03-06-2015, 06:34 PM
User Info
So I have tried 3 Oral B, and a couple of different heads, and they all tickle me and just not seem to work for me.

So I ordered the Philips Sonicare Diamons Clean black edition with 4 extra black heads.

Anyone who has experience with this and who also have used the Braun Oral-B ?

Which one do you prefer ?

24 5,752
 03-06-2015, 07:58 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I actually went the other way Claus Blush ...

I used to have several Sonicare brushes in the past as I always thought they were the best.  My last was the Sonicare DiamonClean (not the black edition), and while I really liked the cool charging glass, it was very similar to my previous Sonicare brushes in terms of cleaning...didn't notice an improvement, despite the price jump.  I found the old Sonicare heads in my previous brushes to be horrible (the screw on ones), although they have improved with the newer snap in versions.  On my last dental exam my dentist told me I was brushing too hard...I told him what I was using, and long story short he recommended an Oral B, which he said cleans better than the Sonicare due to the shape and motion of the head and also has a pressure sensor to tell me if I'm brushing too hard.  I had never used an Oral B electric before, so I recently got the Pro 5000 SmartSeries and haven't looked back. 

For me, I got better results with the Oral B, and it has that pressure sensor which the DiamonClean didn't have and I find useful.  The Bluetooth feature in the Oral B is gimmicky (IMO), however I like everything else about it.  I feel like the heads can really get my teeth from all angles, whereas the Sonicare was just like a non-electric toothbrush and really needed to be manipulated to get that kind of coverage.  Also, my gums feel better.  Next time around I will probably upgrade to the 7000 (or whatever their flagship is at the time), but I will be staying with Oral B. 

My wife on the other hand prefers the Sonicare, so as always YMMV Smile

34 1,628
 03-07-2015, 04:43 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I like the oral b. No reason to try another. 

7 438
 03-07-2015, 05:16 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
SWMBO and I use an older model Sonicare and are quite happy with it.  It was recommended by our periodontist a few years ago; on my next visit in August I must ask him what he recommends today.  My regular dentist recommended that I use a Waterpik or similar device to clean between my teeth.  I bought a Philips and it works well and is a lot less messy than floss.

5 869
 03-07-2015, 08:53 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've used Sonicare for however long they've been available, with excellent results. However, after reading Giorgio's comments, I might try the Oral B for comparison, as I've probably been using too much pressure all these years. My gums feel the best when I also use a Waterpik.

38 4,987
 03-07-2015, 09:21 AM
User Info
I've used sonicare for years, on a recommendation from my hygienist, and have been very happy. Recently, however, I've had an increase in tartar in my front, lower teeth. I've been thinking of trying the oral b, so I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 222
 03-07-2015, 09:45 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(03-07-2015, 08:53 AM)evnpar Wrote: I've used Sonicare for however long they've been available, with excellent results. However, after reading Giorgio's comments, I might try the Oral B for comparison, as I've probably been using too much pressure all these years. My gums feel the best when I also use a Waterpik.

If you end up trying the Oral B, I will be very interested in reading your thoughts and comparison.  I had no idea I was using too much pressure, until my dentist asked me if I was right handed.  After seeing my confusion, he explained that the gums on my left side indicated I was using too much pressure on that region, and that I must be right-handed. 

My teeth are prone to coffee stains (and I am very prone to consume coffee Biggrin ), and I always end up with a minor accumulation of coffee stains (usually around imperfections) between check ups that they must remove...and lecture me on.  I am due for my next check up in a month, and I can see no coffee stains...so the Oral B is definitely an improvement on my end. 

The Sonicare always seemed to buzz my teeth clean, and just like Claus mentioned that the Oral B seemed to tickle him, I feel the same way about the Sonicare.  Despite using it for years, I never got used to that high pitched buzz and I always felt that tickle.  The Oral B on the other hand seems to SCRUB my teeth clean, with more comprehensive coverage and without that high pitch.  I have also become a fan of the different Oral B heads, my favorites being the Floss Action and the Cross Action Biggrin

34 1,628
 03-07-2015, 12:35 PM
User Info
Ohhhh noooo.......YMMV also applies to electric toothbrushes, I guess - WHAT A HUGE SURPRISE  Tongue Biggrin

I just found an offer for the topmodel Oral-B Pro 7000, now I also consider getting this in order for me to test both out side by side - what we wet shavers must go through in order for us to know what is the best of the best - it's a tough world out there  Wink

24 5,752
 03-07-2015, 08:54 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Indeed.  Thank you Claus for making a comparison of a very useful topic.

