03-11-2015, 01:06 PM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
Gentlemen, I am happy to announce that I am now an Artisan on Shave Nook. Allow me to tell you a little about myself. I am retired, and have been a wet shaver since I was old enough to shave, some 50 years ago. I use DE razors, mostly vintage Gillettes. I have also been a very serious hobbyist woodworker for about 35 years, and since my retirement 8 years ago, have pursued woodworking as an avocation. I build furniture, jewelry boxes, accessories, etc., and have work in several galleries in North Carolina.

Over the years, I have dabbled in making brush handles, razor handles, etc., but never with any serious intent. For the past year or so, I have been working on making wood shaving handles with the goal of making a product that is beautiful and durable. I have come to the conclusion that resin stabilizing the brush blanks provides the necessary durability. I use various finishes depending upon the desired look and feel. Each of the handles that I make receives great attention to detail. I always coat the knot socket with epoxy, allowing a full cure before gluing the knot itself in place. In most cases, I also epoxy the knot into place, unless the customer would like the option to remove the knot, and reset at a different loft, in which case I will use silicone adhesive. I only use West Systems long cure epoxy, not 5 minute epoxy, or other shorter setting varieties. I feel that this is the strongest, most waterproof, and most durable option for an item that may be subject to daily soakings. 

I also restore vintage brush handles of all types, and restore Gillette DE razors. I can dis-assemble, clean, and fix most Gillettes, including the adjustables. I do not do any re-plating. 

Finally, I also make accessories for shaving, including shave stands, cabinets for both display and daily storage of shaving accoutrements. I prefer to make these types of items on a custom basis to suit a specific need. If you have an idea for something that I may be able to help you with, please let me know. 

Here are a few examples of what I do:

Two brushes, the first in padauk, the second in wenge
[Image: cnPKfvd.jpg][Image: MlqxLlU.jpg]

Two more brushes, first in wenge and oak burl, second in black palm
[Image: g3KoJt9.jpg][Image: 42sXkn1.jpg]

Two recent restorations
[Image: lO0btSD.jpg][Image: XZ9jkfP.jpg]

A shaving stand, similar to the one that I use. This one is Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)
[Image: MV0OYue.jpg][Image: j6ximhe.jpg]

I will soon be posting some items for sale. If you have a specific need, a brush, a stand, a case or box, PM me. I do not have a weg page, although I do have a number of my furniture pieces, jewelry boxes, etc. shown on my Facebook page, The Zettl Works.

Thanks for looking, and cheers,

Matt

0 62
 03-11-2015, 01:14 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome, Matt .. to the Artisan Corner.  Best of luck!

102 18,653
 03-11-2015, 01:35 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN! You have some beautiful pieces!

147 3,539
 03-11-2015, 01:54 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
Nice work Matt! Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80 469
 03-11-2015, 01:59 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Welcome, Look forward to seeing more of your work.

59 4,503
 03-11-2015, 02:07 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Welcome to the Artisan Corner, Matt!

26 4,928
 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
I own the third brush. it is beautiful.  matt knows his wood for sure

73 1,297
 03-11-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
(03-11-2015, 01:06 PM)mlzettl Wrote: Gentlemen, I am happy to announce that I am now an Artisan on Shave Nook. Allow me to tell you a little about myself. I am retired, and have been a wet shaver since I was old enough to shave, some 50 years ago. I use DE razors, mostly vintage Gillettes. I have also been a very serious hobbyist woodworker for about 35 years, and since my retirement 8 years ago, have pursued woodworking as an avocation. I build furniture, jewelry boxes, accessories, etc., and have work in several galleries in North Carolina.

Over the years, I have dabbled in making brush handles, razor handles, etc., but never with any serious intent. For the past year or so, I have been working on making wood shaving handles with the goal of making a product that is beautiful and durable. I have come to the conclusion that resin stabilizing the brush blanks provides the necessary durability. I use various finishes depending upon the desired look and feel. Each of the handles that I make receives great attention to detail. I always coat the knot socket with epoxy, allowing a full cure before gluing the knot itself in place. In most cases, I also epoxy the knot into place, unless the customer would like the option to remove the knot, and reset at a different loft, in which case I will use silicone adhesive. I only use West Systems long cure epoxy, not 5 minute epoxy, or other shorter setting varieties. I feel that this is the strongest, most waterproof, and most durable option for an item that may be subject to daily soakings. 

I also restore vintage brush handles of all types, and restore Gillette DE razors. I can dis-assemble, clean, and fix most Gillettes, including the adjustables. I do not do any re-plating. 

Finally, I also make accessories for shaving, including shave stands, cabinets for both display and daily storage of shaving accoutrements. I prefer to make these types of items on a custom basis to suit a specific need. If you have an idea for something that I may be able to help you with, please let me know. 

Here are a few examples of what I do:

Two brushes, the first in padauk, the second in wenge
[Image: cnPKfvd.jpg][Image: MlqxLlU.jpg]

Two more brushes, first in wenge and oak burl, second in black palm
[Image: g3KoJt9.jpg][Image: 42sXkn1.jpg]

Two recent restorations
[Image: lO0btSD.jpg][Image: XZ9jkfP.jpg]

A shaving stand, similar to the one that I use. This one is Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)
[Image: MV0OYue.jpg][Image: j6ximhe.jpg]

I will soon be posting some items for sale. If you have a specific need, a brush, a stand, a case or box, PM me. I do not have a weg page, although I do have a number of my furniture pieces, jewelry boxes, etc. shown on my Facebook page, The Zettl Works.

Thanks for looking, and cheers,

Matt

Matt;
Your work is exceptional. I would be very interested in purchasing items from you when you start to sell your creations. A CUT ABOVE

6 165
 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
User Info
That brush stand is just right. Thank you for sharing your work and for your personal introduction. It is appreciated, if I may say so!

Philipp

21 1,175
 03-11-2015, 04:53 PM
User Info
Nice work.

0 858
 03-11-2015, 04:58 PM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
(03-11-2015, 02:48 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: I own the third brush. it is beautiful.  matt knows his wood for sure
Dave, thanks for that endorsement. I hope that you are doing well, and that you are enjoying the brush. It's one of my favorites.

Also, many thanks to all of the other members here on Shave Nook who have posted such kind and encouraging comments.

Matt

0 62
 03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
Very nice work. Welcome aboard.

16 1,939
 03-11-2015, 05:46 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Beautiful handles, I wil keep a eye out for the sale.

28 1,442
 03-11-2015, 08:52 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hi Matt.  It's good to see you here as an artisan.  Your work is beautiful.  Welcome. Smile

2 11,211
 03-12-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
Congratulations and welcome!

83 21,081
 03-12-2015, 09:43 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
This is beautiful work Matt.  Welcome.  Can't wait to see your future offerings.

18 1,186
 03-12-2015, 09:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Matt, welcome as an Artisan on TSN.  All the best.

178 23,809
 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Welcome. Some really nice work and I particularly like the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 403
 03-12-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
Welcome Matt. The shave stand is very nicely done.

50 6,115
 03-12-2015, 05:08 PM
User Info
Welcome

31 1,800