03-10-2015, 12:21 PM
User Info
Some are good and interesting, others just are something to endure to get to growing things and better weather.

We've had a number of warmer days and the snowpack is slowly melting. That means mud. It's just one of those things we endure to get grass and such.

But for the past few warm days the guinea fowl have been wanting to get past me when I change their water and give them their corn. They've been cooped up for months and I don't blame them for wanting to get out to stretch their wings and legs. But they don't recognize snow as something that can be walked on, so they stay cooped up during that. Today I took some wood ashes and turned the ice in front of their coop grey/black. They wasted no time in coming out. It's good to see them walking around and exercising. They can't dust themselves yet since the ground is still mostly frozen but they did try. Nor do they have anything to eat yet since nothing is growing, but they were able to move around a bit.

As I wrote, little things. They mean something to us, but maybe not so much to city folks.

32 6,445
 03-10-2015, 12:31 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, what makes you so sure that city folk don't have their own "little things"?  When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, the flowering of forsythia (the official flower of Brooklyn: http://brooklynology.brooklynpubliclibra...lower.aspx) and the first robin were always the beginning of spring and warmer weather for me.  No matter where one lives, spring represents the promise of better things to come; I like that. Smile

2 11,211
 03-10-2015, 12:35 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

Good to hear those little signs of Springtime are beginning to appear in your area Aaaaa

I'm hoping to see crocuses make an appearance above ground here sometime within the next couple of weeks...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-10-2015, 01:40 PM
User Info
(03-10-2015, 12:31 PM)freddy Wrote: Brian, what makes you so sure that city folk don't have their own "little things"?  When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, the flowering of forsythia (the official flower of Brooklyn: http://brooklynology.brooklynpubliclibra...lower.aspx) and the first robin were always the beginning of spring and warmer weather for me.  No matter where one lives, spring represents the promise of better things to come; I like that. Smile

What I wrote could be taken as that Freddy, but what I was specifically referring to was the subject of the post that I wrote. Context is extremely important.

What I meant is that the post might have driven some folks to boredom.

32 6,445
 03-10-2015, 02:22 PM
User Info
Hiya...

For my area in is the return of the Robins, Bluebirds, and the melodic chirping of the Cardinals, which is starting.  I am amazed at how loud a Cardinal can sing.

Ed

21 751
 03-10-2015, 03:23 PM
User Info
For us here in VA its the Robins, Tulips, & Daffodils returning. My Koi also starting to stir in the pond. Glad to see it that's for sure! Only draw back is we saw our first stink bug chilling in the sun today. Bleh!

147 3,460
 03-10-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
Little holes in the topsoil where the birds and squirrels have begun to poke and prod.
Crocus and daffodil show their early sprout.
A soft earthy scent in the air.
The first few ants appear in the kitchen.
Ahhh..........Spring

0 52
 03-11-2015, 04:23 PM
User Info
Well, the scent of skunk is once again in the air as the kits leave their dens and spray everything in sight. 

8 240
 03-11-2015, 05:25 PM
User Info
I love spring. Even down here where it normally warmer through the winter months, it's still great to see the kids out playing, folks coming out to work in the lawn or garden, the trees blooming.

31 1,800