you.

8 2,718
 03-05-2015, 08:20 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I had a Simpson Duke 2 in best that was a shedder, but Simpson took care of it. I sent it in and it came back with a beautiful knot.

71 1,468
 03-05-2015, 08:43 PM
User Info
Best of luck resolving this issue. 

82 21,056
 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
I'm not sure why the wash and comb method is suggested so often, if I have a shedding brush wich I have rarely in the past, it typically loses 15-20 hairs a use. I Never found washing and combing to do anything for this issue. I can see maybe a new brush that is losing 3-5 hairs per shave maybe this would help but typically every brush I have ever had stops shedding the first few hairs at shave three or so.

60 1,410
 03-10-2015, 06:36 PM
User Info
Wow, that's a nice brush!  I can't beleive its losing all those hairs every shave.  I am using a cheapo Escali brush that loses 1-2 hairs every 2-3 shaves.  OP let us know what the outcome is.  I want to get a Simpson brush one day!!

3 218
 03-10-2015, 06:38 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-10-2015, 05:21 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I'm not sure why the wash and comb method is suggested so often, if I have a shedding brush wich I have rarely in the past, it typically loses 15-20 hairs a use. I Never found washing and combing to do anything for this issue. I can see maybe a new brush that is losing 3-5 hairs per shave maybe this would help but typically every brush I have ever had stops shedding the first few hairs at shave three or so.

I believe the wash and comb method is to eliminate the possibility of there being a buildup of crud in the base of the brush causing the hairs to break.  I'm not sure how sound the theory is, but it seems like a good one.

139 2,677