03-06-2015, 10:58 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I would like to suggest that we limit each member to one thread at a time to offer items for sale or trade.  Listing a bunch of items singularly just bumps other members threads to page 2 and since we can't bump our own threads for seven days it gets quite frustrating when members post up several individual threads.  I don't see any good reason why all of these threads shouldn't be combined, the title length limit is certainly long enough to mention several of the items for sale.  Does anybody else feel the same or am I just getting grumpy in my young-middle-agedness?  

139 2,677
 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
I'd agree with this idea.  I never understood the rationale for multiple threads unless the seller just wanted more real estate on the BST screen.

16 249
 03-06-2015, 11:28 AM
User Info
I prefer a bit of structure and limits too.

8 2,718
 03-06-2015, 11:30 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Mod team has noted this trend increasing recently .. we are working on amendment to BST rules.

Thank you.

102 18,552
 03-06-2015, 03:53 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-06-2015, 11:30 AM)Agravic Wrote: Mod team has noted this trend increasing recently .. we are working on amendment to BST rules.

Thank you.

Yes. We continue to evolve so bear with us. Smile

2 11,211
 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I dunno, I prefer the 1 item per thread approach.  Dodgy

10 753
 03-06-2015, 04:08 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(03-06-2015, 10:58 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I would like to suggest that we limit each member to one thread at a time to offer items for sale or trade.  Listing a bunch of items singularly just bumps other members threads to page 2 and since we can't bump our own threads for seven days it gets quite frustrating when members post up several individual threads.  I don't see any good reason why all of these threads shouldn't be combined, the title length limit is certainly long enough to mention several of the items for sale.  Does anybody else feel the same or am I just getting grumpy in my young-middle-agedness?  

Agreed.

31 1,510
 03-06-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
I don't think we have the volume of BST posts to warrant adding additional rules. I could understand if someone was listing individual soaps, but I haven't seen anything particularly egregious and I am on the BST all the time....more as a Buyer than as a Seller.

64 337
 03-06-2015, 05:25 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-06-2015, 04:05 PM)grantmm Wrote: I dunno, I prefer the 1 item per thread approach.  Dodgy
I don't mind one item per thread, it's just annoying when one seller posts several threads consecutively knocking other threads to the 2nd page where they will be ignored until bumped again.

139 2,677
 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
(03-06-2015, 05:00 PM)longhorn123 Wrote: I don't think we have the volume of BST posts to warrant adding additional rules. I could understand if someone was listing individual soaps, but I haven't seen anything particularly egregious and I am on the BST all the time....more as a Buyer than as a Seller.

+1 ,

61 3,072
 03-06-2015, 05:46 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-06-2015, 04:05 PM)grantmm Wrote: I dunno, I prefer the 1 item per thread approach.  Dodgy

I agree, with a modification.  I prefer a thread to have either one item or a single class of itmes such as soaps or razors. 

I don't care for threads that have soap, razors and brushes all in one posting.

57 1,564
 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
My post was actually an underhanded jab at a site that uses a system that rhymes with aaaa-choo.

*shifty eyes*

10 753
 03-08-2015, 03:30 AM
User Info
(03-06-2015, 10:58 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I would like to suggest that we limit each member to one thread at a time to offer items for sale or trade.  Listing a bunch of items singularly just bumps other members threads to page 2 and since we can't bump our own threads for seven days it gets quite frustrating when members post up several individual threads.  I don't see any good reason why all of these threads shouldn't be combined, the title length limit is certainly long enough to mention several of the items for sale.  Does anybody else feel the same or am I just getting grumpy in my young-middle-agedness?  

What does "one thread at a time" mean?  Does this mean I couldn't post another thread until I either sold or removed my previous thread?  If so I think this would greatly diminish the quality of our BST. 
Having recently been one of those guys that posted a bunch of different threads in a short period of time I was approached by Nick and politely asked to consider that I had monopolized the entire front page of the BST.  To be honest with you this had never crossed my mind as being a problem.  However, having been taught by Nick about the problem I clearly understand now what the problem is.  In my estimation this problem, in reality, does not happen all that often.  I think a one-thread limit would be a silly rule, we should try the approach of teaching the masses correct principles while continuing to allow them to govern themselves.  Simply stated, a banner at the top of the BST that reads "Please refrain from posting multiple threads on the same day" which if clicked on could give a simple, one-paragraph description of the problem, is likely to be more effective than a specific rule whose only result would be decreasing the quality of the BST. My guess is most offenders are oblivious to the problem they are creating, just like I was. I would also wager that if properly educated as to the problem most individuals would comply.

