06-06-2012, 10:22 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I'm asking this question because I have never tried very many of the razors that are out there. Right now I'm using a 1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable set on 3.

Question: Does each brand/type of razor have it's own "comfort" level? In other words if I have razor A and razor B is it possible that both razors will give me a nice close BBS shave but one will be perceived as more comfortable to shave with? Is this part of RAD?

0 396
 06-06-2012, 11:13 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Certain razors will work better for certain individuals and vice versa. For instance, due to my sensitive skin and not very coarse beard I prefer mild razors such as The Feather All Stainless and the EJ DE89. These are mild because they have a small "blade gap". This means there is less blade exposed to my skin than a more agressive razor. Everyone is different though and some people have a hard time with the Feather and can't get a BBS shave with it.

45 3,955
 06-07-2012, 02:12 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think there is a comfort level for certain razors. As Travis said, the shave with a DE89 is very comfortable. It's a more mild razor but gives an amazing shave with the right blade. There are a few that are uncomfortable to me. The 2011 R41 is one. It's an amazing shaver but for me the shave is very uncomfortable and very aggressive.

116 3,804
 06-07-2012, 03:57 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Each one of my razors bring out a different shave and comfort level.
For instance I find using my Superspeeds to be more comfortable then when I use my open comb razors.

I enjoy the shaves from each razor. Each razor has a different personality and a different feel of comfort. Each one is a joy to shave with.

1 3,507
 06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
Dave,

If you want to simulate an R41 with your Slim, set it to magical 9 and the R41 is still more aggressive than that. I like the exfoliating effect of the ultra close shave.

I don't know if I understand the question. Comfort is a very subjective feel and includes everything, blade, lather, pressure, soap, and probably things I'm not including, not only the razor.

Some folks just like different shaves. I like an extremely close shave and I want an aggressive razor for that. In fixed head the Gillette Old or New is about as mild as I want. With my Slim, I set it to 9, and I absolutely love the R41. I also like SE razors because most, but not all, have the aggressive level set pretty high. My blades are the sharpest and smoothest I can find. And my lather is like cake icing for the most protective qualities possible.

But technique needs to be 100% (that includes lather) or comfort will definitely be put on hold. But the shave is just outstanding and post shave feel to me is part of the comfort equation. Different strokes for different folks. Some just like a shave where the beard is reduced and they couldn't care about the "alive" feel of the face after an extremely close shave.

In order to find the razors I like, yes, RAD was involved because while folks can point me in the right direction, they don't know what makes Brian or Dave tick. Too, Some days I want to test my technique with an ultra aggressive razor and get the exfoliation that a shave like that produces, and other days I just want a razor that gives an OK shave. For me that would be a BBS that lasts for only a few hours rather than 8 or more. That's another reason for RAD.

Oh, and some of the old razors are really just too cool.

32 6,310
 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Thanks for all the info guys. Since I have an adjustable razor that can be set to many levels I simply wanted to know if other razors could still shave as well and as comfortably. I know the blade makes a difference and the prep makes a difference. What I wanted to know is if the razor itself makes a difference. I see that it does. I will wait until I get my skin used to DE shaving again and my technique is good before I try a more aggressive razor. I keep my Slim set on 3 so as you can see I have a ways to go with it yet!

Thanks again!

0 396
 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Biggrin

is it kind of like riding a bike?

Are there things that you remember from before, that have served you well now that you're into it again?

9 1,684
 06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-07-2012, 07:06 PM)gijames Wrote: Biggrin

Are there things that you remember from before, that have served you well now that you're into it again?

Yes it's very much like that. It didn't take me long to learn to manipulate the razor itself i.e. holding it at the proper angle. All that came back pretty quickly. In the past though I had very few options and no proper technique either so I'm finding there is a LOT to learn if you want to do it right. To me this extra work is well worth it because I'm consistently getting better shaves than I've ever had in my life, and I'm getting them without having razor burn, bumps, nicks, etc.

