03-10-2015, 07:02 AM
User Info
I bought an extra pot of this - as if I need backups, with over 160 creams/soaps in my den  Blush

To my surprise the new pot was filled up with a soft gel like runny cream, where's my old version is more like a hard cream, maybe even a croap.

In my short test, the new soft one performs worse than the older harder one.
Sort of like the new Acca Kappa 1869 soft mess of a cream performs worse than the old Acca Kappa 1869 croap does.

It's not a bad cream per se, just not the same slickness as the old version had.
And not the same explosion of lather. 

24 6,018
 03-10-2015, 01:50 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Interested to see how this plays out.  My experience was a plus in slickness dept but it took some work and a hefty load on the brush.  Thanks for the heads up!

7 325
 03-10-2015, 02:09 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Referring to my jar I've had for about a year... One of my very favorites.

Scent is wonderful. In the same vein as the AdP Colonia, but different obviously. And almost as lovable, IMO. (And the AdP scent is the highest of standard to match, IMO again).

Performance is top notch. I find it very hydrating and protective during the shave and the face feels soft and moist and healthy after the shave.

I use it as a cream, I don't load it as a soap in the jar (but I used to)... I find it too difficult to know and control how much product is being loaded if I load like a soap, due to its unique consistency, but ymmv. Just easier and more reliable for me using as a cream (scooping some out).

Sorry Claus, but for all of us I'm hoping your jar is a one-off.

62 3,005
 03-10-2015, 02:24 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I ordered a jar from Juan (Gifts and Care) over the Winter and it seemed pretty liquidy.  I haven't tried to use it yet, though the warm weather has me yearning for some warm weather scents, but will give it a thorough workout sometime soon. 

148 2,820
 03-10-2015, 02:31 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Mine is nothing near liquid for what its worth. 

7 325
 03-10-2015, 05:43 PM
User Info
Don't like what I'm hearing... Has a reformulation been officially confirmed??

65 799
 03-11-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
After reading through the list of ingredients, I see they lists are identical, so it might just be a bad batch.  
I just repurchased a pot of TF&H Rose cream (it was on sale, my first and only rose cream) the same thing happened to me. 
My first pot of TF&H Rose cream was bought in 2012 and it was the same thin runny gobbly mess. The one I purchased yesterday to my surprise was more like a hard cream, almost croap like, much like my 7 other TF&H creams. The first was so thin, the rose cream was all over the pot, almost on the outside of the lid. 
I think the same thing is happening with my Alvarez Gomez cream. Batch variations are something we don't discuss here enough. 
I will post a thread about batch variations on the forum soon. Should make an interesting debate. 
Cheers, Claus

24 6,018
 03-12-2015, 01:50 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks Claus!

62 3,005
 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-11-2015, 05:55 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: After reading through the list of ingredients, I see they lists are identical, so it might just be a bad batch.  
I just repurchased a pot of TF&H Rose cream (it was on sale, my first and only rose cream) the same thing happened to me. 
My first pot of TF&H Rose cream was bought in 2012 and it was the same thin runny gobbly mess. The one I purchased yesterday to my surprise was more like a hard cream, almost croap like, much like my 7 other TF&H creams. The first was so thin, the rose cream was all over the pot, almost on the outside of the lid. 
I think the same thing is happening with my Alvarez Gomez cream. Batch variations are something we don't discuss here enough. 
I will post a thread about batch variations on the forum soon. Should make an interesting debate. 
Cheers, Claus

I wonder, also, if both of our creams were exposed to freezing temperatures which could have caused a change in consistency.  Temperature variances can cause damage to certain chemical compounds as I have learned being in an industry that has several products that are not freeze/thaw stable and not shippable in the Winter.

148 2,820
 03-27-2015, 08:05 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I decided to use my Alvarez Gomez shaving cream this morning as we passed the 70 degree temperature mark for the first time yesterday.  In preparation I stirred the cream for a minute or so with a chop stick which thickened the cream considerably, but there were still small grainy bits causing me to doubt its performance potential.  For the shave I scooped out a generous portion and smeared it on my face.  The graininess was very apparent, feeling like a very mild exfoliating cream as I rubbed it in a bit with my fingers.  I was already mentally preparing a backup plan at this point, but grabbed my vintage Perlex (Plisson) brush and proceeded to attempt to face lather.  Much to my surprise the grainy flecks quickly dissolved and as the cream and water began to mix the lather was beginning to form.  A few water additions later I had a very nice creamy lather which remained stable throughout each pass and provided a very slick and pleasant shaving experience.  To top it off the cream has a wonderful citrus and mildly floral scent that I thoroughly enjoy.  I started the day worried that I had a moderately expensive cream that I was going to bin and it turned out that instead I have a top shelf performing cream that smells great!  The one thing that I did not take note of was the post shave feel which I will focus on this weekend.  Claus, I don't think you have anything to worry about either. 

148 2,820
 03-27-2015, 09:46 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-27-2015, 08:05 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I decided to use my Alvarez Gomez shaving cream this morning as we passed the 70 degree temperature mark for the first time yesterday. In preparation I stirred the cream for a minute or so with a chop stick which thickened the cream considerably, but there were still small grainy bits causing me to doubt its performance potential. For the shave I scooped out a generous portion and smeared it on my face. The graininess was very apparent, feeling like a very mild exfoliating cream as I rubbed it in a bit with my fingers. I was already mentally preparing a backup plan at this point, but grabbed my vintage Perlex (Plisson) brush and proceeded to attempt to face lather. Much to my surprise the grainy flecks quickly dissolved and as the cream and water began to mix the lather was beginning to form. A few water additions later I had a very nice creamy lather which remained stable throughout each pass and provided a very slick and pleasant shaving experience. To top it off the cream has a wonderful citrus and mildly floral scent that I thoroughly enjoy. I started the day worried that I had a moderately expensive cream that I was going to bin and it turned out that instead I have a top shelf performing cream that smells great! The one thing that I did not take note of was the post shave feel which I will focus on this weekend. Claus, I don't think you have anything to worry about either.

You might have an old batch like mine, which has the little specs in it.
But your review nailed my experiences as well: great lather and great scent.
One of the best for spring IMO! Great choice!

62 3,005
 03-30-2015, 07:49 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I continued using this cream through the weekend and it has changed my view on creams altogether.  The lather is very slick and stable as well as providing a light moisturizing effect post-shave.  Considering my skin can get oily in the warm weather I wouldn't want any additional moisturizing properties.  I have eliminated all shaving creams from my rotation except for this and Simpsons Citrus Burst.  I enjoy the ritual of loading from a puck of soap so much that I unfairly cast off most of my creams.  I will be reconsidering this bias as I move forward, though I don't plan on making many purchases over the next couple years as I am knee deep in soaps.

148 2,820
 03-30-2015, 11:28 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Yeah, I never understood the conspiracy against creams. If anything they are more moisturizing and easier to load than soaps, which are two of the things people base their favorite SOAP on, so it just never made any sense to me.
Glad you see the value in seeking some creams if and when in the future.

62 3,005