One last thing to mention, I detest looking through BST post that have 150 products listed, along with poor photos and almost no description. Please don't make us do it this way!!!

73 2,196
 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM
User Info
My two cents, for what it's worth. Firstly, I am not a big B/S/T seller, but I have been a buyer, however I did not join the Nook for the B/S/T forum. It's my opinion that this site is turning into one big marketplace. I find it difficult to believe that that was the original intention of the creators. I think there need to be strictly enforced guidelines that protect the integrity of this site; protect the buyer and put some clearly defined restrictions on the sellers so that they don't usurp our forum. To be clear, I am NOT against the B/S/T section, I simply don't want the Nook to become the "Bay". As usual, these are only my opinions, nothing more. Please take them with a grain of salt.  Angel

39 3,875
 03-09-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
(03-08-2015, 03:30 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 10:58 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I would like to suggest that we limit each member to one thread at a time to offer items for sale or trade.  Listing a bunch of items singularly just bumps other members threads to page 2 and since we can't bump our own threads for seven days... 

"In my estimation this problem, in reality, does not happen all that often.  I think a one-thread limit would be a silly rule, we should try the approach of teaching the masses correct principles while continuing to allow them to govern themselves.  Simply stated, a banner at the top of the BST that reads...Please refrain from posting multiple threads on the same day...is likely to be more effective than a specific rule whose only result would be decreasing the quality of the BST. My guess is most offenders are oblivious to the problem they are creating.  I would also wager that if properly educated as to the problem most individuals would comply.   One last thing to mention, I detest looking through BST post that have 150 products listed, along with poor photos and almost no description. Please don't make us do it this way!!!"
I absolutely agree!  Nothing more difficult than wading through volumes of items for sale in one convoluted post.  Worse yet is if a rule were to be imposed that limits the number of items that can be listed in one thread.  That forces sellers to bundle items and increase the likelihood that buyers pass on the lot.  Buyers may have an interest in one or some of the items, but rarely all.   Another well known forum is going through this and it is a hinderance to both parties.   IMHO, leave things as they are.  This is actually the least restrictive shaving forum I've seen.  BST forum is a huge benefit for newer members looking to pick-up quality items and build up their den.  As a frequent buyer, I always browse through the previous pages to see what has been posted earlier.  Not an issue for me - plenty of good stuff  there!  This is a great BST, very well organized and superb threads by the sellers.  For my part, I feel fortunate to have this valuable asset available!  

8 72
 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM
User Info
Gents thanks for all of your kind words and feedback. If you check the announcements section you will see that we have restricted the number of BST threads open by any member to a quantity of three. We felt this was reasonable and I hope you will agree with us. We will continue to monitor the BST and your suggestions and always do what we think is in the best interest of our membership. We are grateful to have you here and hopefully this mild restriction will keep the BST fair to everyone. 

61 1,710
 03-10-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
I liked the 3 limit...I like the 1 even better.  Also, some forums limit the number of days before one can post a BST again.  Not sure we want to do this with the 1 limit.

Just a thought.

Ed

21 751
 03-10-2015, 03:29 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-10-2015, 03:26 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: I liked the 3 limit...I like the 1 even better.  Also, some forums limit the number of days before one can post a BST again.  Not sure we want to do this with the 1 limit.

Just a thought.

Ed

We don't want to do this with the new 3 limit.

175 23,752
 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The goal here is to not be too restrictive .. and we trust our members will be reasonable in terms of conduct.

102 18,552
 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM
User Info
(03-10-2015, 03:29 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(03-10-2015, 03:26 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: I liked the 3 limit...I like the 1 even better.  Also, some forums limit the number of days before one can post a BST again.  Not sure we want to do this with the 1 limit.

Just a thought.

Ed

We don't want to do this with the new 3 limit.
I agree - the more restrictions put on the BST threads, the harder it is for people (especially newbies)  to acquire what the more senior members have - a full and complete set-up of shaving items.  I find this area very entertaining, educational and a good source.  The three limit is a good compromise - well thought out! 

8 72