It takes me longer to shave now, but I'm retired and time is no object and I actually enjoy the time spent shaving, whereas before shaving was a chore that I hated with a passion. The extra time it takes me is spent going for a BBS shave each time. If I were still working I could speed things up and still get a DFS shave and not be late for work.

I am VERY happy that I switched back after all these years. It's ONLY because I didn't know how to DE shave properly many years ago that I was ever sucked in to the multiblade system. Had I been getting only DFS shaves I would have seen quickly that the "new" system was inferior. But I was getting lousy shaves back then and that's what made me switch. If only the internet and this forum had been around in those days I think the story would have been very different.

0 396
 06-07-2012, 07:34 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-07-2012, 07:17 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-07-2012, 07:06 PM)gijames Wrote: Biggrin

Yes it's very much like that. It didn't take me long to learn to manipulate the razor itself i.e. holding it at the proper angle. All that came back pretty quickly. In the past though I had very few options and no proper technique either so I'm finding there is a LOT to learn if you want to do it right. To me this extra work is well worth it because I'm consistently getting better shaves than I've ever had in my life, and I'm getting them without having razor burn, bumps, nicks, etc.

It takes me longer to shave now, but I'm retired and time is no object and I actually enjoy the time spent shaving, whereas before shaving was a chore that I hated with a passion. The extra time it takes me is spent going for a BBS shave each time. If I were still working I could speed things up and still get a DFS shave and not be late for work.

I am VERY happy that I switched back after all these years. It's ONLY because I didn't know how to DE shave properly many years ago that I was ever sucked in to the multiblade system. Had I been getting only DFS shaves I would have seen quickly that the "new" system was inferior. But I was getting lousy shaves back then and that's what made me switch. If only the internet and this forum had been around in those days I think the story would have been very different.

I understand about the *time needed vs results*. I mostly work from home now, so I shave 3-4 times a week at night! There is no way I could ever plan to have that time in the morning- the cartridge world was good to me up until I hit 38 yrs of age. My skin changed!

So due to my body changing, I read about Straights (way too much involvement for me), and Safety Razors (I remember my Grandpa doing it, and he made it look fun!)

My choice was the DE wetshave Smile

The beginning of it was a mixed bag, close shaves with my Merkur 34c HD, but my skin would still get irritated. My technique and use of products had to improve.

I too am very grateful for the internet (B&B,YouTube,TSN, etc), but just as important- the VENDORS! Wetshaving vendors tend to be some of the most passionate folks for their wares. Certainly, RoyalShave, BullGoose, WestCoastShaving, and B/S/T ers have all contributed to a *healthy* hobby that I enjoy!

Oh, I know that my shaves have greatly improved just by adding Shaving Oil prior to lathering. This has produced some of my best non-irritated skin, close shaves!

Blessings,
--james

9 1,684
 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
[/quote]

...To me this extra work is well worth it because I'm consistently getting better shaves than I've ever had in my life, and I'm getting them without having razor burn, bumps, nicks, etc.

I am VERY happy that I switched back after all these years. [/quote]

Uncle Dave, it is an awesome thing getting great shaves now, isn't it? Your quotes above, sum it up for numerous other people as well. Happy Shaving, sir!

0 28
 06-07-2012, 07:45 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info

...To me this extra work is well worth it because I'm consistently getting better shaves than I've ever had in my life, and I'm getting them without having razor burn, bumps, nicks, etc.

I am VERY happy that I switched back after all these years. [/quote]

Uncle Dave, it is an awesome thing getting great shaves now, isn't it? Your quotes above, sum it up for numerous other people as well. Happy Shaving, sir!
[/quote]

Indeed it is! Thanks Troy!

0 396
 06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
User Info
It is all about experimenting. Most razors, in theory, should provide you with a close shave, but some may do it better for you depending on how you get along with them. The fun of experimenting. Good luck.

75 20,883