03-08-2015, 01:46 PM
User Info
Hi Gents,
I just ordered the Phoenix double open comb razor after looking at it longingly for weeks. I've read tons of reviews and watched YouTube videos and was wondering if any of you guys have used it, if so what are your thoughts?
George N

8 264
 03-08-2015, 01:56 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I'm a bit curious myself. I always wanted to try a Grand Shave King, which was clearly the inspiration. I'm always leery of Zamak razors, but the manufacturer was admirably forthright in the product description. (I don't see "zinc alloy" on most other Zamak razor info pages.) Also, anything other than Zamak would have cost at least three times as much to make, if even possible, so I'm. Looking forward to feedback. :-)

22 828
 03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
User Info
I bought mine based on this review
mod edit : video link removed
and it is pretty much that good.
I dislike some production residues of the casting inside the comb and the handle is not a keeper, it is what it is by material. Do not expect to be thrilled if you have high end razors.
I find it looks  less desireable when you have it in hand than when watching it in the video
Pros: The design is something special and it translates well into function... Thumbsup Worth having, note I included the cons

21 1,175
 03-08-2015, 02:43 PM
User Info
I do love my open combs, R41, Fatip, Pearl and Symmetry and I'm hoping this will be a bit more forgiving as even with 35+ years of wet shaving under my belt I still have a tendency to shave over more than I should. I will review it when it comes in and give my humble opinion, lol.
George N

8 264
 03-08-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
George
I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. It is mild and allows to go over one spot several times. My favourite Razor is the R41; this compliments it
Have a great week

21 1,175
 03-08-2015, 08:54 PM
User Info
It is very mild. You really can blade buff quite a bit. I do not like the weight of it but I do think that the lightness of the razor lends itself to the overall mild feel. I like this razor but think that it might be better for some of my head shaves. I did try and do some back to back daily shaving and I do think it works well with my beard for that. It worked great for doing a cleanup pass after a straight shave and a day after a shave using my R41.

I do think what is nice is that the ability for the market to produce mild razors that are ever increasing in the efficiency. I think that my skin and beard prefers more aggressive razors. I still need to play with various blades and see if I can get some positive results with a shim. One more comment, the teeth on the base plate are not mild. They definitely press into the skin. I am not saying they are sharp but it is the total opposite of a solid bar in sense of the feel on the face when it goes across the skin.

79 1,338
 03-08-2015, 09:20 PM
User Info
I've heard mostly positive reviews on the Phoenix dbl OC.

11 132
 03-09-2015, 01:54 AM
User Info
(03-08-2015, 08:54 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: It is very mild. You really can blade buff quite a bit. I do not like the weight of it but I do think that the lightness of the razor lends itself to the overall mild feel. I like this razor but think that it might be better for some of my head shaves. I did try and do some back to back daily shaving and I do think it works well with my beard for that. It worked great for doing a cleanup pass after a straight shave and a day after a shave using my R41.

I do think what is nice is that the ability for the market to produce mild razors that are ever increasing in the efficiency. I think that my skin and beard prefers more aggressive razors. I still need to play with various blades and see if I can get some positive results with a shim. One more comment, the teeth on the base plate are not mild. They definitely press into the skin. I am not saying they are sharp but it is the total opposite of a solid bar in sense of the feel on the face when it goes across the skin.

Thank you, I have been looking for something that would be good for the day after an R41 shave. I really like a more aggressive shave and needed something in between mild and aggressive after the R41. My straight is out for honing so I used a Dovo shavette, normally I would use my pearl the day after but that along with the Fatip is just a little more aggressive than I need so it's good to hear I made the right decision on the Phoenix double OC, sounds perfect, I will post a review when it comes in. One other thing, I only have an iPad at the moment, changing Internet companies, I'm no computer whiz but how do you post pics?  

8 264
 03-09-2015, 02:05 AM
User Info
(03-09-2015, 01:54 AM)George N Wrote:
(03-08-2015, 08:54 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: It is very mild. You really can blade buff quite a bit. I do not like the weight of it but I do think that the lightness of the razor lends itself to the overall mild feel. I like this razor but think that it might be better for some of my head shaves. I did try and do some back to back daily shaving and I do think it works well with my beard for that. It worked great for doing a cleanup pass after a straight shave and a day after a shave using my R41.

Thank you, I have been looking for something that would be good for the day after an R41 shave. I really like a more aggressive shave and needed something in between mild and aggressive after the R41. My straight is out for honing so I used a Dovo shavette, normally I would use my pearl the day after but that along with the Fatip is just a little more aggressive than I need so it's good to hear I made the right decision on the Phoenix double OC, sounds perfect, I will post a review when it comes in. One other thing, I only have an iPad at the moment, changing Internet companies, I'm no computer whiz but how do you post pics?  

