03-09-2015, 01:45 AM
User Info

What's the advantage/disadvantage of a fixed and pivot head razor?

0 29
 03-09-2015, 03:58 PM
User Info
I believe the pivot is to make getting the correct angle more idiot-proof.  The head rides along your face, freeing you from having to get the angle exactly right.

0 1,099
 03-09-2015, 09:47 PM
User Info
They are pretty good for head shavers IMHO, but can't get closer than my Trac II or any of my DE 's.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-10-2015, 01:30 AM
User Info
(03-09-2015, 03:58 PM)Shannon Wrote: I believe the pivot is to make getting the correct angle more idiot-proof.  The head rides along your face, freeing you from having to get the angle exactly right.

So do you think it's better to shave face with a pivot head??  I have a Mach 3 and Schick hydro,but was looking at Bic comfort 3 sensitive disposables at Target and they have fixed heads.   Probably wont buy.....Thank you!

0 29
 03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
User Info
I'm primarily a DE shaver. A DE is probably closer to a non-pivoting disposable than one with a pivoting head, so it's definitely possible to get a good shave without the pivot.  Of course, you're also talking about different brands, which probably have different blades in them.  Different blades will likely perform differently.  I remember BICs being a little too "tuggy" for my tastes.  There's also a cost factor to consider - extra features cost more; you need to decide if the extra cost is worth it.

If I'm reaching for a cartridge or disposable razor, it's probably because I'm in a hurry, and I think a pivoting head can help you get a comfortable shave faster.  So all else being equal, I'd probably go for the pivot option, but with the other variables involved, you might have to try a few different razors before you find out what you like best.

0 1,099
 03-10-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
(03-10-2015, 09:36 AM)Shannon Wrote: I'm primarily a DE shaver. A DE is probably closer to a non-pivoting disposable than one with a pivoting head, so it's definitely possible to get a good shave without the pivot.  Of course, you're also talking about different brands, which probably have different blades in them.  Different blades will likely perform differently.  I remember BICs being a little too "tuggy" for my tastes.  There's also a cost factor to consider - extra features cost more; you need to decide if the extra cost is worth it.

If I'm reaching for a cartridge or disposable razor, it's probably because I'm in a hurry, and I think a pivoting head can help you get a comfortable shave faster.  So all else being equal, I'd probably go for the pivot option, but with the other variables involved, you might have to try a few different razors before you find out what you like best.

0 29
 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
Hi Shannon,

Nice reply.  I also use a DE Razor and enjoy it very much.  I too would go for the pivot head which I use.. ...Mach 3 and Schick Hydro.
    The Bic comfort 3 looked nice at the time,but wont buy....Will stay with what I got.

Thanks again,

Frank M.

0 29
 03-10-2015, 04:22 PM
User Info
(03-10-2015, 09:36 AM)Shannon Wrote: I'm primarily a DE shaver. A DE is probably closer to a non-pivoting disposable than one with a pivoting head, so it's definitely possible to get a good shave without the pivot.  Of course, you're also talking about different brands, which probably have different blades in them.  Different blades will likely perform differently.  I remember BICs being a little too "tuggy" for my tastes.  There's also a cost factor to consider - extra features cost more; you need to decide if the extra cost is worth it.

0 29
 03-12-2015, 12:31 AM
User Info
I have never been a fan of Bic's, although they have now entered the system market. The angle of the blade seems to come quite naturally to me, just let it glide without pressure.
I regularly switch between first generation carts and the latest releases from Schick/Gillette without any issues. Mach 3 and Hydro 3 are both great systems.

Wilkinson Sword/Schick first/second generation fixed twin blade carts and systems are a good alternative to modern carts...

0 280
 03-23-2015, 12:11 AM
User Info
When I use a disposable I use either of these. 
Schick Xtreme 3 Disposable
Wilkinson Sword Tech 3

I like them to travel with. I was using the Schick Extreme 3 disposable before I came back to using DE Razors.

0 129
 03-23-2015, 05:28 AM
  • cnj01
  • Central California
User Info
Been DE shaving now for over a year now, just recently started to head shave and have been using a pivot head cartridge. Have not had enough courage to use the DE on my head, heck when I started head shaving with a pivot head I still cut a few chunks out of my head but I have the pivot down now. Will attempt the DE on the head soon. 

11 68
 03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
User Info
(03-23-2015, 05:28 AM)cnj01 Wrote: Been DE shaving now for over a year now, just recently started to head shave and have been using a pivot head cartridge. Have not had enough courage to use the DE on my head, heck when I started head shaving with a pivot head I still cut a few chunks out of my head but I have the pivot down now. Will attempt the DE on the head soon. 

I've read that SEs are good for head shaving, especially something like a GEM that has a broad, flat head. Supposedly, it's easier to get the angle right. I don't have any personal experience with head shaving, however.

0 1,099
 03-24-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
I would rather run an injector over my head than a DE any day. Thankfully, I am not a head shaver yet...

0 280