03-11-2015, 07:41 PM
User Info
Anyone know how to stop this?

If I rub my beard and am wearing a black shirt it looks like it just snowed on me.... pretty embarrassing.

All suggestions welcome!

2 50
 03-12-2015, 09:43 AM
User Info
(03-11-2015, 07:41 PM)sabbaticaljim Wrote: Anyone know how to stop this?

If I rub my beard and am wearing a black shirt it looks like it just snowed on me.... pretty embarrassing.

All suggestions welcome!

pretty sure it's from dry skin.  my beard is the same way and if I rub my face too much, it can make my skin get VERY itchy in some spots.

I used to use this oil wash a while back at the suggestion of a friend due to my very dry and sensitive skin before I even grew out a beard, and then I stopped using it for a while.  I've recently started using it again and it's great!  in fact, the batch I had left over from before ran out the other day and I need to make some more soon!

here's the mix I used: http://shavenook.com/thread-oil-facial-wash

40 5,830
 03-12-2015, 11:39 PM
User Info
you may want to see a derm to have it checked. i had a similar thing for a while a couple years ago (thank BAD BAD flaking) and i tried everything to get rid of it and anything that helped was only short lived. i ended up going in to my normal derm (i have to be checked every 3-4 months because of melanoma) and they did a skin test and checked to see what it was, turns out it was a yeast which they said is VERY common among men with facial hair. she gave me some meds to take for the week and some ketaconazole cream to use for about a month. never have had it since then but i do keep my face very clean and oil free.

her suggestions to me to try before the meds were to keep the skin very dry and clean. use witch hazel 2-3 times a day on the area and some hydrocortisone cream on any itchy areas. and to not let the hair grow out for a while. 

this may not at all be what yours is but she said this is one of the most common reasons men get "facial flakes" is from yeast on the skin.

16 660
 03-15-2015, 03:12 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Witch Hazel,Listerine original-- mix 50-50 and  add some glycerin.The witch Hazel has medicinal qualities and the various ingredients in Listerine all have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties on top of the alcohol content.I  used this mix and added  a bit of tea tree oil  also when I was having a beard-druff problem.The mix without tea tree has a scent that fades away within minutes,with the tea tree the scent will stick around a bit,

0 275
 03-21-2015, 11:12 AM
User Info
I would suggest a Beard Oil.....and when the problem is alleviated continue with a beard balm. 
I have used Proraso ( yes they now have beard and moustache products ), Captain Fawcetts and my particular favorite is Dub's. 

http://www.dubswashere.com/index.html

0 24
 03-21-2015, 03:31 PM
User Info
Beard oil helped me - along with some beard balm. Big Red is my oil of choice.

3 4,374
 04-22-2015, 07:43 PM
User Info
Beard oil will definitely help you out. Big red or honest amish are two great choices.

0 7
 06-19-2015, 07:31 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Every so often during the dry winter months I experience similar with my eyebrows. A little hair conditioner and a few swipes with a hair brush post shower generally puts a stop to that.

4 1,938
 06-19-2015, 11:44 PM
User Info
The thing is you should not touch your beard often or just use one of the best beard spray as well as beard oil,to get rid of your problem

0 3