I just figured out the pic issue, lol. Thank goodness I have a smart wife Wink

8 264
 11-10-2015, 01:27 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
My RAD has been dormant for years since I found four razors that work perfectly for me. Nothing else really interested me since there is really nothing different or better out there than what I already use (I tried lots of razors before coming to this realization). Recently, however, I saw the razor that interested me. It is the Phoenix DOC razor. This one actually looks different that other DE razors. The bottom plate is an open comb type, which is fairly normal save for a larger arc than most OCs, but the interesting part is the top plate. It is also open comb to match the base plate. This makes sense to me, actually. There is less surface area to scrape against the skin, so more glide. So I purchased one. It came in a simple cardboard display box, no blades, which is fine and a microfiber cloth to keep the razor shiny. Really appreciate the cloth, nice touch. The quality of the razor is excellent. It is very light because of the highly slotted top plate and open comb base plate and hollowed out handle. I assume the handle has been lightened up to keep a better balance with a relatively light head. The knurling on the handle is excellent and very grippy. The light weight of the razor does not bother me at all. The balance of the tool is excellent. Tried it in my shave today and really liked it. It is not super mild as some reported. I would place it around Progress on 3 or so. The performance is excellent. Got a very smooth and comfy shave. The blade feel is prominent, the sound is also prominent, but the action is medium mild/aggressive. The way the top plate works is really good, keeping more soap on the skin. I really enjoyed this razor and will use it for the next few shaves to see how it works in the long term. The first impression is certainly very good. The quality, fit and finish, performance and price of $35 are very, very good. Stay tuned for further impressions.

26 1,739
 11-10-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
It is an old design that was copied without paying credit to it- but
You are rightly enthusiastic about it,  it is  a_good razor.  ... Cool

21 1,175
 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM
User Info
Who deserves the credit?

61 3,796
 11-10-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
I had to do a search, as I forgot the details of the original design. It was called

(Grand) "Shave King Self Lubricating Razor".

The Phoenix version is pretty nice a design itself; I have some reservations about the casting on mine( looks not like the item seen online), it is not smooth between the teeth, so to speak. But fair!
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=30013

21 1,175
 11-10-2015, 01:51 PM
User Info
Ahhhh, thanks!

61 3,796
 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Threads merged.

102 18,647
 11-10-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
I would have considered it if it was sold by another vendor.

8 98
 11-11-2015, 07:39 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(11-10-2015, 03:19 PM)ofercohen Wrote: I would have considered it if it was sold by another vendor.

I know many people are upset about the HTGAM debacle, but how long are we going to hold this grudge? Seriously, US elections get stolen and we elect the same person for the second term, that's ok, but a soap vendor pulls a publicity stunt (the kind that most corporate vendors pull on daily basis) and you will not try a great razor from him? I understand your position, just don't see the proportionality if it.

26 1,739
 11-11-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
Vladimir,
it does depends on how it is done.

In the soap case there has been all kind of abuse of the media, interviewing himself, fake rave reviews. Then it gets too much.
With this razor, it was all about Phoenix being in for reinventing the_razor itself. Now for some time it seems the Original design is indeed quoted on the page. If you would have read about it a few more months ago, as I remember there was no such quote.

What was the name of the company again? Growamustache? Now it has been PAA, and a new name, Crown shaving is already on. The business practices may be getting better, still...  it comes with a story

21 1,175
 11-11-2015, 12:52 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(11-11-2015, 10:40 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Vladimir,
it does depends on how it is done.

In the soap case there has been all kind of abuse of the media, interviewing himself, fake rave reviews. Then it gets too much.
With this razor, it was all about Phoenix being in for reinventing the_razor itself. Now for some time it seems the Original design is indeed quoted on the page. If you would have read about it a few more months ago, as I remember there was no such quote.

What was the name of the company again? Growamustache? Now it has been PAA, and a new name, Crown shaving is already on. The business practices may be getting better, still...  it comes with a story

No argument from me that the shenanigans of the "How to Grow a Mustache" (HTGAM) and a sister company Petal Pusher Fancies (apparently owned and operated by the same person) were terrible and certainly deserve scrutiny. Also with the reference of the original design of this razor. Seems the person running these operations has a problem of some sort. This is why I will never ever enter in any kind of important or meaningful contract with someone like that. Buying a $35 razor, however does not constitute that for me. I was curious enough about the razor and was fully aware of the history of this outfit. I also had dealings with the PPF people before the scandal that was more of a business arrangement and was treated in a very professional and courteous manner. Still, I acknowledge the shenanigans and their effect on trust of the potential customers. Still, the curiosity about this razor overcame the $35 principle and I bought the razor. It is a good razor and is as advertised. In fact most of the products these guys sell are excellent. It's the PR they create that has problems. The soaps from HTGAM and PPF were excellent and I still have and use a few of the PPF soaps and really enjoy them a lot. I have not bought anything from the latest incarnation, Phoenix, until this razor and I am not likely to buy any soap from them as I simply do not need any more and when I do I go for Mike's Naturals (again, after trying many soaps I think Mike's is the best for me). Still, I think this is a worthwhile razor to try and no one else sells anything like this. This is why I bought it. The principle of a $35 purchase is simply not that meaningful to me. That's my own deal and I do not expect others to agree or follow suit. I simply think there are more important moral issues out there to give energy to than shaving soaps and razors.

26 1,739
 11-11-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
(11-10-2015, 01:36 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: It is an old design that was copied without paying credit to it- but
You are rightly enthusiastic about it,  it is  a_good razor.  ... Cool

He names the inspiration for the razor on his product page for the DOC.

"The Phoenix Dbl OC is based on the classic Self Lubricating Grand Razor, a masterpiece in both design and concept!"

4 180