55 1,547
 03-08-2015, 10:07 AM
User Info
(03-07-2015, 08:54 PM)MaxP Wrote: Indeed.  Thank you Claus for making a comparison of a very useful topic.

Just purchased the Oral B Pro 7000 Black edition - comparison will come after testing them out head to head for a month or so.

My plan is to rotate them, Oral B in the evening, Sonicare in the morning - and then switch it around.

24 5,752
 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(03-08-2015, 10:07 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 08:54 PM)MaxP Wrote: Indeed.  Thank you Claus for making a comparison of a very useful topic.

Just purchased the Oral B Pro 7000 Black edition - comparison will come after testing them out head to head for a month or so.

My plan is to rotate them, Oral B in the evening, Sonicare in the morning - and then switch it around.

I cannot think of a better comparison (or two better e-toothbrushes to compare)!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts, Claus.

34 1,628
 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
Over the years I have had at least TWO Phillips Sonicare Electric Toothbrushes.
The first one lasted several years and when it stopped working I got another Sonicare. It was a better model (Which is NOT always true, especially now), and
it lasted about 3 years.
When it stopped working, I read some reviews and decided to buy the latest Braun Oral-B Model at the time, the Model 5000. After using it for almost TWO years (ordered March 27, 2013), I MUCH prefer it. I especially like the larger 'Heads' (I use the Oral-B Power DUAL Clean Head), but other heads are available. I find that it gives a more 'pronounced' cleaning action, and I am (now) not sure if the 'sonic action' of the Sonicare is real or 'marketing hype'. IF you order the heads (about $21 for THREE heads) on Amazon Subscribe & Save, you can have them come on a regular basis (which you can change, and you can even 'Skip' a delivery, as long as you keep track of and manage your subscription).

I would NOT buy a tooth brush from your dentist. I had a friend do this. I feel that they are (usually) much more expensive (than say, Amazon), AND I also think that you might end up with a 'older stock item' that has already been 'on the shelf' a long time (since your dentist does not sell as many as an on-line retailer) and, therefore, does not last as long due to reduced battery life.

BTW: I DID keep the UV cleaning holder/device from the Sonicare Toothbrush that I had previously and use that for my Oral-B heads to disinfect them. The heads do not fit as well, but you CAN get them to 'nest' in the device. I don't know how effective this works for cleaning or disinfecting the heads, but I figure that 'it can't hurt'.

Again YMMV, and I do not know how long the Oral-B will last, but it has been 'trouble-free' for two years.

41 364
 03-09-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
Sonicare Diamond Clean

11 519
 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I bought a Sonicare Diamond Clean at Costco after the very emphatic endorsement of both an orthodontist and my dentist. They both said it was their favorite "by far". Wife and I have been very happy and satisfied with it, although the brush heads are quite expensive. Costco carries them and every few months has a $10 off promotion, so they are 6 for $40 instead of 6 for $50.

60 843
 03-10-2015, 01:36 AM
User Info
Talked to my cousin who has been a dentist with own clinic for 20+ years. His advice: If you can afford it, buy and use both the Oral-B and the Philips Sonicare Diamond brushes.

He used both because both serves the same purpose, but have some unique added benefits.

The Sonicare is better for cleaning between the teeth and the sonic helps erase plaque in harder to reach places.

The Oral-B can be used with a smaller brush head which gives an improved cleaning of the teeth.

When I told him I bought both top models and intended to test them side by side, he said I did the right thing.
But advised to hold on to both and rotate them evening and morning.

24 5,752
 03-15-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
I have used the sonicares since they came out but after reading these posts I think I will try an Oral B.

14 97
 03-15-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
sonic care diamond. got mine at costco dirt cheap. its only the series 2 but works just as well as the others without all the fancy features, my neighbor and good friend is my dentist and this is what he recc'ed to me since i have very bad teeth. its not at all from not taking care of them either i always have very well taken care of them, but i have bad de-calcification where the fronts pop off very easy in small pieces. it runs in my family so most of my front teeth one by one are getting veneered as i can afford to do them. all the other brushes i have used made it much worse but with the sonic care so far is the only one that has not made it any worse and i have not had any issues in about 6 months now.

16 660
 04-12-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
I use the Oral-B 3000, a very nice toothbrush IMH

11 435
 04-12-2015, 05:54 PM
User Info
 04-13-2015, 12:50 AM
User Info
I have used a Sonicare for the past three years and cannot see myself going back to manual brushing.

9 201