03-09-2015, 06:24 AM
User Info
I have 5 safety razors and 2 Feather non folding straight razors. My problem is finding the correct angle for maximum results for each. I went into my old time Italian barber and told him what I was using in razors, cremes, soap and oils and he shared this with me. Why in the world would you practice angles and pressure on your face. He said he was taught to take a new razor safety or straight and shave the back of his hand. He said you can clearly see the angle, the hair removed, pressure and if you cut yourself. It made perfect sense. He also said I wouldn't look as stupid wearing a bandaid on the back of my hand then on my face.

6 161
 03-09-2015, 06:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've never done that with a DE but I have with a straight.  Lower arm, just above the wrist.  If you really want to see how good you are, blow up a balloon and shave it.  But be somewhere easy to clean up in because when the balloon pops, lather will go everywhere. 

175 23,752
 03-09-2015, 08:36 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Better use your underarm, there are a lot of veins on the back of the hand, if you cut yourself it will be a mess. With a DE place the cap against your cheek and start to move down while tilting the handle downward until you feel the blade cutting, from there it may take some adjustment to obtain the best cutting angle but you'll be very close. With the DX place the holder against your cheek and then move it a few millimeter away from the skin, that should do it.

28 1,433