06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
After going through the pleasant experiencing of doing business with Rod_Neep and ending up with two (very) nice shaving brushes (even if I do say so myself), I thought it only fair that dad (I) should also be a proud owner of a couple of Rod_Neep shaving brush handles...

Results of shaving brush handle No 1 can be seen here: Amber "Dumpy Vase"

Handle specs of shaving brush handle No 2:
  • Material - Onyx
  • Dimensions - Height: 100mm / Loft: 52mm / Base: 48mm / Knot: 24mm / Knot hole diameter: 24mm / Knot hole depth: 18mm
  • Handle shape name - Dumpy Vase (unless someone comes up with a better fitting name).
Seeing as I've been so impressed with The Golden Nib - 20mm Two Band Finest Badger knot I used on this re-knotting project, I decided to purchase a 24mm Two Band Finest Badger from The Golden Nib and install it in shaving brush handle No 2.

Below are the results of Rod's first class work and my minimal involvement of gluing (via 5 Minute Epoxy) the 24mm Two Band Finest Badger knot into the knot hole.

[Image: xz7yD.jpg]

The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot)

[Image: Gts9i.jpg]

The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot)

[Image: 2b5bw.jpg]

Onyx "Dumpy Vase" handle & The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot)

[Image: IDPop.jpg]

Onyx "Dumpy Vase" handle

[Image: EYxzQ.jpg]

Onyx "Dumpy Vase" handle & The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot)

The "Dumpy Vase" handle shape is very similar to the Vie-Long Zurito - 13061 Horse Hair shaving brush handle, therefore in my book it's an absolutely joy to hold in the hand, extremely comfortable, and the Onyx material used is very elegant.

Post-bloom photos to follow at a later date...

Below are a couple of photos of shaving brush handles No 1 and No 2 together.

[Image: FYEk7.jpg]

Onyx "Dumpy Vase" handle / Amber "Dumpy Vase" handle

[Image: siGry.jpg]

Amber "Dumpy Vase" handle & The Golden Nib - 20mm Silvertip Grade A (bulb knot) / Onyx "Dumpy Vase" handle & The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot)

Personally I'm really pleased with both brushes, but if I had to choose just one, based on overall looks I would have to go with the stunning Amber, it really is extremely striking...

23 1,872
 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
Both very nice! I am sure that whoever will use these will be pleased!

1 2,827
 06-07-2012, 08:59 PM
User Info
Nice job on the brushes, Mike.

75 20,883
 06-10-2012, 12:25 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Ok,you got me : I just ordered a handle to put a 24 mm finest badger hair that I have somewhere on my den.
The brushes looks great,Mike!

86 7,123
 06-10-2012, 06:10 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Thank you gents Thumbsup

I'm looking forward to using both these brushes in the wild this coming week, post-bloom photos and performance review of brushes to follow...

Teiste, I look forward to seeing the handle you get and how the brush turns out once you install the knot.

23 1,872
 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-07-2012, 03:36 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Post-bloom photos to follow at a later date...

So far so good with The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot), set at a loft height of 52mm.

Tips of the hairs are soft, makes face lathering enjoyable and very comfortable, but the knot overall has good backbone and isn't floppy in the slightest.

The knot is well packed, but not overly so, therefore isn't a lather hog ie Offers good flow through, lather is released without a fight.

To date (used 2 times) the knot hasn't lost a single hair.

Knot has no problem holding enough lather for multiple passes (3 passes is my maximum).

[Image: 14UpA.jpg]

Onyx "Dumpy Vase" handle & The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot, post bloom)

[Image: t22Ex.jpg]

Onyx "Dumpy Vase" handle & The Golden Nib - 24mm Two Band Finest Badger (bulb knot, post bloom)

23 1,872
 06-22-2012, 03:37 PM
User Info
Mike, a pair of beautiful brushes. Sounds like you are enjoying the onyx brush and it is performing well for you. Thanks for sharing the pics.

29 1,731
 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-22-2012, 03:37 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: Mike, a pair of beautiful brushes. Sounds like you are enjoying the onyx brush and it is performing well for you. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hi William

Thank you. I am enjoying that brush, plus the other three that have handles made by Rod (honestly his workmanship is first class).

I also like the three different The Golden Nib knots I've used in those brushes, all offer something slightly different, all seem to be of good to high quality, but to date I'm finding I favour the Two Band Finest over the Silvertips. Sometime in the near future I plan to write up my findings, opinions, on the three different The Golden Nib knots I now have experience with...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-23-2012, 07:05 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Great looking Brushes Mike!

they remind me more of green and yellow jade though

9 1,684
 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Reworked shaving brush due to some of the stuff I posted here...

Dumpy Vase "Onyx" shaving brush handle fitted with (reused) 24mm 2-Band Finest Badger:
  • Height: 100mm
  • Loft: 52mm
  • Base: 48mm
  • Knot: 24mm
  • Knot hole diameter: 26mm
  • Knot hole depth: 17mm
[Image: hcHIjka.jpg]

After: Dumpy Vase "Onyx" handle -- Knot hole widened from 24mm to 26mm

[Image: 2SXytVT.jpg]

After: Dumpy Vase "Onyx" handle & (reused) The Golden Nib - 24mm 2-Band Finest Badger (bulb knot) -- Knot hole widened from 24mm to 26mm

[Image: qOZohmL.jpg]

After: Dumpy Vase "Onyx" handle & (reused) The Golden Nib - 24mm 2-Band Finest Badger (bulb knot) -- Knot hole widened from 24mm to 26mm

[Image: TY59lRG.jpg]

[Image: 8CLfFlZ.jpg]

[Image: nniofss.jpg]

[Image: rsUFMv3.jpg]

After: Post-bloom -- Dumpy Vase "Onyx" handle & (reused) The Golden Nib - 24mm 2-Band Finest Badger (bulb knot) -- Knot hole widened from 24mm to 26mm

Edit: Headings under photos corrected.

23 1,872
 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
User Info
Absolutely stunning. I'm quite jealous!

8 124
 05-02-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
That "Onyx" handle is good looking.

Enjoy!

1 2,827